Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many HC's werent HC's or Coordintators

Veteran
    Seriously, name them??? Its not many,,,I am trying to figure out how many NFL Head coaches were hired without previously being a head coach in college of NFL or a coordinator?????? Why do the Jets settle for inexperienced resume? Its obvious Herm lack the knowledge to game plan and manage a clock because of his lack of being oin charge...Plus he doesnt seem to learning on the job.....Please name them...not many....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I know Andy Reid was never a coordinator or a college HC. Herm has proven to be successful in his first 2 seasons. He definately lacks some skill in areas as discipline and clock management, but he is not a terrible coach either.

Veteran
    Originally posted by southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 10:51 AM
    Seriously, name them??? Its not many,,,I am trying to figure out how many NFL Head coaches were hired without previously being a head coach in college of NFL or a coordinator?????? Why do the Jets settle for inexperienced resume? Its obvious Herm lack the knowledge to game plan and manage a clock because of his lack of being oin charge...Plus he doesnt seem to learning on the job.....Please name them...not many....
    Mike Tice? Wasn't he a line coach?

Richard Williamson was WR coach for the Bucs when he took over for Ray Perkins, then went 2-14.

Wasn't Jerry Glanville a special teams coach?

I don't think John Madden was a coordinator either.

Veteran
    Originally posted by jetman67@Sep 15 2003, 12:55 PM
    I know Andy Reid was never a coordinator or a college HC. Herm has proven to be successful in his first 2 seasons. He definately lacks some skill in areas as discipline and clock management, but he is not a terrible coach either.
    And how long can we survive horrible clock management, bad early season starts that put the team emotionally drained fighting back? So thats 1 with Andy Reis in recent NFL history...how many more??? not many....

Veteran
    Originally posted by BucJeff+Sep 15 2003, 12:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BucJeff @ Sep 15 2003, 12:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 10:51 AM
    Mike Tice? Wasn&#39;t he a line coach?

Richard Williamson was WR coach for the Bucs when he took over for Ray Perkins, then went 2-14.

Wasn&#39;t Jerry Glanville a special teams coach?

I don&#39;t think John Madden was a coordinator either. [/b][/quote]
    Madden was a HC in college........
    Williamson was also a HC in college.........
    Glanville was a DC on 2 NFL teams before being a head coach....
    So Tice is the only one on your list that meets the specs....

Undrafted Free Agent
    coz TB was a noobie GM when he was hired,
    noobie GM hired noobie HC with no HC/coordinator experience.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by jetman67@Sep 15 2003, 10:55 AM
    yea but jetman he inherited a good team to begin with. you or i could have done a decent job as well, that doesnt mean we are good coaches...

Theres an old saying from the communist manifesto criticising capitalism where "eventually, most people rise up to their own level of incompetence..." because a man who does a good job in theory will get promoted. eventually, he is going to get promoted into the one job where he is in over his head and from that point he will not be able to rise any higher
    well, herm may have rose up to his level.

All League
    Originally posted by dickkotite@Sep 15 2003, 11:35 AM

Theres an old saying from the communist manifesto criticising capitalism where "eventually, most people rise up to their own level of incompetence..." because a man who does a good job in theory will get promoted. eventually, he is going to get promoted into the one job where he is in over his head and from that point he will not be able to rise any higher
    well, herm may have rose up to his level.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaa. Isn&#39;t that the "Peter Principle"

Veteran
    OK,,we have 2 so far,,,andy reid and mike tice,,,,with herm that makes 3 in recent memory,,,,any more,,,bradway certain ly didnt follow conventional wisdom by this hire,,,did he???????????

Maxman
    He has made the playoffs in his first 2 seasons. How exactly is he not learning on the job?

His teams get off to a slow start but have always finished strong. Miami does the opposite. Also Herm&#39;s teams have been healthy down the stretch.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Maxman+Sep 15 2003, 03:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Sep 15 2003, 03:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 10:51 AM
    He has made the playoffs in his first 2 seasons. How exactly is he not learning on the job?

His teams get off to a slow start but have always finished strong. Miami does the opposite. Also Herm&#39;s teams have been healthy down the stretch. [/b][/quote]
    He has no clock management skills,,,his teams start slow and w ehave had to go gang busters to get in playoffs and then lose......the idea is to prepare your team to be fresh for playoffs, not having a do or die for the last 10 weeks of season.......plus he inherited a very good team.............with the free agent loses this year we will see his coaching influence more than the last two years........
    R U Happy with clock management,,,he looks like a moron.....no hurry up yesterday until 6 minute mark,,,,no FG with 32 seconds left....come on,,,thats NFL 101...........

Maxman
    Originally posted by southernjet+Sep 15 2003, 01:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (southernjet @ Sep 15 2003, 01:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Maxman@Sep 15 2003, 03:14 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--southernjet
    @Sep 15 2003, 10:51 AM

His teams get off to a slow start but have always finished strong. Miami does the opposite. Also Herm&#39;s teams have been healthy down the stretch.
    He has no clock management skills,,,his teams start slow and w ehave had to go gang busters to get in playoffs and then lose......the idea is to prepare your team to be fresh for playoffs, not having a do or die for the last 10 weeks of season.......plus he inherited a very good team.............with the free agent loses this year we will see his coaching influence more than the last two years........
    R U Happy with clock management,,,he looks like a moron.....no hurry up yesterday until 6 minute mark,,,,no FG with 32 seconds left....come on,,,thats NFL 101........... [/b][/quote]
    I find it amusing that you have the balls to call another human a "moron" after a post filled with grammar errors, spelling mistakes and typos. But that is not the point really.

Herm inherited a team that did not make the playoffs the year before he took over. He inherited a team that nobody wanted to coach by the way.

The grass is always greener with some of you guys. Who should we hire then if Herm was let go?

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by Maxman+Sep 15 2003, 01:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Sep 15 2003, 01:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 01:18 PM

R U Happy with clock management,,,he looks like a moron.....no hurry up yesterday until 6 minute mark,,,,no FG with 32 seconds left....come on,,,thats NFL 101...........
    I find it amusing that you have the balls to call another human a "moron" after a post filled with grammar errors, spelling mistakes and typos. But that is not the point really.

Herm inherited a team that did not make the playoffs the year before he took over. He inherited a team that nobody wanted to coach by the way.

The grass is always greener with some of you guys. Who should we hire then if Herm was let go? [/b][/quote]
    I believe we have our future HC on staff right now....I mean Hackett would be incredible&#33;

Veteran
    Originally posted by Maxman+Sep 15 2003, 03:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Sep 15 2003, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

The grass is always greener with some of you guys. Who should we hire then if Herm was let go? [/b][/quote]
    oh lord ,,u r a a**hole.....to use the grammar thing when its the norm in tech chat room to just type away,,,u must be some anal dickhead at home,,,what a piehole....

Rookie
    Al Groh

Veteran
    Originally posted by kevin45@Sep 15 2003, 03:29 PM
    Al Groh
    Al Groh was haed coach at wake forest

Maxman
    Originally posted by southernjet+Sep 15 2003, 01:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (southernjet @ Sep 15 2003, 01:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Maxman@Sep 15 2003, 03:25 PM

The grass is always greener with some of you guys. Who should we hire then if Herm was let go?
    oh lord ,,u r a a**hole.....to use the grammar thing when its the norm in tech chat room to just type away,,,u must be some anal dickhead at home,,,what a piehole.... [/b][/quote]
    Nice how you resort to cursing when you are challenged. Your intelligence shows. Those G.E.D. classes really paid off.

I said the grammar thing wasn&#39;t the point. But it is funny that you called another person a "moron" and then proceeded to type a post that had both grammar and spelling errors in it.

I for one would be more careful especially if I had the nerve to call someone else a "moron". But I guess we are just different.

Veteran
    ya, u seem very anal.........

Waterboy
    Herm does not understand THE basic idea of football.. run when they think you will pass (and occaisionaly when you just want to look tough), and pass when they think you will run. He is quoted today as going from starting the game at all run (so as not to let vin throw an interception), to telling can&#39;thackett to use alllll passes in the second half..that is not learning anything on the job..also neither of them seems to understand the seconc basic idea...take what the defensed gives...they always seem to be going AT the strength of the opposing defense..not away from it.

Maxman
    Originally posted by southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 01:43 PM
    ya, u seem very anal.........
    Alright man can we just be done with this? You don&#39;t know me. I don&#39;t know you. You don&#39;t care what I think. I don&#39;t care what you think.

Let&#39;s just move on and let the record show that I say Herm is without a doubt the right man for this job. I believe he will win the Superbowl as the Head Coach of the Jets someday.

You don&#39;t think he is smart enough.

Time will tell who is right.