Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Z BUST'n on Robertson

Banned
    New York Jets (0-2)
    Nobody's written in yet, but one more unproductive outing, and the writers will begin to hint that their top draft, DT DeWayne Robertson, might just be a, ssshhhh, bust. They had to lift him for Chester McGlockton Sunday. Robertson got a good push but had no ball awareness. Plus, he's a very nice young man, which accounts for the kindly treatment he has received from the writers. Not from the Dolphins, though.

TomShane
    Sports Illustrated is the worst piece of journalistic garbage ever put to paper

Except for a Steve Serby article, that is.

I cannot stand Peter King, Rick Reilly, or Dr. Z. whose football picks are laughable.

F SI.

All Pro
    Originally posted by borg@Sep 16 2003, 10:03 PM
    New York Jets (0-2)
    Nobody's written in yet, but one more unproductive outing, and the writers will begin to hint that their top draft, DT DeWayne Robertson, might just be a, ssshhhh, bust. They had to lift him for Chester McGlockton Sunday. Robertson got a good push but had no ball awareness. Plus, he's a very nice young man, which accounts for the kindly treatment he has received from the writers. Not from the Dolphins, though.
    Dr. Z's (What kind of name is that???) distain for the Jets and any of its players is nothing new. He's never printed anything positive about the Jets, why change now. In case Dr. Z hasn't noticed, no one on the Jets D has played well.

Is he telling you guys anything you didn't already know?

C'mon, every one of you has been suspecting he's a bust.

Dr Z is just the first in what will be a long line of scouts and reporters telling you that this guy is nothing more than this years media creation. The "build em' up..... so we can tear em' down" story of this year. I've been trying to tell you guys this since the draft. You guys were just too busy talking about the "Hall Of Fame", and creating pet names for him to listen.........

Veteran
    So, a defensive lineman is as good as he will ever be by week 2 as a pro?

Maybe...I don't know... But it feels to me premature to call him good OR bad right now.

I'd hate to release him and see him become a 5-time Pats pro-bowler or something.

....on the other hand, MJ's great pick Kwame Brown stunk it up and kept on stinking....

All League
    For all the bad stuff we've all seen from this FO, I think Robertson will be a good and may be great player.

Speaking of Dr. Z, they had a retrospective about the 1983 QB class-Marino, Elway, O'Brien, Kelly, Eason and Blackledge-on ESPN the other day. And one of the best parts was watching Zimmerman as part of ESPN's draft day 1983 coverage spout gloom and doom about Dan Marino's future on his draft day. Now, we all know why he was downgraded and bypassed, but it reminds you that often times the press isn't nearly as all-knowing as they'd like you to think.

Judging a guy after 2 games is ridiculous. And if Jets FO people are talking crap about Robertson, shame on them. Probably the same schmucks who told us Pennington"might neve rbe ready". At least Robertson's competing, which is more than you can say about most of this FO's picks. And for crissakes, learn something from what great things happened with Pennington when he FINALLY got his chance. If you show some confidence in young players, there's a chance that'll be returned in spades. And even if not, it beats the crap out of overpaying over-the-hill talent.

Veteran
    this is a joke.
    it's amazing how much of a bust the guy is and yet he's still double and triple teamed every freaking play.
    THAT'S ALL HE'S SUPPOSED TO DO THIS YEAR !!!!
    TAKE UP BLOCKERS AND FREE UP THE ENDS !!!!

two or three years from now we'll see the great stats.

All League
    Just a couple of thoughts on Robertson. He may be a good DT in this league, he may even become an all pro down the road. No one can tell after 2 games. HOWEVER, that isn't what makes him disappointing. The fact is that you have a right to expect more from the NUMBER ONE DEFENSIVE PICK IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT. Given what you paid for him in draft picks and cap room, you aren't getting your money's worth. Its just that plain and simple. If he were a 3rd round pick or even a later first rounder, none of this talk would be occuring.

And Chopps, the double teaming excuse is getting old. The fact is, if you were playing that position (the G-C gap), you'd be double teamed. Its more because of the alignment than the player. That's how the defense is designed. You didn't pay that price for him to just be a space eater. He was brought in to be a PLAYMAKER.... or at least at this point, show the potential to BE a play maker.

BTW - this isn't Robertson's fault - Blame Bradway - he's the one who made him the first defensive pick in the draft = he's the one to traded the picks. Robertson was just a true Junior with some great combine measurables and thus great potential.

All League
    Here we go again

Look, I think everyone agrees that D Robertson isn't exactly "bowling them over", but he's playing a real tough position and is only 21. You can hand the ball to RB and just tell him to run straight, or tell a speedy WR to run as fast as he can, but a DT is in for a tough time early on, as he's facing guards and centers that are similar to him in size and strength for the first time in his career......

I think he'll be OK. I recall the same exact things were said about Warren Sapp. Will he be as good as Sapp? Doubtfull, but time will tell and labeling him "bust" now is too early.

Want a real bust at DT, look at the Rams #1 pick....Coaches don't even want him near the field in a crucial point in a contest :blink:

Rookie
    How is Jonathan Sullivan doin?
    That's the one I wanted.

Robertson is almost a Bust.
    Put it that way

dc
    Young JEts Fan - what is our draft or FA picture lookin like next year for RBs

Rookie
    Originally posted by chops44@Sep 16 2003, 11:08 PM
    this is a joke.
    it's amazing how much of a bust the guy is and yet he's still double and triple teamed every freaking play.
    THAT'S ALL HE'S SUPPOSED TO DO THIS YEAR !!!!
    TAKE UP BLOCKERS AND FREE UP THE ENDS !!!!

two or three years from now we'll see the great stats.
    You got it enough said case closed.

All Pro
    You can't label him a bust at least he has been good enough to get on the field, unlike Thomas. He has to be considered a dissapointment to jet fans however. No jet fan thought he would not have tackles after preseason and two games into the season. I am somewhat disapointed that Warren did not grab the RDE positon from hamilton but he has been more productive than Robertson so far. and being in a 3-4 he is doubled also.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by FlyingElvis@Sep 16 2003, 11:41 PM
    Is he telling you guys anything you didn't already know?

C'mon, every one of you has been suspecting he's a bust.

Dr Z is just the first in what will be a long line of scouts and reporters telling you that this guy is nothing more than this years media creation. The "build em' up..... so we can tear em' down" story of this year. I've been trying to tell you guys this since the draft. You guys were just too busy talking about the "Hall Of Fame", and creating pet names for him to listen.........
    The kids plays 2 whole games in a pro football arena and he's a bust?

Coaches and team efforts win games not pencil jockeys one sided opinions. Do we need more work - absolutely - but let's not forfeit the rest of the season just yet, shall we? :blink:

Veteran
    I wonder if he said the same after Sapp's first two games ?

This is ridiculous, the guy has played 8 quarters of NFL football.
    Robertson is gonna be fine.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Limolady@Sep 17 2003, 09:16 AM

The kids plays 2 whole games in a pro football arena and he's a bust?

You're right Limo, no one can be considered a bust after just two games.

However, both the Pats 2nd (Eugene Wilson) and 4th (Asante Samuel) have played, contributed and have made some impact in the Pats first two games.

I think the Pats also paid quite a bit less for these two than you did for the Number 4 overall pick.

Rookie
    Originally posted by dcronin@Sep 16 2003, 11:54 PM
    How is Jonathan Sullivan doin?
    That's the one I wanted.

Robertson is almost a Bust.
    Put it that way

dc
    Young JEts Fan - what is our draft or FA picture lookin like next year for RBs
    Sullivan is out for weeks due to torn ACL I believe. I know he was injured last week

Veteran
    Its real easy after two games to be an "I told you so".

I'm convinced that that's what all this complaining is about. When the anti-Edwards crowd was complaining about him in the beginning of his first season as coach, I said I was willing to wait until the end of the year for the result. The result -- first round of playoffs.

Last year at the slow start, again, my defense of Edwards and the CS was that he took the Jets to the playoffs in Edwards first year, I'll wait for the end of the year for the result. The result -- AFCE Championship, second round of the playoffs.

No one should get a pass based on past performance, but can we at least wait to see how the season plays out before we call for heads to roll? Can we see how they deal with the slow, old-timers and the rookies?

You say Edwards and Bradway are screw ups? Maybe so, but just remember an experienced, HOF coach started this same team with no backup QB in 1999.

Rome wasn't built in a day. The Bucs weren't built in a day. Give these guys a chance to shed the dead wood, deal with the inherited salary cap bloat and build a team that will give us not one good year, but
    a few.

I'd rather have slow starts and good finishes with a dedicated staff than the Al Groh, start great, fizzle and quit.

Yeah, I know -- typical Jet fan.

Practice Squad
    I used to work out in a Gym where Dr. Z went. What an old fart!!! He doesn't know squat about football. He can take his picks and shove it!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Time for a little perspective:

Warren Sapp -- the man who defined the 3-technique we all want to see D-Rob master. Here's his stats from his first NFL season:

16 games (8 starts)
    18 solo tackles
    9 assists
    3 sacks

This is a ridiculous conversation. Learning the reads you have to make in the 3-technique -- and learning to take on NFL caliber o-linemen -- doesn't happen in 2 games. Anyone who thinks all this kid has to do is put his head down and bull rush doesn't know squat.

All Pro
    yawn, this is the 120th thread about the same exact subject.

Did Dr.Z watch the Redskins game? D-Rob played awfully well if you watch that game (I've watched in horror 3 times already :lol: )