Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: you want Bollinger to start???

Waterboy
    I figured I'd post this in it's own thread...

I am an avid Penn State fan and watch the Big 10 religiously. I don't know what in the world you guys are thinking but Bollinger is in no way, shape or form an NFL QB. He never will be. The guy comes from a college team that was predominately option left, option right. If you think our offense is ugly now, wait till opposing D's are stacking 8 guys in the box on every play with blitzes in this rookie's face. Curtis Martin will get killed along with LJ. Think what you will, but D's have to at least respect Vinny somehat.

If you guys think you have seen the ugliest, wait till Bollinger goes in. You haven't even seen the beginning of ugly.

Banned
    You know what is ugly..ugly is the stutter step that VT takes when he sees the blitz.....at least Bollinger can scramble....VT just throws the ball towards Chrebet.....remember the Pats INT/TD?

With Bollinger...he can scramble and he looked as good as C. Penn did in the preseason prior to him starting last year. Who knows...we can't let VT reach the incentives because that will bust our Cap situation.

Give the guy a start or two....

LL

All League
    yeah play Bollinger now :lol: :lol: :lol:

and please resign Suckway to a 15 year deal so we NEVER Lose him!! Pleeeeeease????

All League
    Why is it that Jets Rookies are NEVER ready to play, but other teams seem to slide them in with little problems?

Now, I understand where you're coming from Boozer, since you have based your opinion on watching Bollinger play in the Big-10 (I don't agree with you, but I understand). But it just seems that Herm is hesitant, even extremely reluctant, to give any rook any significant PT.

I mean, this is a guy that for some reason could not recognize the potential of Chad Pennington...or if he did recognize it, and still did not play him, he's a damn fool.

Doesn't anyone else wonder what's still sitting on our bench, "not ready to play"?

All League
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Sep 24 2003, 06:05 PM
    If you guys think you have seen the ugliest, wait till Bollinger goes in. You haven't even seen the beginning of ugly.
    Yeah, jeez...

It would be terrible to fall to the 29th ranked offense in the NFL (points) from the 28th spot....and who knows? We might end up 0-4.

Banned
    Originally posted by Greenwave81+Sep 24 2003, 06:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greenwave81 @ Sep 24 2003, 06:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Boozer76@Sep 24 2003, 06:05 PM
    If you guys think you have seen the ugliest, wait till Bollinger goes in. You haven&#39;t even seen the beginning of ugly.
    Yeah, jeez...

It would be terrible to fall to the 29th ranked offense in the NFL (points) from the 28th spot....and who knows? We might end up 0-4. [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

All League
    If Brooks play he may spark the team to a couple of wins until Chad comes back.

Hell Boller in Baltimore is 2-1 with the Ravens.

It may work or it may not but this team needs a spark and he may provide it.

If this team is struggling at the half against the Boys sunday I say put him in. The fans and team will get pumped and the D may feed off of it.

1-7 in Vinny&#39;s last 8 starts...there is no sugarcoating that. I know there is problems with this team other than Vinny, and I think he has played well, but we are not scoring points.

Question though...how bad is Jamie Martin? The team is thinking about putting in a rookie QB to right the ship till Chad comes back and not a 7-8 yr. vet? What was the point of signing him if he can&#39;t beat out a rookie? Should have just kept Blackwell if that&#39;s the case.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by Greenwave81@Sep 24 2003, 06:39 PM
    Why is it that Jets Rookies are NEVER ready to play, but other teams seem to slide them in with little problems?

Now, I understand where you&#39;re coming from Boozer, since you have based your opinion on watching Bollinger play in the Big-10 (I don&#39;t agree with you, but I understand). But it just seems that Herm is hesitant, even extremely reluctant, to give any rook any significant PT.

I mean, this is a guy that for some reason could not recognize the potential of Chad Pennington...or if he did recognize it, and still did not play him, he&#39;s a damn fool.

Doesn&#39;t anyone else wonder what&#39;s still sitting on our bench, "not ready to play"?
    It&#39;s not a matter of him being ready or not. He will never be ready for the NFL. How many option QB&#39;s have thrived in the NFL?? Rick Mirer?? Please. You say the guy can sramble, that&#39;s great because it will be all he will be doing if he is our QB. And as far as him looking good in the preseason, he was playing against truck drivers and stock boys. He should have looked good. But he will not look good against 1st team NFL players.

I agree that we should be starting some younger players, Hobson most notably vcomes to mind as well as L Jordan. But to throw Bollinger out there is to guarantee a loss every week.

And to respond to a statement made about not trusting Pennington for so long, if you recall there was a stigma about him even before the Bradway/Edwards era. I remember getting a feeling that even though the parcells era drafted Pennington, they really didn&#39;t know if he would be any good either. To thrust a 1st round highly talented QB into the fire is one thing, but to thrust a 6th round unqualified QB into the mix is a surefire recipe for disaster.

All Pro
    but to thrust a 6th round unqualified QB into the mix is a surefire recipe for disaster.

Do you mean like what the patsies* did with Tom Brady?

Waterboy
    Originally posted by pope@Sep 24 2003, 06:55 PM
    but to thrust a 6th round unqualified QB into the mix is a surefire recipe for disaster.

Do you mean like what the patsies* did with Tom Brady?
    First off, Tom Brady wasn&#39;t a rookie. Secondly, Michigan has a much more advanced offense than option left option right. Brady had a year to learn in the NFL as well as great college experience. Bollinger did not. That&#39;s a terribly poor comparison.

All League
    Originally posted by Chase@Sep 24 2003, 06:50 PM
    If Brooks play he may spark the team to a couple of wins until Chad comes back.

Hell Boller in Baltimore is 2-1 with the Ravens.

It may work or it may not but this team needs a spark and he may provide it.

If this team is struggling at the half against the Boys sunday I say put him in. The fans and team will get pumped and the D may feed off of it.

1-7 in Vinny&#39;s last 8 starts...there is no sugarcoating that. I know there is problems with this team other than Vinny, and I think he has played well, but we are not scoring points.

Question though...how bad is Jamie Martin? The team is thinking about putting in a rookie QB to right the ship till Chad comes back and not a 7-8 yr. vet? What was the point of signing him if he can&#39;t beat out a rookie? Should have just kept Blackwell if that&#39;s the case.
    This is exactly my point. Well stated.

Boller? Ready to play.

Bollinger? Nope..No freakin&#39; way.

And, anyway, it really doesn&#39;t matter...because if Vinny is not WINNING, there is no reason for him to be PLAYING since he won&#39;t be here much longer and it will cost us more money against next years cap when we might need every penny (no pun intended) to rid this team of cap-strangling dead weight.

Not to mention, Bollinger could use the work and GASP he might even lead us to the promised land...the 27th best offense in the NFL (points).

All League
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Sep 24 2003, 06:53 PM
    It&#39;s not a matter of him being ready or not. He will never be ready for the NFL. How many option QB&#39;s have thrived in the NFL?? Rick Mirer?? Please. You say the guy can sramble, that&#39;s great because it will be all he will be doing if he is our QB. And as far as him looking good in the preseason, he was playing against truck drivers and stock boys. He should have looked good. But he will not look good against 1st team NFL players.

I agree that we should be starting some younger players, Hobson most notably vcomes to mind as well as L Jordan. But to throw Bollinger out there is to guarantee a loss every week.

And to respond to a statement made about not trusting Pennington for so long, if you recall there was a stigma about him even before the Bradway/Edwards era. I remember getting a feeling that even though the parcells era drafted Pennington, they really didn&#39;t know if he would be any good either. To thrust a 1st round highly talented QB into the fire is one thing, but to thrust a 6th round unqualified QB into the mix is a surefire recipe for disaster.
    Fine, that&#39;s your opinion. Obviously, the Jets staff didn&#39;t share it, or I hope they wouldn&#39;t have drafted him. He did throw over 250+ passes his senior season at Wisconsin, so it&#39;s not like the guy never threw the ball.

Besides, being an "option" QB playing in a WCO is probably better than a pro-style offense QB playing in it. At least he can move around, hell...maybe even tuck the ball away and run with it to keep the D honest. And, in the option game, I bet the majority of his pass attempts were quick hitters and a lot of 3 step drops. Wisconsin must have thrown the ball some, since Chris Chambers played there, got drafted and is now a rising star.

Your point about playing against truck drivers and stock boys is valid...just remember that Bollinger was playing with those same truck drivers and stock boys on his side too.

All Pro
    a couple of things

Vinny will be here for at least two more years, which is more than you can say for the guys that you are concerned about re-signing

Why do you think the players are going to be pysched about vinny being replaced so that management wont have to pay him the money in his contract. I beleive it will have a detrimental effect, this time he is not being replaced by the former #1st rd draft choice but a rookie that could not hold onto the ball, (6 fumbles? in preseason.)

If this was week 8 I think the players would feel different, but at this point
    I dont think throwing in the towel would be recieved as positievely as some posters believe.

All Pro
    Nobody gives a &#036;hit what your opinion is pussman but thanks for playing.

All League
    I really havent followed the backup QB situation because I do not think Herm will go that route, but one thing I did catch was Bollinger saying he was NOT ready to play, hadnt grasped the O, etc..

Dont young players always say, "yea, I&#39;m ready to go, I want to prove I can play in this league" etc..

If the dude says he isnt ready, he&#39;s not..

All League
    Originally posted by patman@Sep 24 2003, 07:19 PM
    a couple of things

Vinny will be here for at least two more years, which is more than you can say for the guys that you are concerned about re-signing

Why do you think the players are going to be pysched about vinny being replaced so that management wont have to pay him the money in his contract. I beleive it will have a detrimental effect, this time he is not being replaced by the former #1st rd draft choice but a rookie that could not hold onto the ball, (6 fumbles? in preseason.)

If this was week 8 I think the players would feel different, but at this point
    I dont think throwing in the towel would be recieved as positievely as some posters believe.
    Vinny will be gone after this season, one way or another, IMO. He&#39;s flailing now, and so is the team. Yeah, he&#39;s throwing for yards and all, but we&#39;re still LOSING. Even Vinny can see the writing on the wall.

Next, I&#39;ve never been a fan of the "inmates running the asylum"...it&#39;s not up to the players to question personnel moves...hell, I know they&#39;re football players and all, but even the most dense among them who does not have post-concussion syndrome should at least be able to remember back to last season.

Everyone whined about Pennington replacing Vinny...there was reports of mutiny and players being disgruntled.

Well, how did that work out?

If Hermie can&#39;t change QBs without his team getting their panties in a wad over the move, we&#39;re sunk anyway.

Think this team would question Parcells if he made this decision?

Unlikely.

All League
    In the only statistic that matters there is only one place to go UP &#33;

I say heck why not &#33; In a worse case scenario we get blown out early so then we can flip off the tube and the team and get on about our lives.

Waterboy
    Excuse me Boozer, but Bollinger isn&#39;t an option QB any more than Jeff Garcia is. I too watch a lot of big ten football and all the passing was strictly drop back. Bollinger happened to be a mobile QB and was able to roll out and throw on the run with good accuracy or tuck it away and pick up yardage if he saw an opening. If that is your definition of an option QB then give me Mike Vick.

To be sure, Wisconsin is considered a run first offense, but after Dayne&#39;s departure Alvarez wanted better run/pass balance and as a result the distribution is much closer to 50/50 than most people realize.
    But perception is reality and the passing game was cursed by guys like
    Michael Bennett who followed Dayne and now Anthony Davis who, although he missed last week&#39;s game with a high ankle sprain, is probably close in yards gained to Michigan&#39;s Chris Perry after Blue was blown out by Oregon last week.

So, while Perry was being stuffed by the Ducks, Lee Evans, Wisconsin&#39;s playmaker WR, broke Al Toon&#39;s school receiving records. This after having to sit out the previous year with an ACL. Who was it pulling the trigger on all those balls to Evans and Chris Chambers before him?
    Bingo - Bollinger, the guy can throw and run.

Now, do I think Bolly is a starting QB in the NFL? No. Can he be a nice back-up for Chad? Probably. Can he avoid a blitz and get the ball downfield or run for a change of pace? Yes. And that&#39;s probably what the commotion is about. What he is not though is an option QB.

All Pro
    Yeah pope, and everyone is waiting with bated breath for your next pronoucement from the summit. Thanks for getting this thread back on track.

Greenwave, I dont disagree with the premise that coaches coach and players play. But I think the players will tell the difference between replacing Vinny last year, when he was playing real bad with the 1st rd pick who was the waiting in the wings. Vs. this year with Vinny not playing bad and replacing him with A guy that could not even hold onto the ball in preseason and is a rookie. Remember these guys have incentives in ther contract also. I think they will not say anything publicly about it, but your origanal post seemed to state that you believed it would be recieved positvely and that is what I took exception to.

I think Vinny should be gone after this season also, if he is replaced June 2nd next year he will count 3.5 on the 04 cap (no allowance for incentves reached this year) and 7mill in year 05

All Pro
    No pussman you&#39;re right everyone awaits your view from pastie* land here at a jets site :blink:. You&#39;d be better off taking your amazing football knowledge and finding out who&#39;ll back up Brady when his Bur-Sac blows up like a weather balloon.