Banned
    Bill Mueller ~ .327
    ===============
    Derek Jeter ~ .326
    ===============
    Manny Ramirez ~ .325

Can it get any closer than that?

So on the seasons last day the A.L. Batting Champ will be decided

Here's hoping muh-man DJ can pull it out!!

Banned
    It looks like things have broken right for Jeter to make a real run at this thing today

The Yankees will be facing Rookie LH Starter, Eric Dubose

Of course Jeter is a RH Hitter, so this may bode well

The Red Sox will be facing the more experienced Victor Zambrano

Zambrano's ERA is a bit higher than Dubose, but Zambrano has tossed way more innings and has pitched his best baseball since the All-Star break

Also, Zambrano is a RH Starter

Manny is a RH Hitter and Mueller is a SW Hitter ... so at least one of the two will not have the benifit of facing a pitcher who comes from the opposite side

Of course Manny can crush just about anyone, RH or LH ... so if anything this is merely a slight edge for Jeter, but a slight advantage beats a slight disadvantage

This should be interesting ... and for the diehards {on both sides}, it certainly adds a sense of drama to what would have been an entirely meaningless season finale

GO JETER!!

Banned
    Last year Ramirez won the AL batting title even though he missed about 6-7 weeks with an ill-advised headfirst slide that shattered his fingers.

This year, Jeter is likely to win the AL batting title even though he missed about 6-7 weeks with an ill-advised headfirst slide that shattered his shoulder.

The lesson: Taking a month and a half off is a good way to avoid prolonged slumps that kill the Batting Average. Oh, and I guess ill-advised headfirst slides are actually good things

Rookie
    The last time I remember a Yankee in the batting title race on the last day of the season was when I was 9 years old, and Mattingly beat out Winfield back in 1984. And where was I that day? At the Jets' new home, Giants Stadium, watching a loss to the damn New England Patriots.

Banned
    Bill Mueller was NOT inserted in the starting lineup today ... no doubt opting to sit on his lead and watch to see if DJ passes him with a hit or two ... at which point Grady Little would get him in that lineup so fast your head would spin

I'm a fair guy ... I call it as I see it ... so let me call this one as I see it

GUTLESS ..... ABSOLUTELY GUTLESS

You can take your bank account, your house, and all of your earthly possessions and make this bet ... if the situation were reversed, DJ would absolutely be in that starting lineup today ... he would not be sitting on his lead ... that is not in the nature of THIS PLAYER

We&#39;ve come a long way from Ted Williams {a mans man} opting to play on the seasons last day when .400 was already well in hand, huh? <_<

That Red Sox player had the heart of a lion ... this one has a heart the size of a mustard seed

GUTLESS ..... ABSOLUTELY GUTLESS

My track-record of non-homerism speaks for itself, so take this criticism any way you please

Oh yeah, and the word "SHAMELESS" comes to mind as well

Robbie Alomar did the samething a few years ago, he sat out the last 2 games of the season so he could stay over .330 or something and get a fat contract at the end of the year.....

Banned
    57, there are only so many throwbacks in today&#39;s game ... only so many Derek Jeter&#39;s, who approach this game in the spirit of a Ted Williams

Williams would have been in that lineup today ... you would have needed a machine-gun to get him out ... that applied to most of the old-timers as well

There are a handful of modern players who take that same approach ... Derek Jeter is absolutely one of them ... Bill Mueller clearly is NOT

PS. When Williams was approached by his manager, given the option of sitting that last one out {and maintaining his .400 BA}, Williams told his manager ... NOT A CHANCE ... If I&#39;m gonna win this thing, I am NOT gonna win it from the bench

NOW THAT was a man

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Liike to see DJ pull it out&#33;&#33;

Banned
    Hey Bill Mueller, you can remove your uniform now ... you will not need to scurry into that lineup like a rat ... Jeter went 0-2 in his first two AB&#39;s ... your precious Batting Title is safe

Way to win it, big fella ... somewhere Ted Williams is proud

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Sep 28 2003, 01:54 PM

Bill Mueller was NOT inserted in the starting lineup today

Total bush league.

That is so weak.

Mueller, lift up your skirt, open your legs and check what you got between there.

W-E-A-K-

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

DJ 0 fer 3 so far&#33;&#33;

All League
    typical red sox.

pathetic.

All League
    Some where in Arizona, Ted Williams is spinning in his can of frozen liquid nitrogen&#33;...or at least his head is.

Banned
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Sep 28 2003, 02:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Sep 28 2003, 02:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham@Sep 28 2003, 01:54 PM

Bill Mueller was NOT inserted in the starting lineup today

Total bush league. [/b][/quote]
    PFT, I can always count on you to tell it like it is

I know it&#39;s not easy for you to make that comment about YOUR GUY ... it is a credit to you that you can

And I really mean this ... I feel sorry for the diehard Red Sox fan who has been forced into the unenviable position of having to make a similar comment, or defending this bush league move ... it&#39;s a NO WIN for Red Sox fans ... you folks deserved better

Mueller & Little should have never placed you folks in that position

OBTW, after Jeter was pulled from the lineup in the Bronx, and the Batting Title was secure in Beantown, Mueller decided to pinch hit <_<

Some of these cats are just utterly shameless

And you know what ... this player has been so clutch for the Red Sox in 2003 ... he has played like a throwback all year ... this really came as a surprise too me

When I started this post last nite, Mueller opting to sit this one out was not even a consideration in my mind ... read the initial post and that is abundantly clear

This one really surprised me ... I Just didn&#39;t view Mueller as a man who would sit on his lead

All League
    ham, hes on the red sox....what do you expect.

s**t, the "best" pitcher in the league sits if he has a stuffy nose.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Sep 28 2003, 03:17 PM

PFT, I can always count on you to tell it like it is

I know it&#39;s not easy for you to make that comment about YOUR GUY ... it is a credit to you that you can

Ham- You know I will always call it like I see it.

This was a pathetic move and I&#39;m embarrassed to be a Sox fan today.

Wish Jeter would have went 3-4.

Banned
    PFT, baseball deserved better than this ... baseball fans deserved better

This could have been a thrilling day for all baseball ... three men battling it out for the batting title on the seasons last day

Manny sat this one out as well, with a .325 BA ... basically handing the title to his team-mate ... a far cry from Mattingly & Winfield battling it out till the last AB of the last day

All three of these cats should have suited up and let it rip ... had they done that, as they should have, BASEBALL would have been the big winner

What started out as a day packed with drama, died with a whimper before it even got started

Could have been a thrilling day ... but some folks had other ideas