Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conway benched

All League
    Fast Change, Moss in at WR
    2003-10-01 05:55:48

Changes were promised. And on Wednesday, New York Head coach Herman Edwards made a fast decision.

“I think the only change, really drastic change, is Santana (Moss) is the starting z receiver and Wayne (Chrebet) is the x,” Edwards said.

Moss, a third-year burner from Miami, takes the place of Curtis Conway. After four games, Conway, an 11-year veteran who signed with New York in March, is actually tied with Moss for most receptions on the team with 14. But Conway has dropped a number of balls, including a potential touchdown two weeks ago in New England.

“Curtis is fine,” Edwards said. “He understands. I told him, ‘Hey, you’re still going to play receiver in the tiger package, and we expect you to catch some balls and make some plays for us. He understands that.”

This is a big opportunity for Moss, a player the Jets selected #16 overall in the 2001 draft after trading their own first round pick as well as their fourth round (#111) and sixth round picks (#181) to Pittsburgh. He is averaging 16.9 yards per reception and scored one of the Jets' three touchdowns this fall, a 32-yard corral of a pretty Vinny Testaverde pass against the Dolphins. Moss had his best professional receiving game against Miami, totaling 142 yards on just five receptions.

“He has a chance to be the guy,” Edwards said of his 5-9, 181-pound weapon. “But he can’t do it by himself. Trust me. He can’t do it by himself. You’ve got to help him. It’s not a one-guy deal.”

With Moss’ insertion into the starting lineup, you would expect the Jets to attempt to throw more vertically. Edwards also said you will see receiver Jonathan Carter on the field.

“Give him (Moss) an opportunity to stretch the field,” Edwards said. “That’s what we are going to do. You’ll see some other scenarios where we have some other guys, too, that have some speed, and are in the game together.”

There will not be any other immediate changes in the starting lineup, but younger players will join the rotation.

“Everyone is still the same, but we are going to have a rotation system on offense and defense at certain positions, and that’s how we are going to attack it,” Edwards said.

The Jets are attacking their preparations for the Buffalo Bills and hopefully, their first win of 2003. When you lose, confidence dwindles.

“You’re 0-4 - you can’t stay status quo,” Edwards said. “You can’t say it’s okay because it’s not okay for anybody. No one feels good about it. This team doesn’t feel good about it. I don’t feel good about it.”

Defensively, the Jets will begin working in some of their younger linebackers and maybe introduce a few new defensive backs. Second-year tight end Chris Baker, a third-round selection from Michigan State in 2002, will spell veteran Anthony Becht at times.

“Victor Hobson will rotate,” Edwards said. “Who else? Jason Glenn will play some. Kenyatta Wright will play some. The tight end position will be alternated at times. I could see maybe some guys in the secondary switching in and out.”

But the first change in the lineup comes at receiver where Moss takes over for Conway. Edwards reiterated Wednesday that he will do anything to get his club jump-started.

“No stone will be unturned,” Edwards said.

Moss is averaging 16.9 yards per grab

On average, how many cups of coffee does each person in the USA drink each day?

Nyj42osag
    thats great im a moss fan and if you can pick 1 person on the jets now (NOT COLES) to give the ball it is moss he is a playmaker and can make a 5 yard catch into an eighty yard TD in a snap......SNAP!!!

Veteran
    Jonathan Carter might be getting some playing time as well with SM and WC.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Great but is VINNEY actually going to through the ball to him.....or is sideline santana just going to run 50 yard dash`s all day?

All Pro
    Way to go out on a limb Herm and shake things up :blink:

All League
    Originally posted by NYJ310@Oct 1 2003, 06:54 PM
    Jonathan Carter might be getting some playing time as well with SM and WC.
    Makes me kind of think they are going to try to throw the ball upfield with Moss and Carter on either side. That might be fun to watch.

Veteran
    Originally posted by joiseyjet@Oct 1 2003, 09:00 PM
    Great but is VINNEY actually going to through the ball to him.....or is sideline santana just going to run 50 yard dash`s all day?
    Chris, it's all up to Hackett.

wickedtwisted
    Well hmmmm we have all been talking about this! This is spectacular news! I kinda wish we werent in bye week cause now I'm def excited for the buffalo game.

Is this a home game or away game?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by joiseyjet@Oct 1 2003, 07:00 PM
    sideline santana....let me ask you one question, when the season was on teh line in oakland last year in the playoiffs who was the only receiver still on the field...you got it Santana Moss. The great La Turd and Chrebet were both hurt and on the sideline, not Santana

All Pro
    Exactly, Mean bro, the kid hasn't been hurt since his rookie year when he tore his knee up, is that really the kid's fault?

If he was "Sideline Santana" I don't think he would have been the one standing after the collision with Harrison.

Banned
    Originally posted by pope@Oct 1 2003, 08:01 PM
    Exactly, Mean bro, the kid hasn't been hurt since his rookie year when he tore his knee up, is that really the kid's fault?

If he was "Sideline Santana" I don't think he would have been the one standing after the collision with Harrison.
    I don't think many recievers in the league would still have keep running after such a brutal and harsh shot from one of the hardest hitting safetys in the league.

Santana has alot of talent. Great speed, he has amazing concentration, and very good hands.

His main weakness is obviously his hieght.

Great move Herm...now for Mo and Marvin please. And Vinny I don't want for him to get that bonus.

Veteran
    Great to hear this. I'd like to see Carter in the mix, too.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Saw this post on the NYT forum

----------------------------------------------------
    eljam - 07:53pm Oct 1, 2003 EST (# 3882 of 3905)
    Grayson, Notice any cracks in the sky yet?

"I'm still on the team," he said. "I've been in the league 11 years, and I've seen things happen like this so it's not like I'm shocked. I left some plays out there. When you're in situation like this you try to find things that we're lacking. They made a decision."

Possible interpretation: Yeah I got benched. Who gives a F, the pine pays just as much as the turf.

"Curtis is fine, he understands," Edwards said. "I told him, 'Hey, you're still going to play receiver, and we expect you to catch balls and make plays for us."'

See, this is the difference between Parcells (a coach who gets maximum effort) and Herm (a coach who gets to have dinner with the players)- Parcells lays it on the line. Either the players give him what he expects, or he gives them the a pink slip. Herm, on the other hand, is more concerned about whether anyone is pissed off at him.

Why the hell do you care if Conway if fine or not Herm? He needs to be concerned about what the F you think of him. Not the other way around.

Hall Of Fame
    All this come less than 24 hours after herm said, " I dont believe in benching players.."

What the hell is going on

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind+Oct 1 2003, 08:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JetsD-Mastermind @ Oct 1 2003, 08:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pope@Oct 1 2003, 08:01 PM
    Exactly, Mean bro, the kid hasn&#39;t been hurt since his rookie year when he tore his knee up, is that really the kid&#39;s fault?

If he was "Sideline Santana" I don&#39;t think he would have been the one standing after the collision with Harrison.
    I don&#39;t think many recievers in the league would still have keep running after such a brutal and harsh shot from one of the hardest hitting safetys in the league.

Santana has alot of talent. Great speed, he has amazing concentration, and very good hands.

His main weakness is obviously his hieght. [/b][/quote]
    the kid had his jaw broken at UM and got the ***** wired up and went back on the field the next week, sideline santana my ass

Rookie
    ALRIGHT&#33;&#33; Now Vinny can pass up a wide open Santana to throw it to a completely covered Chrebet&#33;

Just kidding, I love Santana being in there more.

Banned
    Nyj42osag

I know you only have 10 posts, but dropping those F bombs proabably will get you banned in the morning, so I would go edit them before someone of ADMIN gets wind of it.

Practice Squad
    i think that is a wack interpretation of what conway said. i didnt take it as he gets paid either way, to me it was he recognizes he isnt playing well and knows it has to happen. and i also like herm keepin it cool, you dont want hte team coming apart at a time like this. unity will get us through this. by herm sayin that it also shows me that they wont forget about him, conway is still a good player

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Fine MBG but santana was only there cause he was sitting on the bench most of the season last year also the whole seaon the year before while players like chrebet steped it up and got us into the playoffs and Ipromise to drop the sideline tag as soon as he gets passed 10 full reg. season games this year.... but for now he`s spent most of his reg.season time with the jets on the bench hurt ,thus he`s earned the title SIDELINE SANTANA