Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Bye Bye Monkey

Maxman
    Is it just me or does it seem like a huge burden was lifted off the Yankees once Soriano drove in the go ahead run for the Yankees?

They were playing tight. Lots of pressure of them. But that one hit seemed to make them much looser.

Obviously it is too soon to tell if it really matters or not but the early results are encouraging. Giambi followed it up with a huge hit and some insurance runs.

Plus Hawkins now has some doubt in his mind. That throwing error was brutal.

Mariano goes 1,2,3 in the 8th if he holds on for the 9th things are looking good again for the Yankees. The media will give them a little breathing room. Especially since Boston is down 0 - 2 themselves.

All League
    I'm just hoping beyond hope for a Marlins/Yankees series, that would be great!! I'm going to the Marlin/Giants game on Saturday, and I'd love to catch a WS game down here.

GO MARLINS!
    GO YANKEES!

Veteran
    Giambi is gonna drive me to rehab. Thankfully he actually got a hit with men on base.

All rumors or Mariano's demise are greatly exaggerated and stupid. How many bats did he break in the last two innings.

Series though is far from over. I still think we will be playing Monday night in the Bronx.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

<exhale> :ph34r:

Banned
    Originally posted by shawn306@Oct 2 2003, 11:31 PM
    Giambi is gonna drive me to rehab. Thankfully he actually got a hit with men on base.

All rumors or Mariano&#39;s demise are greatly exaggerated and stupid. How many bats did he break in the last two innings.

Series though is far from over. I still think we will be playing Monday night in the Bronx.
    Hey Giambi was 2-4 tonight. Perhaps he&#39;s coming around?

Maxman
    Originally posted by shawn306@Oct 2 2003, 11:31 PM

All rumors or Mariano&#39;s demise are greatly exaggerated and stupid. How many bats did he break in the last two innings.

I think the next game favors the Yankees the most. Clemens vs Lohse. Lohse doesn&#39;t strike people out (doesn&#39;t walk people either). But he can be taken deep and is very young.

Clemens will not be effected by the postseason, will Lohse be effected?

Torre always banks on that game 3 pitcher (especially when it is on the road) and he sets his rotation accordingly.

All that being said, winning 2 in a row in the Metrodome would be tough.

Maxman
    Originally posted by JetMedic@Oct 2 2003, 11:15 PM
    I&#39;m just hoping beyond hope for a Marlins/Yankees series, that would be great&#33;&#33; I&#39;m going to the Marlin/Giants game on Saturday, and I&#39;d love to catch a WS game down here.

GO MARLINS&#33;
    GO YANKEES&#33;
    Hell as a Yankee fan I wouldn&#39;t mind a Yankee Marlin World Series either. Tickets would be easy to get down in Florida that is for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If Giambi starts swinging a hot bat.........he can carry the load himself&#33;&#33;

Sori is playing well....but through his first 3 AB&#39;s....he sees 4 pitches??

Patience young man...patience&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 2 2003, 11:41 PM
    If Giambi starts swinging a hot bat.........he can carry the load himself&#33;&#33;

There is no way 5 years from now that Soriano can be a leadoff hitter. He is a hacker. He should be batting 4th or 5th. He is not even disciplined enough for the #3 spot.

Regardless though that was a huge hit that he got tonight. I hope he can relax as a result (at bat and in the field).

Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 2 2003, 11:41 PM

Soriano has never shown patience in his life...Not going to start now and prolly won&#39;t this playoffs either

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sori will be our centerfielder for the next 10 years&#33;&#33;

I just can&#39;t take another game from Juan Rivera.....he just KILLS me&#33;&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 2 2003, 11:46 PM
    Sori will be our centerfielder for the next 10 years&#33;&#33;

I just can&#39;t take another game from Juan Rivera.....he just KILLS me&#33;&#33;&#33;
    I actually thought they would make that move after last offseason. He had a terrible time at 2nd and Bernie&#39;s arm killed us in CF vs the Angels.

But I think a move like this will happen eventually.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I truly hope Rivera finds his way to the bench...and even the inactive list soon.

Give Sierra or Garcia the nod.......Rivera is a double play waiting to happen&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 3 2003, 12:07 AM
    I truly hope Rivera finds his way to the bench...and even the inactive list soon.

Give Sierra or Garcia the nod.......Rivera is a double play waiting to happen&#33;&#33;
    Sierra can not see RF in this series.

An outfield of Matsui - Williams - Sierra simply can not happen. The will go from first to home on singles. Sierra has great career numbers against Radke and he didn&#39;t play. This kind of tells you that he is not going to get much playing time. He might DH if Johnson doesn&#39;t hit or gets hurt.

So RF will either be Garcia or Rivera. Rivera got the nod early because he was real hot down the stretch. He hit 4 homers in the final week.

Hey don&#39;t forget that Rivera executed a nice sacrifice bunt in the 7th. Doesn&#39;t sound like much but the fundamentals have been a sore point for the Yankees all year.

Banned
    Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 2 2003, 11:38 PM
    I think the next game favors the Yankees the most. Clemens vs Lohse. Lohse doesn&#39;t strike people out (doesn&#39;t walk people either). But he can be taken deep and is very young.

Torre always banks on that game 3 pitcher (especially when it is on the road) and he sets his rotation accordingly.

Max, I think Joe Torre chose Rocket to pitch Game 3 for another reason as well

Definitely because JT puts a lot of stock in Game 3 ... always has ... and I&#39;m sure he has tremendous confidence in Roger ... you are dead on the money here

But also because Roger is a "STRIKEOUT/FLY BALL" Pitcher ... and that is always the preference on the carpet

If you can avoid a Ground Ball Pitcher in the dome {and on the carpet}, that is always a plus ... cause so many Ground Balls that are OUTS on Grass, scoot through for BASE HITS on the Astroturf

I think this may have had something to do with the decision to start Clemens in the dome as well ... how bout you?

Rookie
    I think there&#39;s a better chance of Soriano going to RF. Look at this way, if Alf goes to CF, where does Bernie go? RF? He doesnt have the arm for it. LF, and move Matsui to RF? People go from 1st to 3rd on Matsui when he is in left, never mind if he was in RF. DH is blocked by Giambi&#39;s knee or Nick Johnson. You can&#39;t deal Bernie (contract) or Hideki (Japanese market) either. This is going to be a problem in years to come. But as for this year, this team can still get it done.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 3 2003, 12:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 3 2003, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Oct 2 2003, 11:38 PM

Definitely because JT puts a lot of stock in Game 3 ... always has ... and I&#39;m sure he has tremendous confidence in Roger ... you are dead on the money here

But also because Roger is a "STRIKEOUT/FLY BALL" Pitcher ... and that is always the preference on the carpet

If you can avoid a Ground Ball Pitcher in the dome {and on the carpet}, that is always a plus ... cause so many Ground Balls that are OUTS on Grass, scoot through for BASE HITS on the Astroturf

I think this may have had something to do with the decision to start Clemens in the dome as well ... how bout you? [/b][/quote]
    I am not sure. Our infielders can&#39;t stop grounders on grass so on turf I think the effect will be minimal. LOL. Instead of a throwing error now they will be a second late and they will make a fielding error.

Really though having a guy that gets flyball outs is no treat in the Metrodome. That roof is pretty insane. Especially during the day (Sat is a 1pm start).

All Pro
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 3 2003, 12:07 AM

He is by far the better defensive player of the 3 of them. He aslo had a solid series in left last year against the Angels in the ALDS. The pressure won&#39;t bother him.

If the main guys (Soriano, Jeter, Giambi and Williams do their thing, Rivera is a defensive piece to the puzzle, not a main part.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 3 2003, 12:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 3 2003, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Oct 2 2003, 11:38 PM

I think this may have had something to do with the decision to start Clemens in the dome as well ... how bout you? [/b][/quote]
    Torre always considers Game 3 in a playoff series to be the key game, especially if the series is 1-1. I believe that his choice was either Clemens or Mussina. The fact that Mussina had a super year probaly made him decide that he should pitch 2 games in the series. Pettite was pitching at the Stadium, come what may. That left Wells for Game 4, so Clemens slotted into Game 3.

The flyball/strikeout vs, grounders thing also probably came into play. But flyballs in the dome are no picnic either. :blink:

Maxman
    It is good though to wake up and know the Yankees are 1 and 1. As an added bonus the Sox ar 0 and 2.