Thread: Poor coaching to blame

Veteran
    How the hell did Parcells get Testeverde to play the way he did in '98?! Yes, he had Keyshawn, but his other two targets, Chrebet and Ward were both well shy of 6'. Testeverde had a career year with those three. So far, Vinny hasn't been the problem. I think Chad would be 1-3 if he were behind center the past four weeks. There's no running game and the play calling has been suspect. The players look flat. Mental errors are stalling drives and scoring opportunities. The departure of key free agents stung this team in the ass and the front office is to blame. The team has gotten older and slower. I'll give Herm and co. that the Jets have managed to keep the games somewhat close, but they just keep falling short. Why hasn't Doug Marone taken any criticism over the lack of a running attack? What the f*ck has Ruben Carter done with four first round draft picks?! Can Paul Hackett retool the offense around Testeverde and the deep pass? It would take an act of God to turn the season around. This team had the look of a contender with a few offseason acquisitions. Unfortunately, that plan went out the window. How did the front office manage to let that many KEY players go in one off season is beyond conventional wisdom. The owner doesn't seem pleased with the result with either the coach or the GM. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

There's lots of blame to go around, but I give credit to the CS for 3.5 close games. I see old players with questionable talent. The GM on the other hand...TB done a fairly good job of whittling the cap, but how about drafting someone we could use?

All Pro
    Originally posted by JumbalayaJet@Oct 4 2003, 11:50 PM
    but how about drafting someone we could use?
    Couldn't that question also been posed as "How about using someone we draft?"

Good Teams figure out a way to loose close games...Bad teams figure out how to loose close games...

Which one are we?

At 0-4 I think we know.

Banned
    Originally posted by JETSET47@Oct 4 2003, 11:33 PM
    How the hell did Parcells get Testeverde to play the way he did in '98?! Yes, he had Keyshawn, but his other two targets, Chrebet and Ward were both well shy of 6'. Testeverde had a career year with those three. So far, Vinny hasn't been the problem. I think Chad would be 1-3 if he were behind center the past four weeks. There's no running game and the play calling has been suspect. The players look flat. Mental errors are stalling drives and scoring opportunities. The departure of key free agents stung this team in the ass and the front office is to blame. The team has gotten older and slower. I'll give Herm and co. that the Jets have managed to keep the games somewhat close, but they just keep falling short. Why hasn't Doug Marone taken any criticism over the lack of a running attack? What the f*ck has Ruben Carter done with four first round draft picks?! Can Paul Hackett retool the offense around Testeverde and the deep pass? It would take an act of God to turn the season around. This team had the look of a contender with a few offseason acquisitions. Unfortunately, that plan went out the window. How did the front office manage to let that many KEY players go in one off season is beyond conventional wisdom. The owner doesn't seem pleased with the result with either the coach or the GM. :<!--emo&Angry:--><!--endemo-->
    I think Tuna told Vinny:

"Hey moron, do not, under any circumstances, EVER, throw the ball on the run!!!"

And Vinny threw 29 TDs and about 7 INTs that year then commenced to go back to his old ways and we've been playing 4th qtr. catch up ever since

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

yep..... coaching has been terrible..... i like herm but he was never really qualified for this job...... we need a coach thats atleast been a coordinator before.... hern was an x player thats been nothing more than a defrensive backs coach that can motivate... well motivation only gets u so far.... he has trouble managing the game........ and our other coaches dont help....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Tampa Bay was a laughingstock in The NFL and Tony Dungy and his staff turned around their entire organization and made them a contender. Gruden made them a champion last year.

Herm gets some credit for Tampa's turnaround. Dungy and the tampa players have gone on record many times talking about what influence and impact Herman Edwards had on changing the attitude of that franchise and helping those players play well. Herman Edwards was not a coordinator there but he was the assistant head coach and not in name only. It wasn't just some cute tag. He had alot of authority there.

Herman Edwards is more of a leader, than a X's and O's guy but he isn't as bad in that area as you people think. He's been a labeled as just a speech maker/motivator. He's more than just that. We are talking about a guy who lives and breathes football. He's been a football player and coach for a long time. He knows the game. As a smart DB, You know offenses and their tendencies. He has spent his entire career studying offenses and preparing defenses. I'd say that qualifies him. Just because a coach has an area of expertise in one area, doesn't mean that he is oblivious when it comes to other areas of football. If you are a great OL coach, You need to have a strong knowledge and understanding of what defenses do. If you don't have defenses figured out, How can you be a good O-Line coach.

There have been tons of examples of successful head coaches that were not coordinators. Look it up.

This team is 0-4 not simply because of coaching. They are just not as talented as the teams that they have played and they are not as good as they were last year.