Thread: Clevelands LBs and our speed!!

All Pro
    I donít know if you guys watched the Browns game last night but Patrick made an interesting comment. He said the Browns let go all 3 starting Lbs b/c they were older and slower. They are now starting 3 unknowns. These unknowns have a lot of speed, which is what that D calls for. SPeed is also needed in the cover2/Tampa scheme that we are running. Guys like Quarles and Duncan are not necessarily stars but they are fast!! Yes I know they have Brooks but the Colts are doing it with unknown LBs as well. The bottom line is this D needs speed at LB. We have slow LBs and I think we all agree that this is the main reason that 3 yard gains turn to 8 yard gains.

So what Iím saying is this move to Hobson, Glenn and Wright could not come at a better time. Yes I know Cleveland got torched 2 weeks ago and yes, if we play these guys they will make mistakes. But lets take the lumps now. This is a move that must be made!! We need speed at LB b/c that, more than anything else is killing us.

Banned
    Originally posted by LesterLyles@Oct 6 2003, 11:35 AM
    I donít know if you guys watched the Browns game last night but Patrick made an interesting comment. He said the Browns let go all 3 starting Lbs b/c they were older and slower. They are now starting 3 unknowns. These unknowns have a lot of speed, which is what that D calls for. SPeed is also needed in the cover2/Tampa scheme that we are running. Guys like Quarles and Duncan are not necessarily stars but they are fast!! Yes I know they have Brooks but the Colts are doing it with unknown LBs as well. The bottom line is this D needs speed at LB. We have slow LBs and I think we all agree that this is the main reason that 3 yard gains turn to 8 yard gains.

So what Iím saying is this move to Hobson, Glenn and Wright could not come at a better time. Yes I know Cleveland got torched 2 weeks ago and yes, if we play these guys they will make mistakes. But lets take the lumps now. This is a move that must be made!! We need speed at LB b/c that, more than anything else is killing us.
    Dwayne Rudd is much faster than any linebacker they have now, but they released all 3 more because of they were 26 mill over the salary cap. Don't let the Media and Butch Davis fool you.

A big part in why their defense has been playing extremely well is because of the Defensive Cooridinator Dave Campo.

All Pro
    Lester, you make a move like that if you think they are your future, Glenn may leave after this year, unless the jets tag him at over 1.3 mill. he was a UDFA so a team that signs him will not have to compensate the jets. (although the jets can match the contract)

The only thing a swithching over to Glenn and whoever does now is give your Future BU some experience. But even that will be a more productive use than watch Jones and Lewis play out the string.

All Pro
    Lester, you make a move like that if you think they are your future, Glenn may leave after this year, unless the jets tag him at over 1.3 mill. he was a UDFA so a team that signs him will not have to compensate the jets. (although the jets can match the contract)

The only thing a swithching over to Glenn and whoever does now is give your Future BU some experience. But even that will be a more productive use than watch Jones and Lewis play out the string.

JetsD, you got that right, Rudd is a very athletic player that was let go because of the cap. One that I wish the pats could have found $ for. Anyone that listens to an announcer but Jaws should have their ears checked.

All Pro
    Those Lbs were highly priced but if they could play, they'd still be there. Those guys were slow. Rudd is getting up there in age. he i, after all, older than Cowart and the same age as our own SSam garnes.

I don't think the Jets should tender Glenn any more than a 3rd. Most likely I would think a 5th rounder is more like it. I'm not worried of anyone giving Jason Glenn an unmatachable offer. I think he has a chance being a starter. kenyatta Wright, most likely not. But get thee guys time so at the very least, we have experienced reserves that can go in. I also the speed/quickness, even if they are not our ultimate starters, will really help.

Banned
    Originally posted by LesterLyles@Oct 6 2003, 03:57 PM
    Those Lbs were highly priced but if they could play, they'd still be there. Those guys were slow. Rudd is getting up there in age. he i, after all, older than Cowart and the same age as our own SSam garnes.

I don't think the Jets should tender Glenn any more than a 3rd. Most likely I would think a 5th rounder is more like it. I'm not worried of anyone giving Jason Glenn an unmatachable offer. I think he has a chance being a starter. kenyatta Wright, most likely not. But get thee guys time so at the very least, we have experienced reserves that can go in. I also the speed/quickness, even if they are not our ultimate starters, will really help.
    What are you talking about, Rudd is one of the fastest linebackers in the league. If the Browns had cap room Rudd would still be there. Rudd was their best linebacker the past few years.