Thread: Eagles blitzing is BS

Rookie
    All this crap about the famous Eagles rush is BS in my opinion. Look at the stats, they've only had 10 sacks all season. Whereas we've had 21. Who should be scared of whom? Bring em on baby. 3-4 here we come.

Bitter
    A pass rush isn't all about sacks. It's about hurrying the QB into making really bad throws. Whether they do that or not I can't say I only watched them play once this year.

Rookie
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Oct 24 2003, 02:13 PM
    A pass rush isn't all about sacks. It's about hurrying the QB into making really bad throws. Whether they do that or not I can't say I only watched them play once this year.
    Husker,

If that's your argument then as far as I'm concerned Vinny would be at greater risk than Chad. Vinny can't look of any CBs. He locks onto his first receiver and stays with him no matter what. And even if he hits him short, it is never in stride. With Chad, he can be at his second or third option before Vinny is finished with his first option, and he can hit Moss or Conway or Chrebet in stride. With 8 in the box that leaves them wide open for YAC.

Bitter
    That's not my argument it's just a fact. You don't have to put 8 men in the box to blitz someone. It doesn't matter what QB is in there. If you have a linebacker in your face, you are going to have to throw the ball alot sooner than you originally had planned. That can lead to incomplete passes and interceptions.

Rookie
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Oct 24 2003, 02:20 PM
    That's not my argument it's just a fact. You don't have to put 8 men in the box to blitz someone. It doesn't matter what QB is in there. If you have a linebacker in your face, you are going to have to throw the ball alot sooner than you originally had planned. That can lead to incomplete passes and interceptions.
    Exactly, and between Vinny and Chad who do you think will make the better decision? My vote is for Chad.

Bitter
    Originally posted by DoubleO@Oct 24 2003, 01:22 PM
    Exactly, and between Vinny and Chad who do you think will make the better decision? My vote is for Chad.
    Oh sure Chad will make better decisions than Vinny. But even Joe Montana wasn't immune to making bad throws when under pressure.

Veteran
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Oct 24 2003, 02:20 PM
    Hell your stupid if ya throw the pass,just TUCK the ball and your safe.

Rookie
    Originally posted by huskeralk+Oct 24 2003, 02:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (huskeralk @ Oct 24 2003, 02:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DoubleO@Oct 24 2003, 01:22 PM
    Oh sure Chad will make better decisions than Vinny. But even Joe Montana wasn&#39;t immune to making bad throws when under pressure. [/b][/quote]
    Husker,

I&#39;m not proclaiming Chad the next Montana. Sure would be nice, but he&#39;ll have to play a few more seasons for me to think about the comparison. All I&#39;m saying is that I&#39;m glad he is back because no matter which way you look at it: Mobility, Accuracy, Reads, Catchable ball, Play Action, etc., he is still better than Vinny.

Rookie
    Originally posted by D-BYRD+Oct 24 2003, 02:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (D-BYRD @ Oct 24 2003, 02:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk@Oct 24 2003, 02:20 PM
    That&#39;s not my argument it&#39;s just a fact. You don&#39;t have to put 8 men in the box to blitz someone. It doesn&#39;t matter what QB is in there. If you have a linebacker in your face, you are going to have to throw the ball alot sooner than you originally had planned. That can lead to incomplete passes and interceptions.
    Hell your stupid if ya throw the pass,just TUCK the ball and your safe.
    [/b][/quote]
    D-Byrd,

how about throwing it out of bounds rather than taking the sack. You only get to tuck it if you play for the Patsies.

Practice Squad
    I am also tired of all this talk. In watching the Eagles I have not seen them really putting pressure on anyone. What they do is go lights out against the run. They are extremely physical. I wonder how much of their blitzing is run related. I would have expected the to be better than 6th in the league against the run. Anyway, that&#39;s what I&#39;m worried about. I don&#39;t really see them getting consistent pressure against us until after they have blasted us out of running the ball. That&#39;s the key.

They should be worried about our attack. If we get a lead they are in deep trouble. Not only are we tops in sacks per attempt but their interioir o-line is absolutely horrible. There is no way they will be able to pass without max protection.

All in all, it&#39;s the Eagles who should be worried about our D-line, and not the other way around. It&#39;s there run stuffing LBs that may give us trouble, but not in the passing game.

It&#39;s not going to come to tough decisions as long as we run decently. That is the challenge in this game. We have had trouble with physical defenses for years, Pittsburgh and Oakland come mind. I&#39;m afraid of the 0-line being man–handled on run plays.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by huskeralk@Oct 24 2003, 02:13 PM
    A pass rush isn&#39;t all about sacks. It&#39;s about hurrying the QB into making really bad throws. Whether they do that or not I can&#39;t say I only watched them play once this year.
    This is exactly why Vinny should not play. Against NE, they rarely (if ever) got to him, bu ol&#39; Vinny would panic each and every third down as soon as he read blitz.

Hall Of Fame
    How did Chad handle the blitz when Oak-town brought it to him last season? If I remember correctly, he had been playing for three months straight and had better WRs in that game, yet still looked like frightened turtle.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jets5ever@Oct 24 2003, 03:55 PM
    How did Chad handle the blitz when Oak-town brought it to him last season? If I remember correctly, he had been playing for three months straight and had better WRs in that game, yet still looked like frightened turtle.
    He had better receivers for half the game (coincidentally they were in the game at that time). Then Chrebet and Moss were hurt early in the third quarter and he had Mr. "watch the ball sail over your head for an int" Coles and Mr. "I can&#39;t make an impact even when there is nobody left" Swayne to throw to.

I think Pennington has a better chance to learn from that experience, where Vinny is clearly scared to get hit at is advanced years.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Piper+Oct 24 2003, 03:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Piper @ Oct 24 2003, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever@Oct 24 2003, 03:55 PM
    He had better receivers for half the game (coincidentally they were in the game at that time). Then Chrebet and Moss were hurt early in the third quarter and he had Mr. "watch the ball sail over your head for an int" Coles and Mr. "I can&#39;t make an impact even when there is nobody left" Swayne to throw to.

I think Pennington has a better chance to learn from that experience, where Vinny is clearly scared to get hit at is advanced years. [/b][/quote]
    Oh, so when Vinny throws INT it&#39;s because he&#39;s scared, but when Chad does it&#39;s because Coles is flawed. Got it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jets5ever@Oct 24 2003, 04:05 PM
    Oh, so when Vinny throws INT it&#39;s because he&#39;s scared, but when Chad does it&#39;s because Coles is flawed. Got it.
    Nice spin. Try reading, it&#39;s fundamental.

I was responding directly to your assertion that Pennington had better receivers to work with. You are right, for 1 half. If you compare the receivers Vinny had in the NE game to what Pennington had in the second half of the Raiders, your statement falls on it;s face.

My point is at least there is a chance Pennington learns to deal with pressure, where Vinny has shown clearly, as recently as this season that he folds in the face of pressure.

Unless you are prepared to tell me that Vinny has done well under pressure.

All Pro
    Chad AND Vinny will shred their aggressive attack, I&#39;m not worried. The Iggles should be more worried about Donovan and his performance