Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have Chad and Abe's price tag gone down??

All Pro
    Between Penny's injury and inevitable rust and Johnny abe's DWI and inability to saty healthy, have their price tags gone down?? I thought both would command near top 5-7 salaries in the league. How does Bradway approach that now?? I still think Penny will get big time $$s, probably still top 5-7, but what if he had had another magical year. He still may but we'll see. What about Abe? B/w Ellis's emergence and Abe's antics, the situation is very fuzzy.

All Pro
    I dont think Chad's injury will affect his price any. However Abe'sinjury history will certainly affect his, either to the jets or what they recieve in compenstion if they trade him. If your paying someone 5-6mill a year you want him on the field.

All Pro
    I think I read somewhere (probably Jets Confidential or somewhere like it) that since his abdominal injury in 2000 (was it 2000?), John Abraham's been on the field for 80% of the Jets defensive plays.

I don't know if that's accurate though. I'd like to think they checked their facts before printing it.

All Pro
    Nope Pennington is a franchise QB (he looked good Sunday considering the time off, that pick was very VT like, uuuuuugh
    and there are plenty of owners who'd be more than happy to have John Abe.

Each will be very, very rich.

I wonder if all the J.Abe to LB people still want him playing LB. I got to finally watch the game on tape and Abe is a freakin stud DE. I cannot believe some of you guys, now Bryan Thomas on the other hand must be switched to LB or released because Chester the molester working at DE when Abe is out is a freaking joke, what does that say about this kid :blink:

All Pro
    As long as we play the 4-3, he is a DE. I think his ideal position is a 3-4 backer who goes after the QB, switches sides etc etc.

All Pro
    Yeah, whats the Chester at DE thing all about?

Supposedly the rationale is that they want more 'beef' against the run. What DOES that say about the coaching staffs confidence in Bryan Thomas, who some people here advocating start at DE since Johnny Abe (who would then move to LB) isn't beefy enough.

I still think John Abraham would not be a good fit at LB unless the team went back to a 3-4 defense. But then other pieces of the team dont fit well. And the argument goes round and round...

All League
    hmmm.... you know Johhny Abe wouldn't lok bad as ROLB to Colvins LOLB in the Pats 3-4.... hmmmm

Veteran
    Chad will get franchise money and J Abe's contract will mimic whatever Kearse gets.... Kearse has had the same impact and probably the same amount of injury time as well... to me the question is what happens with Ellis

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It's too early to make that type of determination on Chad Pennington.

John Abraham will still command big time money but he's hurt his stock a little bit within The Jets organization. The injuries, The DUI and the poor play against the run is hurting him.

All of a sudden, the rumored trade of John Abraham for Terrell Owens....doesn't sound too bad.

All Pro
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Oct 28 2003, 05:59 PM
    It's too early to make that type of determination on Chad Pennington.

John Abraham will still command big time money but he's hurt his stock a little bit within The Jets organization. The injuries, The DUI and the poor play against the run is hurting him.

All of a sudden, the rumored trade of John Abraham for Terrell Owens....doesn't sound too bad.
    If the Jtes are craeative, they can afford all 3 most likely. Many contracts have such low cap figures early on and escalete as the contract gets into the later years. The bulk of the cap hit can come when Vinny, Curtis et al are all off the books. THe question is which of these guys will be signed.

Ok, Chad is a no-brainer. I was merely asking if the total $$ amount would be impcacted in any way by the injury. Most of you guys say no. If struggles though (I don't think he will but you never know), I'm sure it would have to come into the discussion.

The ends are a different story. even if the Jets/Tannenbaum can work it out, does it make sense to have that much money tied up on the D-line?? I tell ya, this is a tough decision.

Banned
    Abraham - Bruschi - [first round draft pick] - Colvin
    ----- Seymour ---- Washington ---- Warren -----

It could work...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Jared@Oct 28 2003, 06:24 PM
    Abraham - Bruschi - [first round draft pick] - Colvin
    ----- Seymour ---- Washington ---- Warren -----

It could work...

Scary scenario.

Pats would have to outbid for Abe's services which I don't think Kraft would do.

Would be nice to toss the Jets some draft picks but no way Jets let Abe go to a divisional rival.

This delemma is a direct result of TB's inaffective drats. We have no young impact players to off-set the loss of our limited number of playmakers. If we had some young speed on the defense that could be viewed as true quality starters, our ability to trade J. Abe. would be a lot more conceivable.

However, because we need as much speed as we can get on the field, it is a must to keep him; atleast teams have to account for someone on our team.

TB must be fired and Herm must bring in a coordinator or two to teach and develop our young talent and scheme aggressively enabling us to create havoc and establish an identity. Then we need someone who knows how to evaluate college talent correctly and draft playmakers.
    TB your time is up!!! Bye-Bye.

i agree, Abe can only play LB if hes in a Terrell Suggs-like situation

All League
    Originally posted by LesterLyles@Oct 28 2003, 04:21 PM
    Between Penny's injury and inevitable rust and Johnny abe's DWI and inability to saty healthy, have their price tags gone down?? I thought both would command near top 5-7 salaries in the league. How does Bradway approach that now?? I still think Penny will get big time $$s, probably still top 5-7, but what if he had had another magical year. He still may but we'll see. What about Abe? B/w Ellis's emergence and Abe's antics, the situation is very fuzzy.
    I sure hope TB isn't thinking this way and try to play hardball. If these guys hit the market sombody will spend the big bucks.

All Pro
    Ellis--they should wait till next year to re-sign midyear

abraham-should have been resigned this year before last game. He only had 2.5 sacks and a DUI, it was the lowest we could have got him in a contract.

pennington--I believe will be resigned at the ned of this year, hopefully he plays everygame and if hes as good as we think he is, hell get signed to big time bux.

mckensie-dont you people realize hes restricted after this year, which means we have might not be able to re-sign him, I think what happens with him will impact this team the most.

why do we always wait to resign players in their prime, why do we have to wait for contract years which also seems to be players best years??????

im still confident we are resigning all four players!

All Pro
    Ike, why would Ellis forgo FA with only games to go? are you going to make him a market setting offer? If you want to get your player signed more resonably you sign himas soon as possible, this way at least he gets security in return the jets get a "discount" on his services.

Not knowing what kind of person he is, he may be upset if the jets chose to sign everyone longterm before him.

All Pro
    Absolutely. The front office needs to decide what they're going to do with Abe and Ellis THIS offseason, and then work out extensions THIS offseason. Extend them both, or extend one and let the other play out their contract.

If you let either of them go into the last year of their contract, you risk losing them or overpaying them, neither of which is an attractive option.

All Pro
    I think both are happy in NY and both are happy playing together. In defense of Bradwway, he did see ahead perhaps and that is why he drafted Bryan Thomas. I think its unfair to judge the kid b/c he plays like very few plays and is essentially playing behind 2 Pro Bowlers at this point. W/ Abe probably out for a couple of weeks, its Thomas' opportunity to show what he has.

All Pro
    Originally posted by LesterLyles@Oct 28 2003, 11:54 PM
    I think both are happy in NY and both are happy playing together. In defense of Bradwway, he did see ahead perhaps and that is why he drafted Bryan Thomas. I think its unfair to judge the kid b/c he plays like very few plays and is essentially playing behind 2 Pro Bowlers at this point. W/ Abe probably out for a couple of weeks, its Thomas' opportunity to show what he has.
    Abe may only miss 1 week, so this is the week Thomas has to make some impact. He doesn't need 3 sacks. Some pressure, cut down someone for a loss, and be active against the run and sweeps to his side will be enough.