Thread: What a mess?

All League
    People familiar with the Jets' early road map for recovery believe that as many as 15 players currently on the roster will be gone after the season. That number could include as many as five current starters.

The salary-cap ramifications over the next two seasons will be immense.

"What a mess," said a person who has studied the Jets' contractual obligations. "This team is really in cap hell the next two years."

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by rmeyer52@Oct 29 2003, 08:33 AM
    People familiar with the Jets' early road map for recovery believe that as many as 15 players currently on the roster will be gone after the season. That number could include as many as five current starters.

"What a mess," said a person who has studied the Jets' contractual obligations. "This team is really in cap hell the next two years."
    people familiar with??
    person who has studied??

can you be a little more precise in your comments??

please explain the "RAMIFICATIONS????

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by rmeyer52@Oct 29 2003, 08:33 AM

I kind of heard that immediately after Parcells left, and we have been able to navigate with limited difficulties.

Some expounding on the point with contract numbers and ramifications would be helpful.

Anyone can say "this is a mess"-theyshould try expounding on the point.

I am of the ilk we are about to come out of the woods. But again, I can't expound on that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Teams do rebound after getting out of cap hell. We need to take the hits and rebuild a younger and more cap friendly team around Chad and Lamont and Moss. On Defnese around DR, Abe, Hobson and McGraw

All Pro
    Perhaps the comments are the cap situation assuming we sign Chad, Abe Ellis and McKenzie. Then, yes, we will be limited in the future.

But now, I wonder if we really are worse off then when Parcells left us.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The bite the bullet guys are Jones, Lewis, Vinny and?????????

Those are the guys that will produce cap hits that are exhorbitant and that need to go-although I thinhk Vinny may have earned himself another year, if he wants it.

What other contracts are out of control that need to be cut?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 29 2003, 09:57 AM
    Perhaps the comments are the cap situation assuming we sign Chad, Abe Ellis and McKenzie. Then, yes, we will be limited in the future.

Yes we are because many of these guys are too old and too slow to keep on the team any more. We have to bite the bullet and re-build. That is the REAL LONG TERM SOLUTION.

I am curious about one thing. When Tuna was here he would outright TERMINATE contracts. Can this be done without cap trouble?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetman67+Oct 29 2003, 10:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetman67 @ Oct 29 2003, 10:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007@Oct 29 2003, 09:57 AM

Yes we are because many of these guys are too old and too slow to keep on the team any more. We have to bite the bullet and re-build. That is the REAL LONG TERM SOLUTION.

I am curious about one thing. When Tuna was here he would outright TERMINATE contracts. Can this be done without cap trouble? [/b][/quote]
    Too bad teh Tuna didn&#39;t allow the contracts of Lewis, Mickens and some others go.

You cant TERMINATE a contract without absorbing the full unprorated hit of teh remainder of the signing bonus.

It&#39;s all about the signing bonus and what is left on it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Unless both sides agree to a restructure or an unconditional release of the agreement.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetman67@Oct 29 2003, 10:13 AM
    Unless both sides agree to a restructure or an unconditional release of the agreement.
    Jetman-That is teh worst thing you can do-restructure-You are just putting off the cap hit till later.

That is what Woody said he WOULD NOT do-credit card management of the cap