Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JOHN ABRAHAM

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

JOHN ABRAHAM IS OUT ON SUNDAY FOR THE RAIDERS AND CHREBET IS QUEST....

Veteran
    I don't care what people say, this team needs John Abraham. What is the status of McGraw and D. Abraham?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

mcgraw and donnie abe are still out........

All Pro
    If this is true, I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of trading Abraham. Always seems to miss a couple of games each year, and add in the DWI stuff, and maybe it's time to see what we can get for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Makes no difference at this point. IMO they should put the impact players who are banged up on the shelf for the season and start more rookies and start planning for next year.

Banned
    Originally posted by jetman67@Nov 3 2003, 07:05 PM
    Makes no difference at this point. IMO they should put the impact players who are banged up on the shelf for the season and start more rookies and start planning for next year.
    I Agree ... no-one should play unless they are 100% healthy ... why risk further injury for nothing

Waterboy
    I am starting to think that 8 years in the league is starting to catch up with Chrebet. For the last 3 years he has been on the injury report a lot. I think the Jets are a little conerned about that last contract that he signed. It could turn out to be another salary cap mistake in the future.

All Pro
    If we can't beat Rick Mirer without Abe we are in a world of $hit.

I agree though Abraham is a big part of this team, I can't believe some of you are trying to run this guy out of town.

All Pro
    Originally posted by pope@Nov 3 2003, 07:53 PM

I agree though Abraham is a big part of this team, I can't believe some of you are trying to run this guy out of town.
    I'm with you Pope. I want to see #94 stick around for many more years.

Man....if they can't beat Rick Mirer and the Retirement Village Raiders, its going to be a crappy Monday morning.

Waterboy

No one is running him out of town. I fully recognize Abe is among the elite pass rushers in the league. I also know he is one of the worst vs the run. He speed rushes and takes himself right out of run plays. He is also an injury issue. In a perfect world I would love to keep Abe. But the Jets are not a perfect world. They need an impact LB at MLB. Glenn is not that guy. And if Glenn can't play WOLB, then we probably need 2 LB's. We also will need a CB. Beasly is getting up there in age. We also need a SS. Garnes is getting older and McGraw may not be the player we thought he would be. And that is just the defensive side. On O we need a WR desperately. We also need a couple O lineman. We may even need a RB in the future because Jordan has looked like crap so far.

So, trading Abe does 2 things: One is that it will leave us with more money to pay for the other needs we have. Two is that he will get us a draft pick or 2 that we desperately need to fill positions. We are in cap hell so we cannot really adress our problems in FA like some other teams can. I would have loved to get Spikes last year. We couldn't. But one thing cap hell does force us to do is look to get better through the draft which is not a bad thing at all.

I am just saying it would probably be better to have a DE that is good gainst run/pass, but not stellar and get some of the afformentioned needs with Abe's value than to have a D that is great as a pass rushing unit but can't stop the run for their lives.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by SAR@Nov 3 2003, 07:50 PM
    I am starting to think that 8 years in the league is starting to catch up with Chrebet. For the last 3 years he has been on the injury report a lot. I think the Jets are a little conerned about that last contract that he signed. It could turn out to be another salary cap mistake in the future.
    Chrebet should pack it in soon before he ends up like Mark Bavaro - i think i saw him on the Giants sideline in street clothes... drooling

and that dude was only in the league 9 seasons.

Undrafted Free Agent

You're already in a world of $hit...with or without Abe.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

nobody is runnig abe out of town..... people thought we were running keyshawn out of town and look how good that worked out..... let me ask u this.. if we cant sign both abe and ellis wouldnt u like to get someone or high picks in exchange....thought so!!! if this were a normal franchise i would say keep them both but we all know something odd will happen so we are all preparing.... im sure if it were up to us we would sign both... but its not so the abe for picks seems realistic.....ofcourse we all want both but lets think worse case beacuse with the jets its always worse case.....

Banned
    Boozer, I totally understand the logic you are using here but I believe in a formula for building a championship team and JA is a big part of that formula

Ironically, while I kill the Jets for not having much talent I do believe they have some of the main pieces in place to complete the formula

THE FORMULA

1. Franchise QB ..... CP fills the bill

2. Homerun hitting WR ..... Moss fills the bill

3. Dominant Pass Rusher ..... JA fills the bill

4. 1200 to 1400 Yard RB ..... Jordan might fill the bill if given an opportunity

5. Tall WR to compliment the speedy homerun hitter ..... still need one of these

6. Shutdown CB ..... Still need one of these

7. Solid LB unit with at least one Impact Player ... Hobson and Cowart are solid, the Impact Player is needed

8. Dominant Bookend OT's with a solid middle ..... Needs work but this unit is the least difficult to fix through the draft

================================================== ===

1, 2 and 3 are already in place ... 4 is good enough ... 5 can easily be addressed in the 1st Rd of this draft ... 7 can likely be addressed at the top of Rd 2 {deep LB draft}

That leaves 6 and 8

With a shrewd draft we will only be missing two major ingrediants

And if we can free up enough cap space, by unloading enough dead wood, to make a run at only one costly free agent ... we can make a run at the Shutdown CB {Perhaps Champ Bailey?}

That would leave us with only a dominant O-Line left to build ... and we can get started in that direction by using the mid-to-late rounds of this draft to snatch a few mountain-men and hope for the best ... Quality O-Linemen, more than any other position, can be uncovered in the mid-to-late rounds

Either way, a few smart moves and the Jets will be THIS CLOSE to having all of the main ingrediants in place ... without needing to deal our Impact Pass Rusher {one of the primary ingrediants}

JMO

All Pro
    I still don't see why we can't afford Abe, Ellis & Chad.

All Pro
    Nice job GJ&H. That lays it out there perfectly.

I'm sold!

Waterboy
    We can. But we might be able to use the compensation (picks) and the money saved on other areas to help improve the overall team, not just the pass rush.

GJ&H:

That is a great assesment. I only disagree with a couple:

2. Yes we have a HR hitting WR, but we clearly need another WR that will take pressure off of him. When Moss starts facing constant double teams, he will not produce the way he has.

3. Yes Abe is a great pass rusher. But from the looks of it, so is Ellis. And he is a better run stopper. Is it really necessary to have 2 if losing 1 fills other needs like your #7 example??

4. I'm not so convinced of that. Jordan has looked downright aweful since he has been getting playing time in real games. Martin didn't look good in the breginning either so I'll chalk that time up to bad blocking for both RB's. But Martin has been running great from the BUF game on. Jordan has remained aweful during that time. He was downright atrocious against both the Eagles and the Giants. We may need to look to the draft for this.

But all in all, you p[ut in alot of time with your response and it makes alot of sense. I am not 100% sold that trading Abe is the right thing to do, but I am willing to look into the possibility that it may be best for the team in the long run. If Ellis continues to play like he is, the more I am convinced that we can live without Abe. Thanks for the great post though.

Banned
    Boozer, no problem my friend ... your post made a great deal of sense so it deserved a serious/respectful response

Like I said, I totally understand the logic you are using here ... I used the same logic when I came out in favor of swapping Coles for that high #1

And while I lean against dealing the dominant pass rusher, mostly cause I have always viewed these cats as GOLD, I would have to see the price and I would keep an open mind

For example, when Parcells dealt Hugh Douglas for a 2nd Rd Pick that was perhaps the dumbest trade in franchise history ... I said so at the time and I will take that to the grave

You wanna deal an Impact Pass Rusher like Hugh Douglas ... FINE ... but you better get a kings ransom in return

Parcells got his absolute pocket picked ... that lousy 2nd Rd Pick was not even in the same universe as adequate compensation

Now if we're talkin two 1st Rd Picks for JA ... then I'm listening

Waterboy
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Nov 3 2003, 09:46 PM
    Boozer, no problem my friend ... your post made a great deal of sense so it deserved a serious/respectful response

Like I said, I totally understand the logic you are using here ... I used the same logic when I came out in favor of swapping Coles for those two #1 Picks

And while I lean against dealing the dominant pass rusher, mostly cause I have always viewed these cats as GOLD, I would have to see the price and I would keep an open mind

For example, when Parcells dealt Hugh Douglas for a 2nd Rd Pick that was perhaps the dumbest trade in franchise history ... I said so at the time and I will take that to the grave

You wanna deal an Impact Pass Rusher like Hugh Douglas ... FINE ... but you better get a kings ransom in return

Parcells got his absolute pocket picked ... that lousy 2nd Rd Pick was not even in the same universe as adequate compensation

Now if we're talkin two 1st Rd Picks for JA ... then I'm listening
    I agree wholeheartedly. I don't want to see Abe go for a couple of late rounders. I just think maybe at the end of this season we start fielding offers and see what other teams are willing to give. If someone offers us say a 1st and 3rd, especially if it is a team that is not projected to be that good making the 1st round pick a potentially high one, then it needs to be seriously considered.

GJ&H, I can always count on you for a good well thought out debate. Good form old chap

Banned
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Nov 3 2003, 09:54 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly. I don't want to see Abe go for a couple of late rounders. I just think maybe at the end of this season we start fielding offers and see what other teams are willing to give. If someone offers us say a 1st and 3rd, especially if it is a team that is not projected to be that good making the 1st round pick a potentially high one, then it needs to be seriously considered.

GJ&H, I can always count on you for a good well thought out debate. Good form old chap
    Same here, Boozer

Here's what I would be looking for in terms of a price .....

#1 in the TOP 1-5 and a 4th

#1 in the TOP 6-10 and a 3rd

#1 in the TOP 11-15 and a 2nd

#1 out of the TOP 15 needs to be accompanied by another #1 or a 2nd & 3rd

Pass Rushers are like GOLD ... if someone wants one of the premiere young edge-rushers in the game they had best be prepared to cough-up the goods