Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santana's at fault for botched FG

All League
    Yep, it started with Santana at the 40 second mark. It took the officials 12 seconds to retrieve the ball after Moss spun it away when the whistle blew. Edwards and Westhoff will have a confrontational meeting today with Canales about ringing his receivers in and making them accountable for every second. Also, Chrebet will be substantially fined for laying motionless on the field too long after a hit when he didn't sustain a concussion, according to Edwards.

That 12 seconds could have gone to Brien, who being from California is under a "mental coach" who gets him into his "zone" for a kick. This all takes time-- all the mental checklists he must go thru besides the physical ones like pulling up socks. This guy has NEVER heard of a New York Minute, doesn't even know what it is!

Not Brien's fault.

Charter JI Member
    Humor?... :blink:

Please tell me you made up the thing about Chrebet. B)

All Pro
    It is all irrelevent. Brien is a fairly accurate kicker, but I don't think he could make a 51 yard FG if a hurricane was at his back. The chances of Chad picking up a first down on 4th and 4 is what? 50/50 at worst?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by dmaynard@Nov 4 2003, 10:05 AM
    It is all irrelevent. Brien is a fairly accurate kicker, but I don't think he could make a 51 yard FG if a hurricane was at his back. The chances of Chad picking up a first down on 4th and 4 is what? 50/50 at worst?
    disagree, he has already kicked one over 50 yds this year...and it has been said he was hitting them from over 50 in pre-game warmups..I blame Mawae (sorry Bren), his guy blew right by him like he wasn't even there..
    but must give props to the guy who blocked it...he saw no time left & timed his jump perfectly..

Rookie
    Wrong,

today's Post stated that it was Brian's fault. Coaching staff decided on second down to go for it. Westhoff said that Brian hit a 57 yarder in practice. Strong west wind would have been at his back. He didn't get his ass in gear on time. Everyone bashed Herm incorrectly. At least for that play.

All Pro
    Originally posted by jetfan13+Nov 4 2003, 10:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetfan13 @ Nov 4 2003, 10:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--dmaynard@Nov 4 2003, 10:05 AM
    It is all irrelevent. Brien is a fairly accurate kicker, but I don&#39;t think he could make a 51 yard FG if a hurricane was at his back. The chances of Chad picking up a first down on 4th and 4 is what? 50/50 at worst?
    disagree, he has already kicked one over 50 yds this year...and it has been said he was hitting them from over 50 in pre-game warmups..I blame Mawae (sorry Bren), his guy blew right by him like he wasn&#39;t even there..
    but must give props to the guy who blocked it...he saw no time left & timed his jump perfectly.. [/b][/quote]
    I still don&#39;t like his chances. If he has already kicked one from 50 yards, that is probably the last one we will see. This guy has a weak leg, period. Look at his kickoffs. I still go with Chad making 4 yards.

Rookie
    Originally posted by dmaynard+Nov 4 2003, 10:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dmaynard @ Nov 4 2003, 10:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -jetfan13@Nov 4 2003, 10:13 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--dmaynard
    @Nov 4 2003, 10:05 AM
    It is all irrelevent. Brien is a fairly accurate kicker, but I don&#39;t think he could make a 51 yard FG if a hurricane was at his back. The chances of Chad picking up a first down on 4th and 4 is what? 50/50 at worst?

disagree, he has already kicked one over 50 yds this year...and it has been said he was hitting them from over 50 in pre-game warmups..I blame Mawae (sorry Bren), his guy blew right by him like he wasn&#39;t even there..
    but must give props to the guy who blocked it...he saw no time left & timed his jump perfectly..
    I still don&#39;t like his chances. If he has already kicked one from 50 yards, that is probably the last one we will see. This guy has a weak leg, period. Look at his kickoffs. I still go with Chad making 4 yards. [/b][/quote]
    I would have gone for it to. But what if your ST coach was Westhoff, who everyone says is one of the best in the business, and he told you, no sweat Brian will make it. Would you still have gone against him?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by DoubleO@Nov 4 2003, 10:17 AM
    Wrong,

today&#39;s Post stated that it was Brian&#39;s fault. Coaching staff decided on second down to go for it. Westhoff said that Brian hit a 57 yarder in practice. Strong west wind would have been at his back. He didn&#39;t get his ass in gear on time. Everyone bashed Herm incorrectly. At least for that play.
    oh, my mistake, The Post.....I stand corrected, the Holy Bible of Trash said so

All League
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by DoubleO@Nov 4 2003, 10:17 AM
    Wrong,

today&#39;s Post stated that it was Brian&#39;s fault. Coaching staff decided on second down to go for it. Westhoff said that Brian hit a 57 yarder in practice. Strong west wind would have been at his back. He didn&#39;t get his ass in gear on time. Everyone bashed Herm incorrectly. At least for that play.
    Nope you&#39;re wrong.

The Post article lays blame onto Brien because thats what Herm and Westoff said to the Media. It&#39;s classic Bill Clinton style covering your ass.

I don&#39;t care about the decision to kick it or go for it, my problem is the time it took Herm to make that decision. And don&#39;t give me this crap about how he didn&#39;t know where the ball was going to be spotted. Of all of those coaches out there and up in the booth no one could tell Herm it was going to be spotted around the 32 yard line???? I don&#39;t buy it.

And don&#39;t give me that crap about if it was spotted further back then the 32 we wouldn&#39;t have kicked it. If you&#39;re that concerned about a 50 yard field goal you should be that concerned about a 49 yard FG or a 51 yard FG.

Rookie
    Originally posted by jetfan13+Nov 4 2003, 10:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetfan13 @ Nov 4 2003, 10:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DoubleO@Nov 4 2003, 10:17 AM
    Wrong,

oh, my mistake, The Post.....I stand corrected, the Holy Bible of Trash said so [/b][/quote]
    First off, the Post is 100 times better than the Daily News. Secondly, are you saying you are doubting our beloved coaching staff? (Insert Humor icon here)

Veteran
    Margate Fl soon to be Ocala FL by way of Da Bronx
    nope you are all wrong &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; &#33;&#33;&#33; last night i watched msg sports desk and they showed the replay

the kicker came out there and took his time fixing his sox &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; &#33;&#33;&#33; streching his legs thinking that he had all the time in the world >>>>

hurry and kick the dammn ball ...... but If i were Herm I would have went for it on 4 and 3 Pennington had the hot hand and the G-men were not stopping anyone...

Rookie
    Originally posted by IndianaJet+Nov 4 2003, 10:28 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (IndianaJet @ Nov 4 2003, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DoubleO@Nov 4 2003, 10:17 AM
    Wrong,

Nope you&#39;re wrong.

The Post article lays blame onto Brien because thats what Herm and Westoff said to the Media. It&#39;s classic Bill Clinton style covering your ass.

I don&#39;t care about the decision to kick it or go for it, my problem is the time it took Herm to make that decision. And don&#39;t give me this crap about how he didn&#39;t know where the ball was going to be spotted. Of all of those coaches out there and up in the booth no one could tell Herm it was going to be spotted around the 32 yard line???? I don&#39;t buy it.

And don&#39;t give me that crap about if it was spotted further back then the 32 we wouldn&#39;t have kicked it. If you&#39;re that concerned about a 50 yard field goal you should be that concerned about a 49 yard FG or a 51 yard FG. [/b][/quote]
    Whatever,

it&#39;s still a mood point. With 4 turnovers we shouldn&#39;t even have been in a situation to win. We&#39;ve got more pressing issues than if we were ready for a field goal or not.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by DoubleO+Nov 4 2003, 10:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DoubleO @ Nov 4 2003, 10:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -IndianaJet@Nov 4 2003, 10:28 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--DoubleO
    @Nov 4 2003, 10:17 AM
    Wrong,

Nope you&#39;re wrong.

And don&#39;t give me that crap about if it was spotted further back then the 32 we wouldn&#39;t have kicked it. If you&#39;re that concerned about a 50 yard field goal you should be that concerned about a 49 yard FG or a 51 yard FG.
    Whatever,

it&#39;s still a mood point. With 4 turnovers we shouldn&#39;t even have been in a situation to win. We&#39;ve got more pressing issues than if we were ready for a field goal or not. [/b][/quote]
    Now that I agree with

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Actually it was my fault.........

Practice Squad
    Am I the only person who thiks Stryzinsky should have taken the delay of game instead of having the ball snapped while his kicker was only hhalf way though his set up. There is no way Brien kicks it 50 yards with only a 2 steps to work with. This way we at least could have punted and saved the field position.

Originally posted by TimJet3000@Nov 4 2003, 10:58 AM
    Am I the only person who thiks Stryzinsky should have taken the delay of game instead of having the ball snapped while his kicker was only hhalf way though his set up. There is no way Brien kicks it 50 yards with only a 2 steps to work with. This way we at least could have punted and saved the field position.
    Herm needs to react faster,this is a long FG,and if your kicker needs time to get ready.....you gotta give it to him.
    but snapping the ball there was insane,someone needs to take control there and take the delay ???
    then punt and pin them deep.

Veteran
    I don&#39;t normally post to make fun of typos, but that one was pretty funny.

All League
    Originally posted by TimJet3000@Nov 4 2003, 10:58 AM
    Good point.

But now you&#39;re giving Herm 3 options to make a decision on for next time same situation: put it on the QB, the kicker or the placeholder.

All Pro
    Originally posted by jetfan13@Nov 4 2003, 10:13 AM
    Actually, Brien is 0-3 this year on 50+ yard FGs, or so says ESPN. Career, he&#39;s at 56% at 50+, but he hasnt nailed one at that distance in 4 years.

Doug Brien

Pregame warmups isnt the same as game situations. The guy doesnt have a strong leg, and he takes too long lining up his kicks. Thats a bad combination in that situation.

I like the original post...I think by Friday we&#39;ll be blaming the waterboy and the parking lot attendants

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Nov 4 2003, 11:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brooklyn Jet @ Nov 4 2003, 11:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13@Nov 4 2003, 10:13 AM
    Actually, Brien is 0-3 this year on 50+ yard FGs, or so says ESPN. Career, he&#39;s at 56% at 50+, but he hasnt nailed one at that distance in 4 years.

Doug Brien

Pregame warmups isnt the same as game situations. The guy doesnt have a strong leg, and he takes too long lining up his kicks. Thats a bad combination in that situation.

I like the original post...I think by Friday we&#39;ll be blaming the waterboy and the parking lot attendants [/b][/quote]
    BJ, will you be around on Sunday? Wanna meet up with my friends and I at PJ Hanley&#39;s?