Thread: Chrebets cap hit

All Pro
    People have been saying that the Jets would be hit with the whole signing bonus right away. How can this be??

Hypothtical: If the Jets signed Randy Moss next season for a $20mm signing bonus and jn week 3 of his 1st year he becomes paralyzed (god forbid but just an example), you mean to tell me the Jets would be hit with $20 mm right away?? I don't buy it. Can someone explain the rulr!

the signing bonus is prorated over the life of the contract. if a player retires his remaining salary is saved. however the whole signing bonus comes due. i do think u get 2 years to absorb it. that is what happened with barry sanders. when he retired the lions wanted some of the signing bonus returned. he said no and kept it.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Has CHREBET said anything about retireing or is it just the folks on this board bringing it up here?

Veteran
    could the jets get special dispensation because he is retiring for health reasons???

Veteran
    If crebet retires, the jets are off the hook (salary cap wise) after this year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by LesterLyles@Nov 11 2003, 05:38 PM
    People have been saying that the Jets would be hit with the whole signing bonus right away. How can this be??

Hypothtical: If the Jets signed Randy Moss next season for a $20mm signing bonus and jn week 3 of his 1st year he becomes paralyzed (god forbid but just an example), you mean to tell me the Jets would be hit with $20 mm right away?? I don't buy it. Can someone explain the rulr!
    Lester:

The NFL does not provide relief from the acceleration of a player's signing bonus if the player is released or retires as a result of injury. Under certain circumstances, a portion of the bonus can be recouped if the injury is non-football related. Also, contracts can contain bonus forfeiture clauses to prevent a player from retiring prematurely and unfairly banking a big bonus. This is the Barry Sanders situation, which also was applied in part to Deion.

But retirement or release in Wayne's case offers no such relief. It's one of the primary reasons, other than risk of poor play, that teams are so hesitant to dish out big bonuses - it carries huge liability.

Troy Aikman is an appropriate comparison here. Though in Aikman's case, he was technically released to avoid payment of a roster bonus, the fact that his release was based on his post-concussion syndrome did nothing to prevent a whopping $10M cap hit in Big D. Wayne's number of $4.8M can be spread over 2 years if necessary, but it's still a significant consideration.

All Pro
    Thanks Flow. I understand certain risks of a big signing bonus but for fluke injuries or early retirement, it just doesn't seem too fair.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I agree that it's harsh.

If you're looking for a rationale - my best guess is this:

In a violent sport in which every player suffers at least one serious injury during the course of his career, it becomes problematic to provide cap rebates for injury-related cuts. Every cut/retirement will wind up in arbitration with a judge deciding a team's cap fate based on the expert testimony of physicians attempting to determine the undeterminable: whether a player can continue to play effectively after sustaining an injury. That's a subjective judgment call.

The player gets paid the bonus anyway. And teams benefit by ensuring the prevention of unscrupulous teams circumventing the cap based on injury rebates.

Sure, teams can get screwed in some cases. But all in all, the rule works.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

BTW, Steve Young is yet another injury-induced retirement example.

All Pro
    Thanks flow. You sure cleared that up.

And the current system is more fair to everyone then deciding all releases by arbitration, which will drag on forever, and never get it right anyway.