Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambivalence

Banned
    My friends, not since the Clueless Kotite Days have I felt this feeling ... ambivalence is setting in

I look at this CS and I see no hope

I look at this defense and I see no hope

I see a CS that is so utterly clueless it scares me

I look at this defense and I wonder how we ever win a Game in this league?

I look at 12 men on the field ... a new weekly occurance ... and I wonder if this is the Twilight Zone?

I look at the clock management and I wonder if anyone on our sideline can even count to ten?

I look at the way we go into a shell on offense when the Game is on the line ... after gashing the opposition downfield all day long ... and I wonder if this is Candid Camera, and I'm the mark?

I look at the old linebackers starting week after week ... in spite of the fact that anyone with the mental capacity of a three year old can tell you they are finished ... and I wonder if we are throwing these Games on purpose?

I look at promising young players who need to place a loaded pistol to the head of this staff in order to get on the field, and I wonder if this is some kinda sick dream?

I look at defensive schemes that seem designed to let the offense score ... the lack of blitzing, the lack of aggression, and the total passivity ... and I wonder when this nightmare will ever end?

And then I think of the future with this staff and I Just toss up my hands and say ... @#$& IT

Ambivalence sets in ... total ambivalence

It's like ... we lost today ... yeah okay ... what else is new ... get used to the idea ... there's plenty more where that came from

Not since Kotite, my friends ... not since Kotite

Okay, I have a confession ... during the Kotite years I actually rooted for the Jets to lose ... my Greatest fear was that the Jets would win Just enough Games to save Kotite's Job

Am I there with Herm ... have I arrived at that same place?

I don't know ... right now I'm too numb to the whole idea of what the future holds to even answer that question

I Just watched the worst Jets defense I have ever seen in my life ... that's over 30 years of football ... so I'm still kinda shell-shocked

I Just watched PERHAPS the worst defense I have ever seen in all of my years on this planet ... by any team ... on any level ... so I'm still in a state of shock

OH MY GOODNESS ... how do we ever Win a Game with this defense?

And worse than that, how long will it take to fix this mess?

I wouldn't even know where to begin ... I really wouldn't ... it's that bad

Hey, I was under the FALSE IMPRESSION that at least we had a head start with the D-Line ... I'm not even sure of that anymore

I'm only sure of one thing ... this defense is a complete disaster and it will take an Act of God to fix this mess

WOW, this really is a return to the Kotite Days ... HOPELESS ... ALL HOPE IS GONE

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Nov 16 2003, 09:33 PM

WOW, this really is a return to the Kotite Days ... HOPELESS ... ALL HOPE IS GONE
    I'm holding you to this next year, maybe you'll learn a lesson

All League
    I'm close to the point that while I can't help but root for this team, there is an undertow of discomfort that any success might prevent the changes that need to be made at season's end.There is thought deep inside my head wishing they lose every game badly so that Johnson out of sheer embarrassment would have no choice but to can this idiotic FO and CS at the end of the season.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Youre so right. Only thing is that I saw this bs 2 year's ago.

All Pro
    can't balme the coaching staff entirely - i balme the Cotrell & the Defesne - for once i think that Hackett called a pretty good game.. and if the offense and special teams can pput up 31 pts you need to win

this lost falls squarely on Cottrel

All League
    Just look at this...

401 yards passing
    145 yards rushing
    546 yards total

I'm sorry, but a decent NFL defense should never NEVER NEVER give up 546 yards of offense. It's not just inexcusable. It has to make you rightly question everything this coaching staff is doing-the scheme, the personnel, the talent, the evaulation of talent. What have they been doing for 3 seasons?

500+ yards is a disgrace.

All League
    We obviously have one of the slowest defenses in the league to close in and react to the play. The thing I could not understand is we play the same base defense it seems inviting manning to dictate the game to us.
    Johnson in Philly is a masterful job in mixing up his defenses to confuse the offense-why can we at least try to be more aggressive-it is better than looking so passive.
    Phil Simms could not believe how shoddy the Jet defense played even without any ehustle-now that is indictment of the players bottom line is though they do not have the talent

All League
    I lay this on the coaching to the largest degree...

It's hard to assess talent level, when the D is so lacking in fundamentals.

12 men on the field.
    Poor tackling.
    Missing gap assignments.

The list goes on.

You cannot change 11 guys on D in the offseason. and to say the Jets D lacks talent is shortsighted.

Get someone in here that can get the D to play inspired football for 4 quartes, and give them a D scheme that fits their talents.

Veteran
    Ok now i think we've reached that point in the season where we start thinking of those great nicknames for our TOP NOTCH star players and coaches...I'll start off with a few of my own.

Teddy "Where's the Keger" Cottrell

Mo "Biggie Size That" Lewis

Marvin "The Relic" Jones

Banned
    Originally posted by MossMan+Nov 16 2003, 09:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MossMan @ Nov 16 2003, 09:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham@Nov 16 2003, 09:33 PM

I&#39;m holding you to this next year, maybe you&#39;ll learn a lesson [/b][/quote]
    MossMan, Give it a rest

Don&#39;t blame the fans cause the team has given us a feeling of hopelessness

What, you think I want this team to suck?

I have been rooting for this team maybe since before you were born ... so don&#39;t give me any of this, I&#39;ll hold you to it BS

HTF can you look at this defense and not feel demoralized?

How can you watch this horror show unfold and not feel afraid of what the furure holds?

Let me tell you something, it only troubles me because I give a &#036;hit ... IF I didn&#39;t I wouldn&#39;t be here ... IF I didn&#39;t I wouldn&#39;t have wasted a lifetime waiting for this team to run out of that tunnel on SB Sunday ... and waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting

MM, I was in elementary school when this team won the SB ... elementary school ... 8 years old

I&#39;m 42 and I&#39;m still waiting for a return to the show ... that&#39;s 34 Years and Counting

So excuse me if this pisses me off ... excuse me if I look at this defense and wonder if I&#39;m lookin at yet another rebuilding project ... after 34 Years that prospect does not exactly bring a smile to my face

Is that okay with you?

Banned
    Originally posted by Greenwave81@Nov 16 2003, 10:13 PM
    You cannot change 11 guys on D in the offseason

Get someone in here that can get the D to play inspired football for 4 quartes, and give them a D scheme that fits their talents
    EXACTLY RIGHT

You can defend this staff till the cows come home, but the bottom line is ... we cannot change 11 men on defense

I WISH WE COULD ... BUT WE CAN&#39;T&#33;&#33;

The only thing we can do is bring in a new staff ... one that takes a more aggressive approach to defense ... and hope that starts the turn-around

This Staff and this scheme Just isn&#39;t gettin it done ... PERIOD

Blame the players ... Go right ahead ... I DO ... but unless you can reveal your secret plan for fixing this mess in one fell swoop, A CHANGE AT THE TOP is needed

Veteran
    if we get a defensive coach who has a clue and can implement a solid system this defense would vastly improve. Factor in an offseason where mo lewis will be cut and some young lb&#39;s and db&#39;s will be added. This defense should improve to an average defense, with chad running the show and a middle of the road defense we can get back in the playoffs next year.

right now this defense is a complete embarassment and abominination. Heads should roll for the disgrace that is occuring on the field. I would start with fat teddy. he has had this defense in the bottom of the league all 3 yrs, how does he even still have a job?&#33;?&#33;

After this year, he&#39;ll have to go coach high school, or if he&#39;s lucky be a linebacker coach, or maybe the guy who moves the wires on the sideline :blink:

All League
    Good stuff Hammer. Not too long ago, I would&#39;ve disagreed with you on the Herm situation flat out&#33;

Now, I&#39;m starting to think you may be right: This team may be better off with a new HC and GM. Still, I think neither goes.

Here&#39;s how I think this plays out:

**Jets will go 6-10 this season. This, coupled with Chad&#39;s injury, will take a lot of pressure off Herm and Bradway.

**Team will, however, have to make changes, and I think Cottrell may be the first one to go. With him, I think they take out the D-Line coach too.

**If the Jets continue to ring up points on offense, Hackett stays :unsure:

Recomandation: I would go back and bring back some of the younger players that played well in camp (in 100 degree weather) and the pre-season. This could send the message that Jets want to reward players for effort, work ethic and tenacity.....not keeping vets that play for a check or signing the likes of Lockett and Sheppard from the outside who are worthless <_<

Banned
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Nov 17 2003, 12:19 AM
    **Team will, however, have to make changes, and I think Cottrell may be the first one to go. With him, I think they take out the D-Line coach too.

**If the Jets continue to ring up points on offense, Hackett stays :unsure:
    Riggo, you already know I would clean house

But barring a house cleaning ... I agree with this scenario

I have my issues with Hackett ... mostly how he goes into a shell late in Games ... but he works well with CP and right now CP is the franchise ... for that reason alone Hackett Stays {IF there is no house cleaning}

Also agree on Ted Cottrell ... TOTALLY USELESS ... he walks the plank for this disaster, no IFS, ANDS, or BUTS ... and he absolutely takes Ruben Carter with him

All League
    GJ&H: I&#39;m sorry man. I know it hurts.

I honestly think that if the NYJ organization has the conviction to just lop off the head, ALL of it. The coahces and Bradway, the Jets aren&#39;t as many players as you would think from competing, though they&#39;re a lot of players from being great.

As long as Penningtons in a green uni, you&#39;ll never be that many changes away from competitiveness.

Banned
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Nov 17 2003, 12:37 AM
    GJ&H: I&#39;m sorry man. I know it hurts.

I honestly think that if the NYJ organization has the conviction to just lop off the head, ALL of it. The coahces and Bradway, the Jets aren&#39;t as many players as you would think from competing, though they&#39;re a lot of players from being great.

As long as Penningtons in a green uni, you&#39;ll never be that many changes away from competitiveness.
    Sometimes a man on the outside lookin in can see things more clearly ... I believe that is the case here

With an outstanding CS this team may not be as bad is it looks ... there are a number of holes but there is also a decent nucleus to build upon

IF I owned this team, the decision would already be made ... Bob Stoops would be the wealthiest HC who ever lived

Excellent Post, RS ... and thanks for the kind words

BTW, told you BB&#39;s schemes would expose Quincy Carter ... way too much for the neophyte to handle ... Congrats on another Big Win ... at this time of year, when you&#39;re in the hunt, they&#39;re all BIG

All League
    As bleak as it seems right now with the Indy loss, the future has to be bright for the Jets as we have a wealth of talent with some young players. Pennington truly gives us hope for the future. Seymour is right, and we just have to suck it up for now. Our day will come.

GJ&H,

Did you see Herm&#39;s post game press conference? When asked about the defense&#39;s performance today he said "We just didnt get the turnovers."

LMAO. We have a coaching staff that relies on turnovers in order to stop the other team. No 3 and outs, no schemes to get those 3 and outs. Nope, we just rely on turnovers lol.

Why even practice? Just go out there every week and hope the other team turns the ball over.

Its a lost cause.

Veteran
    I don&#39;t know why everyone here is talking down on our defense.
    We don&#39;t have a defense to talk down about, just some fatass so called "coordinator" and the guys out there who act like they are trying to stop the other team from scoring. Funny really, they just go out there and get annihilated on every drive. Chad and Santana and company can&#39;t do it all. What good is scoring on offense if your so called defense just half asses on the field and doesn&#39;t give a s**t? I say give Cotrell his walking papers.
    And I will take this opportunity to officially welcome myself to the Darksiders now.

Banned
    Originally posted by JetsMan57@Nov 17 2003, 01:01 AM
    GJ&H,

Did you see Herm&#39;s post game press conference? When asked about the defense&#39;s performance today he said "We just didnt get the turnovers."

LMAO. We have a coaching staff that relies on turnovers in order to stop the other team. No 3 and outs, no schemes to get those 3 and outs. Nope, we just rely on turnovers lol.

Why even practice? Just go out there every week and hope the other team turns the ball over.

Its a lost cause.
    "It&#39;s a lost cause"

Yep, that pretty much says it all