Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After we lose...

Hall Of Fame
    He must of been the only JET player/coach/fan who had a smile from ear to ear when he went to shake Dungys hand. I do not care if you are his best friend or not. The display put on by our defense yesterday was so god damn horrendous we wouldn't of been able to stop Wagner College. As a ex-defensive player, and a DB to boot, you think this guy would do something to adjust our coverage against a team who did not have Harrison or Pollard. But No, we make Dallas Clark look like a Pro-Bowler. Truly Sickening. To whoever said we played well, wait till this week, we'll get blown out by a team like the Jaguars, these are the games we lose.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

What did you want him to do.

Punch Dungy in the nose?

For crying out loud, just face the facts that that we've been rebuilding on the go, will ya. In hindsight it's easy to bash it. But geez, if the plan worked.........I don't know, but I'd bet a billion dollars you'd be one of the millions of Jets fans that knew it all along.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Jet Addict SouthFL@Nov 18 2003, 01:24 AM
    He must of been the only JET player/coach/fan who had a smile from ear to ear when he went to shake Dungys hand. I do not care if you are his best friend or not. The display put on by our defense yesterday was so god damn horrendous we wouldn't of been able to stop Wagner College. As a ex-defensive player, and a DB to boot, you think this guy would do something to adjust our coverage against a team who did not have Harrison or Pollard. But No, we make Dallas Clark look like a Pro-Bowler. Truly Sickening. To whoever said we played well, wait till this week, we'll get blown out by a team like the Jaguars, these are the games we lose.
    Are you saying John Barrett from Wagner college can run for 200 yards on our defense? because i agree,I know him well and always teases me when i see him about how he would love the chance to play against our D.

All Pro
    Our defense couldn't stop Christopher Reeve from going up a frozen slope into a headwind.

But if he's smiling as he's meeting his good friend Dungy as they shake hands I say no big deal, that's a smile between friends.

Veteran
    I think the bottom line is that we rarely see any strong shows of emotion from Herm on the sideline. You always knew what Parcells was thinking. Herm needs to do something out there...smirks won't cut it.

Banned
    Smiling after a loss is not acceptable ... it's a bad sign ... it speaks of a man who does not HATE losing

I'm talkin HATE ... as in, the very idea of losing makes him sick

That kinda man will do everything humanly possible to avoid losing

He will cut players, rheem assistants, burn the midnite oil, study every last nuance of the opposition, work his team into a frenzy ... whatever it takes to avoid what he HATES

Talk to Just about any Great Player or Coach who ever lived and then will tell you the same thing ... they HATED LOSING even more than they LOVED WINNING

As George S. Patton once said ... "I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed"

All League
    Attention all Jets fans, ATTENTION....

You, the Jets fan, care more about winning and losing, than the player/coach.

You are passionate about the game, but have no imput as to its outcome, thus making it that much more frustrating to watch.

Thats the way it goes, get used to it. Football is their job, not their life. They don't have 1/2 the emotions the Jet fan has sitting in their seats at the game, or their couch at home watching the game.

They play to win, but when its over, they still have to eat dinner, go out for drinks, BS with friends, just like you after work...

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Nov 18 2003, 09:39 AM
    Smiling after a loss is not acceptable ... it's a bad sign ... it speaks of a man who does not HATE losing

He will cuts players, rheem assistants, burn the midnite oil, study every last nuance of the opposition, work his team into a fenzy ... whatever it takes to avoid what he HATES

Talk to Just about any Great Player or Coach who ever lived and then will tell you the same thing ... they HATED LOSING even more than they LOVED WINNING

As George S. Patton once said ... "I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed"
    that's a great post

Hall Of Fame
    I was also taken back by his smile. I understand smiles betweens friends but that was no smile, it was a beam as if he had just won the lottery and had a pamela anderson look-alike hooker and a bottle of johnny walker waiting for him in the locker room.
    If you go to a funeral, you see friends, but you dont neccessarily smile. Not like that. That was a funeral to me.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Nov 18 2003, 05:39 AM

He will cuts players, rheem assistants, burn the midnite oil, study every last nuance of the opposition, work his team into a fenzy ... whatever it takes to avoid what he HATES

You dont play pro football at the level Herm has played and not
    Hate to lose.
    Did you see Tuna hug BB after the Dallas loss..
    Its an emotional game and when its over its over.
    By the way ,it is a game,not a war.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Jetsacuse@Nov 18 2003, 01:49 AM
    I think the bottom line is that we rarely see any strong shows of emotion from Herm on the sideline. You always knew what Parcells was thinking. Herm needs to do something out there...smirks won't cut it.
    well, how about picking his nose like Joe Walton? or scratching his balls like Richie Kotite?..oh. oh I know, how about rah rah pep talks like Lou Holtz?

I don't care what he does on the sidelines...you want to talk about between the lines fine..but i couldn't care less if he screams or smirks outside the lines

All League
    Marty Morningweg Used to pop blood vessels on that Detriot sideline

Both Cowher & Gruden are still snarling on the sidelines, and their teams are stinking it up this year.

Point is, a coaches sideline hijinks has no impact on the game....Do you really think Herm's smile was an act of treason? Get a life.

All Pro
    His smile and warm display of feelings to Dungy don't bother me. I hope he saved all his anger and venom for the defensive team meetings going on today.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by mbn007@Nov 18 2003, 11:17 AM
    His smile and warm display of feelings to Dungy don't bother me. I hope he saved all his anger and venom for the defensive team meetings going on today.
    EXACTLY

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sometimes I really wonder where you people come up with your criteria of a coach. Do you really hold someones outward demeanor and facial contortions as an exhibit of how they feel or what their desirs is? If so, I will tell you that you are on a fishing expedition and your bait here is rather loosely concocted.

A little story here: I recently learned that my father in law at 72 years of age has concoted three brain tumors. They are inoperable and all they can do for this fine man is give him radiation. The long term prognosis for him is not great. He has recently overcome battles with a heart by-pass as well as lung cancer. This may be a final blow, though.

Since I had heard of the diagnosis several weeks ago, I had not had the opportunity to se him until last night. I was something that I was woried about all day yesterday on how I would react to what I would be his sure dour outlook on the whole situation.

Anyway, long story short, my father law was as jovial and vivacious as I have ever seen him in his life. He was joking about what was happening to him and carried himself splenidly for a person that knows his final prognosis.

This man is a very positive up-beat person. This is how he carries himself in life.

Did I walk away from last nights dinner thinking "boy this person doesn't care about life. doesn't care abouit dieing?" NO-I am not that silly trite, or presumptuous to make a stupid connection like that.

Point being-Just because you feel Herm has the GAUL (your feeling) to smile in the face adversity, DO NOT assume that is how he feels inside.

My God people please get a better reason to hate Herm than that. He DOES NOT have to outwardly be something he is not, just yto make you feel better about yourself and him and his coaching in a loss.

Something so trivial but I continue to see it pop up as a reason to have a problem with Herm. learn something about people and life-Please.

As youy can see, I am in a passionate mode today.

TomShane
    Winning is important to Herm, BUT Herm rationalizes losing. That, to me, is unnacceptable.

Also, and I can't forget the jerk-off who tries to contradict me on this one , there was some Jet coach laughing his ass off during the last seconds of a previous loss after it became clear that we lost. Nothing like a sense of urgency, eh?

No wonder his players don't give a shi*.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by TomShane@Nov 18 2003, 11:57 AM
    Winning is important to Herm, BUT Herm rationalizes losing. That, to me, is unnacceptable.

Also, and I can't forget the jerk-off who tries to contradict me on this one , there was some Jet coach laughing his ass off during the last seconds of a previous loss after it became clear that we lost. Nothing like a sense of urgency, eh?

No wonder his players don't give a shi*.
    Tom-If you want to make things up for the sake of an agenda -go ahead-why let the truth get in the way of what you fel supports your agenda.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Scott Dierking+Nov 18 2003, 11:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Scott Dierking @ Nov 18 2003, 11:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane@Nov 18 2003, 11:57 AM

Also, and I can&#39;t forget the jerk-off who tries to contradict me on this one , there was some Jet coach laughing his ass off during the last seconds of a previous loss after it became clear that we lost. Nothing like a sense of urgency, eh?

No wonder his players don&#39;t give a shi*.
    Tom-If you want to make things up for the sake of an agenda -go ahead-why let the truth get in the way of what you fel supports your agenda. [/b][/quote]
    Ahh, the jerk-off rears his pre-pubescent head&#33;

I believe it was you who actually "made things up" when you hypothesized that Herm cracked a funny and that the coach was just responding to Herm.

I reported what was seen on TV, that a coach was seen laughing after a loss, and this is inexcusable. YOU were the one who added fu*king dialogue, as if that dismissed the fact that having a good time while losing is not especially conducive to creating a winning atmosphere.

Who&#39;s revisionist now?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by TomShane+Nov 18 2003, 12:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Nov 18 2003, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Scott Dierking@Nov 18 2003, 11:59 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane
    @Nov 18 2003, 11:57 AM

Also, and I can&#39;t forget the jerk-off who tries to contradict me on this one , there was some Jet coach laughing his ass off during the last seconds of a previous loss after it became clear that we lost. Nothing like a sense of urgency, eh?

No wonder his players don&#39;t give a shi*.

Tom-If you want to make things up for the sake of an agenda -go ahead-why let the truth get in the way of what you fel supports your agenda.
    Ahh, the jerk-off rears his pre-pubescent head&#33;

I believe it was you who actually "made things up" when you hypothesized that Herm cracked a funny and that the coach was just responding to Herm.

I reported what was seen on TV, that a coach was seen laughing after a loss, and this is inexcusable. YOU were the one who added fu*king dialogue, as if that dismissed the fact that having a good time while losing is not especially conducive to creating a winning atmosphere.

Who&#39;s revisionist now? [/b][/quote]
    Tom-I didn&#39;t realize that someone was a "jerk-off" just beacaue they disagreed with you. Must be a lot of me running around.

Tom, You had mentioned after the Philly game that you felt an assistant was luaghing at the 4 sec mark before the hail mary. You hypothesized that this type of loose behavior was an indictment of the coaching staff.

Well I had Tivo&#39;ed the game as I ws on a flight during it, and I decided to watch for this particular infraction.

I watched and this is what I reported to you. At the timeout, after th eplay had been calledm Herm turned around to one of his assitants, during a tense moment and mouthed something like "Boy all of these come down to the end dont they. Or we can&#39;t make an easy, can we?" Something to that effect. His head was turned from me so I CAN NOT read the lips. Anyway, The assistant gave a littlke chuckle at Herm&#39;s attempt to break the tension.

WOW-Soem guys are breaking a tense moment with a little cut-up. lwets call the coaching police and immediately fine them.

Of course, Tom, I am sure you have audio of Herm saying to the assistant " I don&#39;t care if we win or lose?"-Right.

Because these are all such great indictments of a coach.

Boys. we can all do better than this. Tome-You are a better football person than this. Sorry

Hall Of Fame
    Enough with the micro-analysis of every facial contortion Herm makes. My God, when a coach does or doesn&#39;t smile has nothing to do with anything&#33;

Herm may or may not be the right coach for this team, but his facial expressions have little to do with the evaluation process.

Losing sucks and all, but let&#39;s keep things in perspective. None of us are on the team or on the sidelines or in the meetings. This doesn&#39;t mean we aren&#39;t allowed to evaluate Herm as a coach, but it does mean that we aren&#39;t allowed to "interpret" every expression the guy makes or doesn&#39;t make or the significance of when he does or doesn&#39;t make them.