Thread: Heres the Cap situation

Saw this on another board. Can anyone veriufy the accuracy?

All Pro
    I've seen similar numbers on a rival board here on the 'net. Not all the guys have the same $$$ figures, but it's real close.

All Pro
    If Vinny really has a $4,000,000 base for 2004, then he's definitely heading out the door. No way the Jets can carry him as a backup at that salary. And restructuring base salary to bonus would only worsen the Jets long-term salary cap woes. Time to say goodbye, Vinny.

All Pro
    look at Vinny T's numbers :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I am no cap expert but Santana Moss's contract looks pretty low. His agent is going to want a raise. I'd want a raise if I was Santana.

We talk about paying Pennington, Ellis and Abraham but the day will come when we have to give Santana pro bowl money because he is playing like a pro bowl wideout.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Can someone explain to me to ramifications of cutting a player like chrebet? 2.8 mil base plus 800k+ seems a bit steep. i thought that nfl salaries are not guaranteed but does chrebet have something in his contract that would worsen the cap situation if we released him?

and same question for marvin jones, mo lewis, and vinny

Dave

All League
    no cap expert here either

is the cap hit incurred from bonus or straight salary

VT case. Is $4m the hit or is it bonus of $3.5M plus outyear bonus money?

i would think if you cut salary, then that should not be a hit.

Mo Lewis would be a $1.5hit and Marvin $600K????

Undrafted Free Agent
    i just read further down on the forum and there is a good cap discussion entitled "we got old dudes...cap situation?"
    it served as a sort of salary cap 101.

Dave

All Pro
    The cap hit is the acceleration of the bonus $$, which is paid out in advance, or at an agreed upon time. This is what hurts the cap, if a player is cut early. The salary is not an issue. You need to know the total signing bonus, and how long the original contract was, in years, to calculate the effect of an early termination.

This is an over-simplification, but you get the idea from this.

We need to see what for example Chrebets bonus #'s are for 2005, 2006. If you cut him it again all gets accelerated. There are some options but this team is in cap hell for the next couple of years, I'm sure Chad would like a long term deal for security. I'm sure we can reduce his 4 million dollar base for next year by giving him a nice signing bonus spread over 5-6 years??
    Why can't Vinny take one for the team? Reduce his 2004 base salary in half to say 2 million. It would be a start and he is already going to be paid like an elite QB in the twilight of his career? Now I know it's asking somone to give back what they have on the table. The other option is he can walk away from his contract/base salary and not see any of it? 2 million is better than no million?? Both sides have a valid position on this so let's see how it shakes out?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The chart is a good start, but it is not accurate.

The chart does not take into consideration option bonuses, (and we are currently being charged for a few), "dead money", or significant accelerators/incentives that we'll face next year for Moss.

Also, our contracts also have a number of quirky provisions that aren't accounted for. For example, instead of VT's salary of $4M as listed on NFLPA, his salary will decelerate to $1M next year and we'll also be charged approximately $750K in playing time incentives accrued but not charged in 2003. We also get a prorated credit for Evans' bonus charged to our cap but subsequently forfeited. There are a lot of nuances such as the few examples I listed that are not reflected in a chart taken from the NFLPA salary schedule and linked with basic initial signing bonus proration.

Again, it's a good start and I'm glad someone took the time to put it together, but needs tightening up and each player should be evaluated on a player-by-player basis.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Jim 325@Dec 1 2003, 12:05 PM
    We need to see what for example Chrebets bonus #'s are for 2005, 2006.
    Chrebet has $4.8M in unamortized bonus money. We'd also be responsible for an injury settlement.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

One plus-Look at Penningtons base salary for 2004-It is up over 4 mill. What the Jets can do is re-sign Chad this off season, and assign the majority of that base salary as part of a signing bonus that would be spread out over the life of the deal.

The Jets shoudl be able to shave off a couple mill just signing Pennington alone. Right, Flow?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Donnie Abraham is another player that can be dealt with and save to the cap based on how long his contract has on it.

This seems pretty workable, now.

Banned
    Originally posted by Flowtrain+Dec 1 2003, 01:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flowtrain @ Dec 1 2003, 01:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jim 325@Dec 1 2003, 12:05 PM
    We need to see what for example Chrebets bonus #&#39;s are for 2005, 2006.
    Chrebet has &#036;4.8M in unamortized bonus money. We&#39;d also be responsible for an injury settlement. [/b][/quote]
    Flow, how much will the JETS be under. I keep reading that its around 13-15 mill, but most of it will go to extensions.?