Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL out of control, first Mawae now this

All Pro
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee Titans cornerback Samari Rolle was fined $12,500 by the NFL on Thursday for a throat-slash gesture and celebrating an interception against the New York Jets.

Rolle said he plans to appeal both fines.

Rolle was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct after catching a ball in the end zone in the first quarter of the Titans' 24-17 loss to the Jets. He waved his right hand twice near his neck, was flagged by the officials and fined $5,000 for the banned throat-slash gesture.

Rolle, who has three interceptions in four games, said he was also fined $7,500, apparently for high-fiving teammate Andre Dyson after intercepting a pass in the end zone.

Rolle had previously been fined $5,000 by the NFL for dancing during the Titans' 30-17 victory over Miami on Nov. 9.

"I'm pushing $20,000 by some people who've never run out of a tunnel before and don't know the emotions that the game is played under," Rolle said. "They're taking the fun away."

All League
    Agree. These penalites and fines for celebrations are absolutely ridiculous. I find the throat cut and dancing etc. entertaining and shows personalities out there. The NFL is getting crazy about this, the players association union should start making a big fuss about it.

There are some things okay to penalize or fine-- like throwing your helmet or ball at a player in frustration or disrespecting another team by waltzing thru their warmup before a game or shoving an official etc. but not celebration-type stuff...leave the players alone for cryin' out loud.

All Pro
    However, I'd be pretty cool with them fining Deion Branch for that utter mess he displayed in the endzone. :lol:

What the christ was that? :blink:

Banned
    those are the rules people...they are playing for the nfl, the nfl made the rules, they play by them or get fined...i don't see what the big deal is...i definatly think they should be allowed to have fun and i don't agree with everyone of these rules, but those are the rules and they signed a contract to play football for the nfl, the nfl says those are the rules...

its like me being an american citizen but i refuse to abide by the rules...but its ok because i don't believe in them...if i said that im sure all of you would be behind me right? uh huh...i bet...

All Pro
    High fives & dancing are illegal? :blink: Since when?

Banned
    If you wanna be a performer, Join the Screen Actors Guild

If you wanna be a football player, PLAY FOOTBALL ... and save the clown act for the Ringling Bros. Circus

Banned
    i don't think anyone got fined for high fiving...but yes exessive celebrations are illegal under nfl rules...so they get fined...either deal with it and pay the f'n fine or play by the rules...

btw...i think players should be allowed to have fun, i thought the terrell owens sharpie incident was funny as hell...but he should get fined...i mean c'mon, 20000...these guys are pulling in 1 million at least, that would be like 1000 for someone who makes 50000...its a lot, but c'mon, you know you are gonna get fined...

All Pro
    Rolle, who has three interceptions in four games, said he was also fined $7,500, apparently for high-fiving teammate Andre Dyson after intercepting a pass in the end zone.

Maybe he's leaving out something he did while high fiving but if Deion Branch and Kelly Washington are not fined as well (and I've yet to hear anything about these guys) for acting like complete jacka$$es in the endzone then the league clearly has it in for Rolle.

Banned
    i really doubt it is for high fiving and high fiving only...if thats all he did, then id agree the nfl is going a little crazy...

btw...what did deion branch and kelly washington do? i didn't see or hear anything about either of them...

All League
    It is just one of those things that they are making an example of someone.

The high fives seems a little much, but the throat slashing was put on the "no no list" last year.

There is a fine line between celebrating and what would become 4 hours of people dancing around if the NFL didn't try to curb some of it.

BZ

All Pro
    ywm, you have to actually see them to believe it. 2 of the worst endzone celebrations ever, I can't even describe them in words.

Banned
    i don't want you guys to all think that im against the celebrations...i like seeing the emotion on the field, at times its always gonna go overboard...
    the thing is, i don't understand how people can be Angry when they get fined...they know the rules...

but hmmm...when did these celebrations occur? the branch and washington ones? i would like to see them if they are that ridiculous...

All League
    im only against the celebrations which are stupid and can cost your team the game such as throwing your helmet off and celebrating, running backwards or whatever can get you a dumb penalty. it just doesnt make sense. i think its ok for a little dance or a lamont jordan chainsaw or spray paint move .

Hall Of Fame
    I understand teh throat slashing gesture and all but Samari didn't do the classic throat slah he just waved his hand at the neck area I know it sounds silly written down but to see it makes a difference

All Pro
    Originally posted by R. Tyme@Dec 4 2003, 08:14 PM
    Agree. These penalites and fines for celebrations are absolutely ridiculous. I find the throat cut and dancing etc. entertaining and shows personalities out there. The NFL is getting crazy about this, the players association union should start making a big fuss about it.

There are some things okay to penalize or fine-- like throwing your helmet or ball at a player in frustration or disrespecting another team by waltzing thru their warmup before a game or shoving an official etc. but not celebration-type stuff...leave the players alone for cryin' out loud.
    ask any veteran and he will tell you - ACT LIKE YOU BEEN THERE BEFORE -
    remeber KJ first TD - at home vs Ind - he acted like an ass

All League
    Miami has more hot dogs than a Dairy Queen, yet they never get fined for their excessive, me-oriented celebrating.

I don't agree with fining. It truly has become the No Fun League. I would fine the Dolphins for their celebrations. That would be it (in fact any team celebrating against Miami would get $1 million in extra salary cap room ).

Waterboy
    If a celebration has taunting jestures that is wrong and the player should be fined. Kids are watching these games also.
    If a player has a good natured celebration with a short duration ie spiking the football that is and should be OK.

Rookie
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 4 2003, 08:30 PM
    If you wanna be a performer, Join the Screen Actors Guild

If you wanna be a football player, PLAY FOOTBALL ... and save the clown act for the Ringling Bros. Circus
    AMEN GJ&H. NUFF' SAID!

Hall Of Fame
    So...Tell me again what is positive about a throat-slash gesture?

I also seriously doubt Rolle got fined for just high-fiving a teammate and am skeptical about relying solely on his testimony of the incident.

End-zone dancing and celebrating every first down, while not my cup of tea, is at least not violent. Rules are rules - if Rolle doesn't like it he should start his own football league where throat slashes and other violent gestures are OK. This is America - what is stopping him? Otherwise, if you don't like paying fines, stop making the throat slash gesture!!! This isn't rocket science, nor some giant conspiracy, Samari.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Total complete utter Bull****

Rolle thought he made a great interception and he reacted!! Let these guys friggin play ball!!! He should not have been fined......dam the NFL is scary today...a player can make a play but you have to watch and make sure that he is not fined!!!!

utter stupidity.