Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bust of the 2004 Draft

Banned
    So who are your early front-runners for Bust of the 2004 Draft?

CHOOSE ONE

Also, you can only name a likely 1st Rounder

Here's mine .....

CB Chris Gamble

GAMBLE
    ... Short & Sweet, Grossly Over-Rated ... not impressed with his coverage ability and not impressed with his tackling skills ... If we draft this player in the 1st Round, you just might see a grown man cry

Who's next?

Bitter
    Fitzgerald and Winslow

Banned
    i agree on gamble...i was high on him before this year...he gets attention because he has played both sides of the ball...but he isn't nearly polished on either side...i think it will take him years to be a good nfl corner...if ever

i havn't really been studying the draft yet, so im not sure where anyone is expected to go, so im not sure who would be considered a bust...after the jets season is over though im sure ill have an opinion

Banned
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Dec 4 2003, 08:22 PM
    Fitzgerald

The Guy is only the best WR to enter the draft since Randy Moss ... maybe since Jerry Rice

Chris Gamble as well, gosh I thought Id be one of the only ones to bring him up.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I can't believe some Patsie flamer hasn't listed Robertson, yet.

Hick must have had to work overtime at McDonald's.

Rookie
    Chris Perry. Michigan running backs are like PENN STATE running backs

Practice Squad
    Hey Bob it's next years draft GJ&H is talking about...... We already know that Dtrain is this years bust .....JK

Veteran
    Will Smith - Ohio State

Is an undersized defensive end, who doesn't display much speed

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Rod Davis, shades of EJ Henderson. just not enough football speed to warrent high selection

ps- Ham OT#1 Andrews or Gallery? i say Andrews and was the 7 i wrote down yesterday.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Heck67@Dec 4 2003, 08:54 PM
    Hey Bob it's next years draft GJ&H is talking about...... We already know that Dtrain is this years bust .....JK
    My bad.

Banned
    Kevin Jones. Oh sure, he might be an "ok" back for a few years, but considering how high I've seen this guy projected on some mocks, along with what I suspect to be a limited career if he keeps trying to put power moves on everyone, he might be a bust (not for being bad, but for not living up to expectations).

Bitter
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Dec 4 2003, 07:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Dec 4 2003, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk@Dec 4 2003, 08:22 PM
    Fitzgerald

The Guy is only the best WR to enter the draft since Randy Moss ... maybe since Jerry Rice [/b][/quote]
    I know, I was just busting your chops. I realize you want to have his children.

All League
    I actually agree with Jared. Jones will be a bust because his old man is being a meddling parent. I can see it now the Patsies draft him. Pops sticks his nose into where its not wanted. The kid holds out. Shows up in Foxboro on week 3 of the season out of shape. Sees his first action week 5. Week 7 blows a tire with a hamstring injury. Returns on week 13 and gets limited reps for the remainder of the year. Totals... 87 carries 263 yards 12 receptions 60 yards 4 TDs 5 lost fumbles

Ahhhh a slice of heaven

All League
    Bust may be an extreme term for this guy, but DJ Williams I think is vastly overrated. I have said all year that, when you watch Miami football, their defense has playmakers. Sean Taylor is a playmaker. Jonathan Vilma is a playmaker, Vince Wilfork is a playmaker. Two of those guys I would love as Jets, not Wilfork (too many other needs).

I don&#39;t see that same playmaking ability in DJ Williams.

All League
    Rashun Woods..

I think a couple of the WRs are very overrated. He&#39;s the most overrated of the bunch

All League
    Originally posted by newjakecity@Dec 4 2003, 10:00 PM
    Bust may be an extreme term for this guy, but DJ Williams I think is vastly overrated. I have said all year that, when you watch Miami football, their defense has playmakers. Sean Taylor is a playmaker. Jonathan Vilma is a playmaker, Vince Wilfork is a playmaker. Two of those guys I would love as Jets, not Wilfork (too many other needs).

I don&#39;t see that same playmaking ability in DJ Williams.
    Jake I&#39;m really leary about Vilma....He small by OLB standards and he&#39;s actually an MLB. 211 lbs and playing in the middle in the NFL sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Maybe he has a non-stop motor but do you think that will last more than a few seasons in the NFL

Waterboy
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Dec 4 2003, 08:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Dec 4 2003, 08:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk@Dec 4 2003, 08:22 PM
    Fitzgerald

The Guy is only the best WR to enter the draft since Randy Moss ... maybe since Jerry Rice [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s also what they said about Marcus Robinson, and Koren Robinson. In fact lets go back and look at some of the "top" WR&#39;s of prior draft classes starting in 1993:

1st WR picked from class

1993-C Conway as the #7 overall, yes you know who I mean. 2nd pick was Sean Dawkins fron Cal. Not even in the NFL now if I am not mistaken. McDuffie was the 3rd in an otherwise weak year for WR.

1994-Charles Johnson was the 1st WR picked at #17 by the Steelers. Does he play in the NFL anymore?? 2nd was J Morton who has had a mediocre career at best. 3rd was Thomas Lewis by the Giants. Who??&#33;&#33; 1st and only decent WR from this class was I Bruce in the 2nd round.

1995-M Westbrook at #4 overall by the Skins. He was to be a stud. Galloway was the 2nd WR from that class and he turned out nice, not great. A Freeman was arguably the best NFL receiver from his class and he went in the 3rd round.

1996-The infamous Key Johnson. Good career not great. 2nd WR picked in that draft was T Glenn. He&#39;s been Crap. Harrison was a late 1st rounder as was Moulds. Toomer went in the 2nd and T Owens went in the 3rd. Joe Horn went in the 5th. How ironic that the best receivers in that draft were late 1st to 3rd round picksand evcen 5th round. And in hindsight this was a stacked draft.

1997-I Hilliard at #7 overall. Nice #2 WR but not great by any stretch. Yatil Green and Reidel Anthony were the next picks at WR respectively. R Carruth was a late 1st rounder. D Mason was the best receiver in this class and he went 4th.

1998-Dyson was the 1st but we all know and knew Moss was the best of the draft. However Hines Ward was the last pick of the 3rd round. He went behind names like Marcus Nash, Jerome Pathon, Jaquez Green, P Johnson, G Crowell, Tony Simmons, J Jurevicous, and M Rihks.

1999-T Holt was the 1st WR picked. For once the NFL teams got it right. Boston was 2nd. This was the 1st year that the NFL for the most part drafted the WR&#39;s in the order of their productivity in the NFL up to this year. 1 notable: Tai Streets went in the 6th round of this year.

2000-Warrick was 1st. Having a decent year this year but for the most part he is a bust. Burress was 2nd and had shown alot of potential last year but suddenly went back to his underachieving this year. Bets WR&#39;s of this draft?? L Coles and D Jackson both of whom went in the 3rd round.

2001-D Terrell and K Robinson were the 1st 2 WR&#39;s picked. Followed by R Gardner and S Moss. Moss is the only one who is starting to live up to the hype. Best WR from this draft was C Johnson in the 2nd round. C Chambers was also taken in the 2nd. Johnson and Chambers are the best so far of this crops WR&#39;s.

2002/2003-I won&#39;t touch these drafts because it is unfair to grade a WR until he has been in the league at least 3 years.

So GJ&H, what does all this ridiculous drivel above mean you ask? Simple. It means that just about 99% of the time the WR that is projected by NFL scouts, reporters, and college coaches to be the best WR of the class is actually not even close. In fact they have been so far off in their projections that the majority of the great WR&#39;s come in the 2nd and 3rd round. Pretty damned astounding if you ask me. So, if you tell me Fitzgerald is the next Moss, I&#39;ll tell you that Koren Robinson/I Hillard/C Conway/Charles Johnson/M Westbrook/D Terrell/K Dyson/Key Johnson were all shoe ins to be the next best WR since Rice. Koren Robinson most notably had tons of comparisons to T Owens at the time. Hell, according to his draft position, T Owens wasn&#39;t supposed to be T Owens.

Banned
    Guys, if you notice ... I edited the initial post and removed Roethlisberger

As I said earlier, maybe I saw him on a bad day ... I would watch tonite and keep an open mind

I only saw the first half, but I was far more impressed than the first time I saw this young man

I can no-longer justify projecting this kid as a bust

Banned
    Boozer, I don&#39;t know who said what about those WR&#39;s, but I can assure you ... I have never labled anyone the best WR since Jerry Rice

Well, there was ONE GUY I really loved in the draft ... thought he had the size and skills to be special ... by special I mean an all-timer ... and that was Randy Moss

That&#39;s the only Guy I felt that strongly about ... and I feel even more strongly about Fitzgerald, cause he has all of the measurables/skills I look for, and unlike Randy he is a model citizen to boot

This kid is one of my all-time favorite prospects ... right there with Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, and a handfull of others

Again, not my favorite WR {or player} in THIS DRAFT ... but one of my favorite players in ANY DRAFT