Thread: The Bills were and are better than us

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Stop living in fantasy land. The Jets are not a good team. They were a good team in 2001 and 2002. They are not a good team this year.

Be fair and reasonable, sit down and compare The Jets talent level to other teams. The Jets are in the bottom 20's when it comes to talent. It's a fact and the record supports that.

That's why, They are 5 and 8. For the most part, They have been competitive and have been in alot of games that were decided by 7 points ot less. They have 3 11 point losses to Dallas, Miami and Buffalo. All 3 of those teams are better than we are.

The Jets on offense don't scare anybody, They have only weapon in the passing game. Noone is scared of Becht, Swayne, Conway, Carter etc........... I can cover those guys. I'm a pretty good athlete.

The Jets defense is weak. The Jets are slow and do not have good players especially at LB and in the secondary. They have a few decent quality NFL players but no star players.

This defense doesn't have Antoine Winfield,Nate Clements, Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy etc

The Jets are right where they should be. They are good enough to compete with any team but they are not good enough to win the majority of their games with this talent roster. IT"S THAT SIMPLE.

Maybe, The Jets are better on offense and defense if Pennington, John Abraham and Josh Evans had played the full season. MAYBE....Maybe The Jets passing attack is a tad bit better if Chrebet was still playing. MAYBE

I study and analyze every team. I know what The Jets have and what they don't have. To act like this team should have been a superbowl contender this year is FOOLISH. They are just not that good. When they lost their best player, I knew and predicted that this team would be hard pressed with their schedule to win 6 damn games. Even with Pennington, The Jets had lost Coles, their best weapon and they got weaker on special teams and on the interior of their offensive line.

The Jets went out and drafted DeWayne Robertson to improve this teams run defense. I don't want to call him a full fledged BUST because he is just a 21 year old rookie but you can call him a MINI BUST at this point because he has had NO IMPACT whatsoever. NONE! If anything, The Jets are worse against the run.

The Jets are right where they should be. The Jets have alot of work to do in the offseason to get better. They need alot. They can't just take the salary cap mentality of getting players that are just good enough to get by with. That stuff doesn't work, They need some impact players on both sides of the ball and with our cap issues, It's going to be hard to do that through free agency. That stuff is going to have to be addressed in the draft. Changes are going to have to be made to the roster and coaching staff.

What irks Jets fans the most is watching The Patriots win another superbowl, which they will do with a guy who could have been our head coach and watching another one of our former coaches in Parcells lead Dallas to a playoff berth while we are at home licking our wounds. Those teams and alot of other teams are BETTER than we are right now. FACE IT.

All that's left for Jet fans is the possibility of a huge game with our biggest rival, The Dolphins at the end of the season. That's it.

2004 will be a make or break year for The Jets.

Banned
    2004 make or break...so if we dont do good things in 2004 the jets will suck for many years? I dont think so...to be honest and I know this is going to sound horrific...

2004 will be a REBUILDING year. I think they will let some vets go and start with completely new guys...no more FA spare parts. I think you use the draft and some undrafted FA's to rebuild the jet D. Next year might be a learning year for the D and the new DC...but if we are to get better we must rebuild. C Penn is the future of the O....but the D future is still out there....we need an impact MLB..someone who can anchor the middle...we need LBS that have the speed to shut down runs to the outside...we need solid tacklers..I think Hobson is a good start but we need more.

Our D is horrible but i dont look at 2004 as make or break...I see it as a new beginning.

LL

All League
    YoungJets, I agree with most of your comments, except that DeWayne Robertson is a mini-bust. Like you said he is 21 years old and is a rookie who was thrown into the fire. It is foolish to think he would have an impact this early, especially at the defensive tackle position. That is one position which always takes time to adjust to the system and have a positive impact. Now he didnt do what a lot of people expected from a fourth pick, but that was foolish to think he would. Let this kid grow, all I heard about him from college were good things, so he will be fine.
    He is not the reason why they suck against the run, because frankly he seems to be doing his job, it is just that the linebackers cannot tackle. You see what happens when a linebacker who can tackle gets in there in Victor Hobson. G

Give him a year and some linebackers, and then bring up the bust talk.

"The Jets went out and drafted DeWayne Robertson to improve this teams run defense. I don't want to call him a full fledged BUST because he is just a 21 year old rookie but you can call him a MINI BUST at this point because he has had NO IMPACT whatsoever. NONE! If anything, The Jets are worse against the run". here is a player that came in the league with more hype than DR and this what is being written about him. Yet has been in the league for four years now with the same decent defensive line coach. hE IS A VERY YOUNG PLAYER LETS SEE WITH A NEW line coach and better off season conditioning and more talent around him on the progress he makes next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5030/

The news out of Cleveland has been almost entirely bad this season, and all the gloom and doom has obscured the fact that Browns defensive end Courtney Brown quietly has shed his label of draft-day bust. Brown, the No. 1 overall pick in 2000, isn't piling up numbers that would equate into a full-fledged breakthrough season, but his production has been encouraging for a player who entering this year had played and started in just 32 of a possible 48 games.

After missing almost six full games last year with a pair of injuries, and undergoing the risky microfracture knee surgery in December -- which is designed to stimulate new cartilage growth -- Brown deserves some consideration for Comeback Player of the Year. In starting all 12 of Cleveland's games this season, Brown has racked up a career-high and team-leading six sacks and leads the Browns in quarterback pressures (25), quarterback hits (13) and forced fumbles (four). He also has 55 total tackles, four tackles for loss and one fumble recovery.

Brown's play was often described as too mechanical and robotic in his first three seasons in Cleveland, but he's smoother and more athletic this season, and he's consistently finding the ballcarrier. A key adjustment in his game was made by new Browns defensive line coach Andre Patterson.

"He's one the best run-playing defensive ends around, and his pass rush is coming a long way,'' Patterson said this week. "It's just that he rushed the passer like most college ends. They just get wide and try to run around the guy. And when you're tall like Courtney, that's hard to do in the NFL. Only guys like Dwight Freeney and Jevon Kearse have the speed to do that.''

Patterson has Brown making contact with the opposing tackle after three yards, rather than the six or seven that occurred when he was lined up too wide. "I got him to close the distance on the tackle as quick as possible,'' Patterson said. "He wants to get on top of him as quickly as he can and then work his swim move or use his physicality. He's got long arms, and he's powerful. Before, he was just getting ridden off the quarterback, and because his steps were off, it made him look mechanical. But he's not. He's a really fluid athlete.''

Even Brown's confidence has started to return to something resembling his dominate Penn State days. "When I first got here, he was coming off the injury and being hurt every year and hearing all the things about himself, so yeah, his confidence was a little bit down,'' Patterson said. "But it's back up there, and he knows he's having a good year. I think if you ask any team we've played, he's the first guy on our defense that they would mention.''

All Pro
    The only reason this is even a conversation,is because of Chad Pennington.That just go to show what type of Job this coaching staff is doing.

Veteran
    The Jets went out and drafted DeWayne Robertson to improve this teams run defense. I don't want to call him a full fledged BUST because he is just a 21 year old rookie but you can call him a MINI BUST at this point because he has had NO IMPACT whatsoever. NONE! If anything, The Jets are worse against the run.

Totally agree here, YoungJetsFan. I thought that it was a stupid move then (giving up 3 picks to move up and acquire Robertson) and I think that it was a stupid move now. You don't give up 3 draft picks for a player to develop in the next two seasons. Robertson IS a "mini-bust", as you say. He had zero tackles in Buffalo. Zero!! No excuse!! Even a mediocre rookie may get ONE tackle. This kid needs to become an IMPACT player, one who is of the best at his position in the league, one who MAKES PLAYS and AFFECTS the outcome of games. Anything less will not justify the price that the Jets paid for him. Robertson cannot become a "servicable" or "decent" NFL DT (a la Marvin Jones early in his career at MLB). Based on what NY paid to acquire Robertson this will not be enough. It is so frustrating to realize that NY could have had Barnett, Boldin, Klecko, AND Hobson. Robertson may develop, but the price does not justify much wait. Too many NFL rookies have swift impact in today's NFL, and the best teams draft accordingly.

All League
    NOFX, the point you make about Boldin, Klecko, etc. are not Robertson's fault. Klecko is doing an outstanding job because he has a great coaching staff, who knows how to get the best out of his players. Robertson was thrown into the fire more than Klecko considering he was supposed to be "the guy." Although I wish he would have done a little more, I still have faith he will do the job. Klecko is a typical Belichik guy who probably wouldnt have done well with Herms staff. I hate to bring it up, but Sapp didnt turn heads his first either.

Veteran
    You're right. It's not the kid's fault. It's Bradway's. He gave up too much for one player, IMO.

Banned
    Originally posted by NOFX@Dec 8 2003, 10:51 PM
    Totally agree here, YoungJetsFan. I thought that it was a stupid move then (giving up 3 picks to move up and acquire Robertson) and I think that it was a stupid move now. You don't give up 3 draft picks for a player to develop in the next two seasons. ... It is so frustrating to realize that NY could have had Barnett, Boldin, Klecko, AND Hobson. Robertson may develop, but the price does not justify much wait.
    Finally you understand what Pats fans have been saying since April.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You can't label DeWayne Robertson a bust yet because you never know how good, he could turn out to be but he hasn't had a good rookie season, He's had a few decent moments but that's about it.

The night of the draft everybody was pegging this player to be some dominating monster who would swallow up backs in the backfield. DR barely even registers a tackle in every game. He's had very little impact this season. You guys can deny it but it's the truth.

Veteran
    Totally agree here, YoungJetsFan. I thought that it was a stupid move then (giving up 3 picks to move up and acquire Robertson) and I think that it was a stupid move now. You don't give up 3 draft picks for a player to develop in the next two seasons. ... It is so frustrating to realize that NY could have had Barnett, Boldin, Klecko, AND Hobson. Robertson may develop, but the price does not justify much wait.

Finally you understand what Pats fans have been saying since April.

I said it back in April and early in the season as well. I've understood all along.

Rookie
    For one thing defense wins championships
    and jets don't have one.
    Jets need a new defensive scheme
    The pats don't have allstars on each apsect of the defense and they had a ton of injurys it was the scheme.
    work with what you have!!!!!!!
    and ted can't stop a pop warners team offense.
    As for d. robinson you really can not judge a rookie untill the end of his 3rd season the you can label him a bust or a stud
    it took satana and chad at there 3rd year.
    give him time.
    Bottom line is fire ted, get some linebackers and one more good wide reciever.

All League
    [Totally agree here, YoungJetsFan. I thought that it was a stupid move then (giving up 3 picks to move up and acquire Robertson) and I think that it was a stupid move now. You don't give up 3 draft picks for a player to develop in the next two seasons]

I also agree. When you give up that many draft choices for this guy, it is a bust unless the impact is immediate. You can't compare the time element with Sapp as he wasn't traded up for nor were 3 draft choices given for him. The kid is presently a bust and this brainless coaching staff probraly had alot to do with it.

Hall Of Fame
    I said this about D-Rob before the draft, during the draft, immediatey after the draft and throughout this season and got KILLED for it on this site.

YJF - YOU get props, you recognized that the 2003 Jets were going to struggle even before Chad went down. I said it then and I'll say it now:

Chad getting hurt is the best thing to ever happen to Terry Bradway. Seriously, he had the worst offseason a GM could possibly have and he is largely getting a free pass because all people are focusing on is that Chad got hurt. If Chad had stayed healthy and the Jets still struggled (which I think would have happned and said as much during the summer) all of the ire would have been focused on Bradway...now, he is getting a free ride (from the media).