Thread: Who is in line for the Atlanta job?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Romeo Crennel, I heard, has contacts in Atlanta...The NFL has come out this week & told all teams that may have a coaching vacancy not to forget about the minority hiring practice when replacing a coach..Crennel is a great defensive mind, with Micahel Vick able to carry the offense the way he does Crennel may be the right guy for the Falcons...

Anyone heard anything definitive?

All Pro
    You can be certain no Teddy Cotrell rumors will be surfacing anytime soon. :o

Veteran
    Don't you find it funny how we were all worried in the off season that Teddy would fine a HC job somewhere. Now, we're worried that Woody won't kick him out.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Dec 10 2003, 03:14 PM
    Don't you find it funny how we were all worried in the off season that Teddy would fine a HC job somewhere. Now, we're worried that Woody won't kick him out.
    Do U think they will let Teddy "ride out the next season" or do U think it will be more like "There, there, there Teddy, there's the door"! :lol: :lol:

All Pro
    Don't forget about Deion :lol:

All League
    There is a part of me that thinks he is gone, and there is a part of me that thinks he will be retained.

While the defenses overall rankings have been poor for three seasons, I think they manage to be middle of the field in a very important area... points allowed.
    The defense does not win games, but they don't let so many points be scored that the game is lost either.
    They tend to be handled every week in that the opposition is allowed to stay on the field somewhere in excess of 60 percent of the total game time, and that is not good.

Personally, I like him. I think his defense has let him down. I think his understudies have let him down. I think whoever teaches the JETS how to tackle has let EVERYONE down!!!! I have seen players in positions to make tackles, and just not do it. I am not certain this is his fault, but blame in the NFL usually goes up hill, not down.

I would hate to see him let go, but I could not deny the reasonings for which this decision might be made. Whatever positives the stats might show also show one or two major negatives... we are the LAST ranked defense in the league, and we HAVE BEEN either LAST or two spots or so away from last EVERY season Teddy has coached the defense.

That is big... its not even like we are around the middle of the road, or even in the late teens or early twenties... we are last and have been either last or close to last for the past three years, all during Teddy's watch. Might be time for Herm to make his first enemy in the coaching ranks... hate to do it, but...
    it looks like it needs to be done.

Hate to point this out, but... even Hackett has an excuse and gets a pass until next season. His offense has shown more glimmers than Ted's defense... and that is truly sad.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Dec 10 2003, 02:14 PM
    Worried, no way, I was disappointed when he didn't get that job. I was all for Teddy when he first came but it became quite obvious early on that for some reason or another he just can't get the job done here.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

one thing in Teddys defense (no pun intended)...no-one knows how to tackle..is that his fault? If so, be gone TC...but like in school, if a teacher can't get a student to learn you don't fire the teacher...

i don't know what the hell i just said but if the guys can't learn to tackle they are in the wrong profession

All League
    Well we will have the usual cavalcade of suspects doing the Dirtybird through Arthur Blanks Office. But first Atlanta will hire a GM. Now that dance ought to keep the Sportstalk Hosts busy for a week....at least !

BTW let me add...is it me or do football fans have an insatiable desire for the macabre ? :blink:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Hmmm...Since Herm really wanted Woodbury to make it one can
    only Wonder what goes through his mind at the thought of Mike
    Vick as his QB..Stranger things have happened especially to the
    J-E-T-S,jets jets jets...

Veteran
    Originally posted by savage69@Dec 10 2003, 04:06 PM
    ya i am sure vick is thrilled with the prospect

Rookie
    Originally posted by jetfan13@Dec 10 2003, 02:53 PM
    one thing in Teddys defense (no pun intended)...no-one knows how to tackle..is that his fault? If so, be gone TC...but like in school, if a teacher can't get a student to learn you don't fire the teacher...

i don't know what the hell i just said but if the guys can't learn to tackle they are in the wrong profession
    I agree with this somewhat. Teddy does have his guys in position to make plays and the guys don't tackle. On the other hand his defense does not blitz and is not aggressive to attack at the point.

Granted he is not doing the tackling, but if we need players to do that then go get them and sit or trade players that won't.

Here is an idea. Change the defensive scheme to fit the players we have. Play to their strengths.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by southernjet+Dec 10 2003, 03:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (southernjet @ Dec 10 2003, 03:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--savage69@Dec 10 2003, 04:06 PM
    ya i am sure vick is thrilled with the prospect [/b][/quote]
    Why SJ don&#39;t you read the Boards?? Any Team would be overjoyed
    to have Herm"SB Bound"Edwards as their HC..I bet Herm would even
    take Teddy and Hackett to complete the Trifecta..Vick would be pleased
    as Punch with Paul"DrawPlay" Hackett as his OC&#33;&#33; :lol:

Veteran
    Originally posted by Frank Bongi@Dec 10 2003, 04:24 PM

Here is an idea. Change the defensive scheme to fit the players we have. Play to their strengths.
    gee why didnt we think of that

All League
    Dennis Green would seem to be the perfect fit in Atlanta. He has coached great offensive talent before. His former agent is the defacto GM in Atlanta. He is a minority in a city with a very strong black middle and upper class. The only thing that keeps Green from being a shoe -in is the fact that Denny "wants to buy the Groceries", and from what I&#39;ve heard, the Falcons are commited to having a GM. Denny might not want to work with a GM again. If he&#39;s willing though, its his job for the asking.

I&#39;m pretty much convinced that Romeo will be a HC next year, if he wants it, but I don&#39;t think Atlanta is the likely place until Green walks away from the job.