Thread: Canadian Posters

All Pro
    1. What the hell is Boxing Day????
    2. CFL - What's up with the 1 pt award when it comes to missing FGs or punts in the endzone? if I even have that right.
    3. What's the word on your new prime minister?

All League
    Let me field the first one there, Canada.

Boxing Day is the best day. It's the day after xmas, you don't work, you don't have the pressure of getting up early for the kids, you don't have to prepare a huge meal and deal with the in-laws. You basically stay at home, drink, be merry, play with your kid's new xbox or watch sport or the Bond movie on the telly.

I, however, this year have to work due to you heathens in the US! Angry First time ever I have to work Boxing Day.

Btw, it's called Boxing Day as I believe it came from Victorian times about servants taking out the boxes after xmas. Or something like that.

All Pro
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Dec 18 2003, 08:42 AM
    Let me field the first one there, Canada.

Boxing Day is the best day. It's the day after xmas, you don't work, you don't have the pressure of getting up early for the kids, you don't have to prepare a huge meal and deal with the in-laws. You basically stay at home, drink, be merry, play with your kid's new xbox or watch sport or the Bond movie on the telly.

...and you do it all while eating left-over turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey dessert, turkey coffee, etc, etc...

I LOVE boxing day. It's like Christmas, without the headaches. A time to relax and enjoy spending time with the people you really care about...instead of all those distant aunties and second-cousins twice removed that you have to deal with on the big day itself!

By the way, ScottishJet - love the avatar. Can't wait 'till Christmas day to get the latest DC Thompson book, but can't remember if it's Oor Wullie or the Broons this year.

Guns is bang on with the Boxing Day explanation. You guys should tag along with this one. The Boxing Day tradition began in Britain possibly as early as in the Middle Ages; with regards to its origin, there are two main schools of thought. Some historians maintain that it began as a holiday tradition where house servants, who always had to work on Christmas days, were rewarded the day after. Their employers would put gifts such as food, clothing, or money in “Christmas boxes,” which the servants would then take with them as they departed for family visits. Others say that Boxing Day is so named because churches collected money for the poor in wooden boxes and usually opened them to hand out alms on the day after Christmas. Today, Boxing Day is celebrated in most of the other English-speaking countries that include Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the United States being a notable exception.

It's a one pointer if it goes through the endzone. This gives the kicking game a bit of flair. I prefer NFL but coach up here so have to live with some of these rules. Some I like, some I don't. For instance I don't like the "free catch' on punts; up here the kicking team must leave a five yard halo for the receiving player but once he gets possession he's free game - no easy out for the receiving team - a well timed, well coached punt team can be devastating. But for the single point through the end zone; think of what this does to teams with a strong legged kicker, he can't just keep giving his team touchbacks because it will cost the team points every time it goes through the end zone (even if it's on a bounce). And I've had games decided by one point, just think what a strong punter can do for you. It's like the three downs issue, it just keeps the game different...But I still love my Jets football first...

Ah yes, Mr. Martin. As a member of the Canadian Army (and an officer to boot) I should reserve judgment. If you're at the game Saturday I'd be happy to expound on my points. Suffice to say that he is reported as a very pro-USA PM. This bodes well for the people in my business as most of us tend to lean that way. Mr. Martin was very quick to congratulate the US President on the capturing of Saddam, and immediately asked for a role in the ongoing missions in that area. I hope he'll be able to mend some of the fences his predecessor destroyed and work closely with the US.

All Pro
    Thanks for the explanations guys.

Let me be the first American to say that I am in FULL SUPPORT of Boxing Day and this country needs to look into instituting this fine tradition shared by our English speaking brothers and sisters. I assume we don't have it because 225+ years ago we had some crazy idea of distancing ourselves from the British Commonwealth. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> :lol: Of all the traditions we didn't bring with our colonial roots, not having that is a killer. Sounds like a very good thing, a time to relax, unwind and regroup after what is always a hectic Christmas week. Where do I sign up? Of course with my job, even if we ahd Boxing Day it would just be another holiday in which I would have to work.

Thaks again guys.

All League
    Originally posted by mrcoops@Dec 18 2003, 09:25 AM

By the way, ScottishJet - love the avatar. Can't wait 'till Christmas day to get the latest DC Thompson book, but can't remember if it's Oor Wullie or the Broons this year.
    I'm not sure what it is. My aunt has been sending me The Broons and Oor Wullie for about 27 years now and I still expect to get one this year. Lastyear I think it was a collection of wartime comics that the Sunday Post printed.

Time to start the movement of bringing Boxing Day to the US!!!

I want my Boxing Day!!!

All Pro
    Originally posted by ScottishJet+Dec 18 2003, 11:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ScottishJet @ Dec 18 2003, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mrcoops@Dec 18 2003, 09:25 AM

By the way, ScottishJet - love the avatar. Can&#39;t wait &#39;till Christmas day to get the latest DC Thompson book, but can&#39;t remember if it&#39;s Oor Wullie or the Broons this year.
    I&#39;m not sure what it is. My aunt has been sending me The Broons and Oor Wullie for about 27 years now and I still expect to get one this year. Lastyear I think it was a collection of wartime comics that the Sunday Post printed.

Time to start the movement of bringing Boxing Day to the US&#33;&#33;&#33;

I want my Boxing Day&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s a great idea.

I wonder what the best way to petition for a new holiday would be?

We must start a Boxing Day movement in this country&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#3 3;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#3 3;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

what? they dont have boxing day in the U.S.?

wow, im surprised

Kangaroo F*cker
    Guns the best thing about Boxing Day is when I was growing up in Australia it was the summer time&#33; You could go to the beach, have a BBQ or go to the cricket. Those were good times.

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by CdnJETSFan@Dec 18 2003, 09:29 AM
    Mr. Martin was very quick to congratulate the US President on the capturing of Saddam, and immediately asked for a role in the ongoing missions in that area. I hope he&#39;ll be able to mend some of the fences his predecessor destroyed and work closely with the US.
    I&#39;m not totally in the loop about Martin, but I like what I see so far. Adding to what you&#39;ve said, he&#39;ll be beefing up our military (disrespected and ignored by his predecessor) ... hopefully it won&#39;t be too late. On Wednesday (the 100th anniversary of the Wright brothers&#39; first flight), Ottawa oficially put out a request for tender on the replacement of the aging Sea King fleet. This was initiated pre-Chretien, but he (of infinite wisdom) cancelled the deal and hasn&#39;t followed up on it during his 10 yr term. As an aside, I was actually hoping that Manley would put up a fight during the leadership race. I don&#39;t formally support any party, but I liked what he has done so far. However, he could see the writing on the wall and got out early. Too bad, he was a good one.

As for Boxing Day, it&#39;s all good.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Actually, Boxing Day is what the bastard English did to St. Steven&#39;s Day.

Still an extra day off would be a good thing.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Gainzo@Dec 18 2003, 01:09 PM
    Guns the best thing about Boxing Day is when I was growing up in Australia it was the summer time&#33; You could go to the beach, have a BBQ or go to the cricket. Those were good times.
    Sounds like a good time.

It&#39;s a great idea when you think of it. Unfortunately in the US we must go back to 100mph, full speed ahead immediately after Xmas so a bunch of idiots can return their gifts for cash and buy what they really want. Why anyone would dare go near a store the day after Xmas is beyond me.

All League
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Dec 18 2003, 03:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Dec 18 2003, 03:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Gainzo@Dec 18 2003, 01:09 PM
    Sounds like a good time.

It&#39;s a great idea when you think of it. Unfortunately in the US we must go back to 100mph, full speed ahead immediately after Xmas so a bunch of idiots can return their gifts for cash and buy what they really want. Why anyone would dare go near a store the day after Xmas is beyond me. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m not that against working as it will be an easy day, but I just don&#39;t want to do it with a hangover. That&#39;s all.

To misquote Mel Gibson, "GIVE ME BACK MY BOXING DAY&#33;"

and I thought Boxing Day was a day Don King came up with to promote the sport...You learn something everyday.

All League
    At home, Boxing Day is also Leftovers Day.
    Anybody see South Park last night? Turns out the new Canadian PM was actually Saddam......