Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennington on Hackett

JetsInsider.com Legend
    ``To even discuss it is absurd,'' Pennington said.

Pennington added it's ``annoying'' to hear Hackett being criticized, because he believes blame for the Jets scoring only two offensive touchdowns in the last three games should fall on the players.

``Once the play leaves the booth it's out of his control,'' Pennington said. ``It's up to us as players to get things done. But that's the nature of the business and he's been in this business way too long to let that affect him, and I've been playing quarterback way too long to let that affect me. I just disagree with the overall opinion.''

Asked how he'd feel if Hackett was replaced after the season, Pennington said, ``I don't think that's going to be the case, so I don't worry about it. We've got a great relationship. We've got some good things going. We had a great season last year and we were starting to built on our success this year and hit a little lull. Other than that, things are looking pretty good to me.''

Pennington's five-interception game against the Patriots has led to theories defenses are catching up to him after such a fine start to his career.

``I feel like Paul and I have done a really good job staying on the same page and working with each other,'' Pennington said. ``Over the past two years we've been pretty successful. I look for good things to come in the future, because we're just getting better and better.

``Right now we're going through one of those seasons.''

Pennington said he doesn't understand why Hackett is receiving so much heat.

``I feel like our offense was doing really well and it hit kind of a lull in Buffalo (a 17-6 loss), a snowstorm in the Pittsburgh game (a 6-0 win) and Saturday night (a 21-16 loss to the Patriots), when we didn't turn the ball over, we moved the football and we scored.

``It has nothing to do with the play calling or coach Hackett. It has to do with the quarterback executing the play.''

I appreciate Chad diving on top of the handgrenade...but HACKETT sucks!!! He must be fired!!! If Chad can do this well WITH Hackett, just imagine what he could do with a real O.C.!!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Opey should stop protecting these dumbsketeers.

All Pro
    If the Q/B is comfortable with the Off Coord., then his words have to carry a lot of weight. Besides, 2 or 3 of those Ints could have been prevented with a bit of help from the W/R, such as running a decent pattern (Harrison int.) or not using allegator arms (2nd int.)

All League
    what do you expect him to say??? he never bad mouths anyone, only himself!

All League
    Originally posted by spjets@Dec 24 2003, 09:33 AM
    what do you expect him to say??? he never bad mouths anyone, only himself!
    Isn't that what a LEADER of men is supposed to do?!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by THE SWORDFISH@Dec 24 2003, 09:30 AM
    no Y in OPIE bubba...if you re gonna demean your own leader at least spell it right

All Pro
    How about giving Hacket some credit when things have gone well. Same goes for everybody on this satff. This board is very hipocritical in that regard.

Veteran
    This is the sad truth........

If Herm stays, Hackett stays, and Cotrell is gone (which seems like the likely scenario) we will be a very competitive playoff team. When it comes to the playoffs, our coaching staff will NEVER outcoach anybody and the playoffs are where our dreams will die a slow , painful, agonizing death.

Merry Christmas.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by jetfan13@Dec 24 2003, 10:11 AM

no Y in OPIE bubba...if you re gonna demean your own leader at least spell it right

I think Opie needs to concentrate a little bit more on his own onfield performance rather than sticking his neck out for his OC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by LesterLyles@Dec 24 2003, 09:21 AM
    How about giving Hacket some credit when things have gone well. Same goes for everybody on this satff. This board is very hipocritical in that regard.
    Herm should learn a lesson from his QB and see what a Leader
    does...Well maybe when he gets his Chicken Wings in a Row???

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Dec 24 2003, 10:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Dec 24 2003, 10:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13@Dec 24 2003, 10:11 AM

I think Opie needs to concentrate a little bit more on his own onfield performance rather than sticking his neck out for his OC. [/b][/quote]
    I think nobody asked you...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by jetfan13+Dec 24 2003, 02:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetfan13 @ Dec 24 2003, 02:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--THE SWORDFISH@Dec 24 2003, 09:30 AM
    no Y in OPIE bubba...if you re gonna demean your own leader at least spell it right [/b][/quote]
    IE is for females. Not demeaning, He could be the best thing since sliced bread. Too bad he can&#39;t distance himself from these three dopes.

All Pro
    Originally posted by savage69+Dec 24 2003, 10:33 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (savage69 @ Dec 24 2003, 10:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--LesterLyles@Dec 24 2003, 09:21 AM
    does...Well maybe when he gets his Chicken Wings in a Row??? [/b][/quote]
    Herm never bashes players or coaches in public. The only one I ever heard him "tweak" was Pennington and that was ver constructive, and I swear this board STILL thinks b/c of some simple comments, Herm wanted Penny to fail. Ridiculous stuff&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I really don&#39;t have a problem with Paul Hackett&#39;s offensive design. It&#39;s not a bad scheme actually. I also know that Hackett is very good with QB&#39;s.

I do have an issue with some of Paul&#39;s play calling. Paul has always had game management issues. I keep thinking back to his playoff performance with KC in what was one of the worst runned 2 minute offenses in history.

In the west coast offense, You are almost always going to see the 2nd and long running play to set up a 3rd and short play.

The Jets talent on offense especially in the passing game is very very limited. The Jets need a few big physical targets in the passing game. Players who are going to go over the middle, take the hits and make the big catch.

This offense missed Coles this season and if The Jets were going to retain one player. It should have been him. Pennington misses him. Trust me. The Jets passing game took a hit when Coles was let go to Washington. Coles and Moss would have made quite an impressive tandem at WR for the next 5 to 10 years.

I admire the fact that Pennington is sticking up for Hackett and that Chad is admitting that the players are to blame. I don&#39;t think that Hackett is as bad as he is made out to be but I also don&#39;t think that he is a championship type coordinator. He is a middle of the road type coach. I want to see what this staff does with some talent. Hackett did a good job with last years offense when he had better horses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by LesterLyles+Dec 24 2003, 09:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LesterLyles @ Dec 24 2003, 09:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -savage69@Dec 24 2003, 10:33 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--LesterLyles
    @Dec 24 2003, 09:21 AM

does...Well maybe when he gets his Chicken Wings in a Row???
    Herm never bashes players or coaches in public. The only one I ever heard him "tweak" was Pennington and that was ver constructive, and I swear this board STILL thinks b/c of some simple comments, Herm wanted Penny to fail. Ridiculous stuff&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Not Penny to Fail Lester,but I bet he much rather would have had Tory Woodbury succeed instead...BTW can you cite one other
    Constructive type of tweak he did to "Help" any other player??
    Lets get our Chicken Wings in a Row here&#33;&#33; Hmmm I wonder if
    all the Wings are Left?? That could be the Problem&#33;&#33; :lol:

All Pro
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Dec 24 2003, 11:01 AM
    Coles and Moss would have made quite an impressive tandem at WR for the next 5 to 10 years.

Coles, Moss, Chad, John Abe. Ellis, etc.

Can&#39;t pay them all. Something would have to give.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by mbn007+Dec 24 2003, 03:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Dec 24 2003, 03:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan@Dec 24 2003, 11:01 AM
    Coles and Moss would have made quite an impressive tandem at WR for the next 5 to 10 years.

Can&#39;t pay them all. Something would have to give. [/b][/quote]
    I hate to say this but Bradway made the wrong choice when he gave Chrebet the big money and not Coles. Wayne&#39;s money should have been Coles money. It&#39;s that simple.

In The NFL, You have to keep your best players.

I can see letting Morton, Thomas, Richie Anderson and Hall go but Coles should have been back. The money that The Jets ended up wasting for Robertson, Conway and company turned out to be more than Coles got.

It&#39;s ancient history now but I know that Herman Edwards was outraged when Coles was let go. He took the company line but that&#39;s a guy he labeled as team MVP last year. The Jets didn&#39;t replace him. I know that fans say that Moss has, but Moss was going to grow into this type of player anyway. If Coles was here with him, That would have been a dynamic young duo for years to come.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by YoungJetsFan+Dec 24 2003, 10:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YoungJetsFan @ Dec 24 2003, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -mbn007@Dec 24 2003, 03:30 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan
    @Dec 24 2003, 11:01 AM

Can&#39;t pay them all. Something would have to give.
    I hate to say this but Bradway made the wrong choice when he gave Chrebet the big money and not Coles. Wayne&#39;s money should have been Coles money. It&#39;s that simple.

In The NFL, You have to keep your best players.

I can see letting Morton, Thomas, Richie Anderson and Hall go but Coles should have been back. The money that The Jets ended up wasting for Robertson, Conway and company turned out to be more than Coles got.

It&#39;s ancient history now but I know that Herman Edwards was outraged when Coles was let go. He took the company line but that&#39;s a guy he labeled as team MVP last year. The Jets didn&#39;t replace him. I know that fans say that Moss has, but Moss was going to grow into this type of player anyway. If Coles was here with him, That would have been a dynamic young duo for years to come. [/b][/quote]
    I agree Coles and Moss would have been a nice pair of aces..
    But when you say Coles should have got Wayne&#39;s Money how
    do you mean that?? Wayne only got a 6 million signing bonus?
    No way would Coles sign for that..Unless you mean add another
    4 or 5 mill on top of that?? Also Herm is known for His honesty,
    Integrity etc?? If I told a Player "You will be here as long as I
    am" I would have first checked to make sure his retention was
    feasible and 2nd I would have told Bradway if he goes I go
    being a Man of my word..Which of course Herm was just blowing
    smoke and stroking Coles... But did Bradway drop the ball with
    Coles?? Big time, should at least tendered him for a 1 and 3 pick..