Thread: In retrospect

All League
    The Jets have lost

2 games by 3

1 by 5

3 by 7

Vinny was 2-4 even though he had a QB rating of 90.3

Pennington to date is 4-5 QB rating of 79.8

Conway hasn't been the only reason that the Jets are in the position they are in but he has been horrible, of course so has the D. For the last 3 weeks teams have blitzed Pennington heavily. With no possession receiver, he has pressed to hard , and thrown a bunch of pic's 12 TD's 12 pics

If the Jets had gotten Coles signed before they tended him the silly 1 million offer. Would the game against the Fish on Sunday have some meaning?

All League
    The game against the Phish might very well have had some meaning if Coles had been retained. On paper though, Moss picked up Coles 1000 yards. Problem is, there was no one else to throw the ball to.

We have all readily acknowledged that at the very least, it was a brain fart not to place the highest tender on Coles, especially after Snyder came out and said he would not have surrendered a 1st and 2nd for Coles. Not matching the $13 million was wise, but not placing the highest tender requirement was dumb.

With Coles and Moss both on the field, I say this season turns out a little differently. Not sure the game Sunday would have alot meaning record wise, I mean, we might be fighting for 9-7 or maybe even 8-8.
    Why do I say this? WE STILL CAN NOT TACKLE AND CAN NOT STOP THE RUN!!!!!

Fact of the matter is, not losing Coles might have made a difference in the games we lost by three points, but, at the end of the day, opposing offenses would keep the offense off the field by running the ball for an average of 148 yds per game. Coles and Moss are useless if they are sitting on the sidelines.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

I don't regret having to lose Coles. He wanted all-star $ and it was and is clear he's not on that level. If he comes down with that ball in the end zone in Oakland it's a different story. He's proven since then that he's not a big-time WR who can carry a team.

All Pro
    I didn't want to tie up that kind of money in a W/R. I still feel the same way. Our big problem this season has been the underperformance by the entire defense against the run. Can't allow around 150 yards every week.

The Chiefs are struggling now against the run. If they don't fix the problem before the playoffs, they may have a quick exit. All championship teams stop, or control the run. Right now, the Jets do neither. Quicker L/B's will help, but the defensive scheme needs adjustments also.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I liked Coles..He once said he owed the Jets for giving him a Shot
    (Even though it was the 3rd rd) When other Teams passed him
    over due to the Dillards Deal! How soon he forgot!! One Good
    year and he wanted to break the Bank! Granted Bradway handled
    him badly...But the bottom line is the players go to the highest Bidder
    and people that think the Pro's give 2 craps about anything more than
    their paycheck are Dreaming!! Cause after all is said and done they
    do the same as you would if it benifit's them and their Family!!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: who cares about Coles???

Move on...thats old news...where has it gotten the Skins???
    Yeh they beat us but this 6-9 Jets team is better and playing with more heart. Where do you think the Skins will be next year??? The Jets will be far more successful since we did not spend Fort Knox for players.

Snyders move backfired even more this time than the first.

Screw the skins/Coles etc....time to move on.....old news.

All League
    Yeah... Snyder has no clue and should get a GM to make all football decisions.

He thinks tossing cash around will get him a winner. He is a business man, and should stick to business.

All Pro
    I think the defense has caused us much of our loses. They weren't good at stopping teams at 3rd down situations. They kept allowing the opponents to drive right down the field and score touchdowns very easily.

Coles is just one man and it's a team game and you can't key on one person during your offensive possessions. Sooner or later teams will adjust to that, just the way other teams started double teaming Moss and his catches have been limited since then.

All Pro
    Originally posted by MrSFJFC@Dec 25 2003, 09:00 PM
    I think the defense has caused us much of our loses. They weren't good at stopping teams at 3rd down situations. They kept allowing the opponents to drive right down the field and score touchdowns very easily.

Coles is just one man and it's a team game and you can't key on one person during your offensive possessions. Sooner or later teams will adjust to that, just the way other teams started double teaming Moss and his catches have been limited since then.
    Actually, the defense wasn't good on stopping the run on any down, not just third down.

You're right though. 1 guy wasn't going to be the difference on offence this season. It is a team game. The only exception is at Q/B, where there is an adjustment needed from 1 guy to the next. A change at Q/B effects the whole offensive team, and this is hard to do in mid-stream.

All League
    I firmly believe we'd be playing for something this week if we retained Coles.

Coles had dynamic chemstry with both Chad and Vinny, and the combo of him and Moss would've opened holes for Martin earlier this year (Despite the ineffectiveness of our O-Line).

We weren't scoring TDs the first few weeks Vinny was in there, and we paid for it with 4 losses (And it wasn't all Vinny's fault). However poor the D was against the run, they only allowed 16ppg during that 6 week strecth. I think if we woulda pulled a few of those games out (With Coles) the team would've had a lot of momentum when Chad got back in there.

Regardless of all this, it's a moot point. The team couldn't afford to give Coles the money he wanted (And I don't blame him for taking it). And the only game we know we would've won (For Sure) was the Redskins game, because he killed us.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Originally posted by Jet Fumes@Dec 25 2003, 11:43 AM
    The game against the Phish might very well have had some meaning if Coles had been retained. On paper though, Moss picked up Coles 1000 yards. Problem is, there was no one else to throw the ball to.

We have all readily acknowledged that at the very least, it was a brain fart not to place the highest tender on Coles, especially after Snyder came out and said he would not have surrendered a 1st and 2nd for Coles. Not matching the $13 million was wise, but not placing the highest tender requirement was dumb.

With Coles and Moss both on the field, I say this season turns out a little differently. Not sure the game Sunday would have alot meaning record wise, I mean, we might be fighting for 9-7 or maybe even 8-8.
    Why do I say this? WE STILL CAN NOT TACKLE AND CAN NOT STOP THE RUN!!!!!

Fact of the matter is, not losing Coles might have made a difference in the games we lost by three points, but, at the end of the day, opposing offenses would keep the offense off the field by running the ball for an average of 148 yds per game. Coles and Moss are useless if they are sitting on the sidelines.
    83 Santana Moss 67 1039 15.5 69.3 10
    81 Curtis Conway 44 593 13.5 39.5 2
    33 Jerald Sowell 42 393 9.4 26.2 1
    88 Anthony Becht 34 324 9.5 21.6 3
    80 Wayne Chrebet 27 289 10.7 41.3 1
    28 Curtis Martin 42 262 6.2 17.5 0
    81 Chris Baker 14 137 9.8 9.1 0
    34 LaMont Jordan 11 101 9.2 6.7 0
    Jonathan Carter 4 93 23.2 10.3 1
    Kevin Lockett 3 43 14.3 21.5 0

Here are the stats for the Jets receivers this season thus far. No eye popping production outside of Moss and Sowell had alot of catches for a Fullback. Chris Baker has been a forgotten man this year which was not a smart move in my opinion. He was really good toward the end of last season and the more work he gets, the better he will become. I know he dropped one in the end zone last weekend but i think he will become a go-to guy as his playing time hopefully increases. I think we should be using alot more 2 tight end sets.

I like what I've seen of Lockett, his hands seem to be pretty good. As a late season acquisition he hasn't had alot of opportunites but i think he has alot of potential to develop into a reliable possesion type receiver.

All League
    I must have missed the part where Chris Baker was really good at the end of last year.

All year he played in 11 games had 2 catches for 14 yards.

He can not block, which is the bulk of a TE's job

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Originally posted by FlaGreen@Dec 26 2003, 03:27 PM
    I must have missed the part where Chris Baker was really good at the end of last year.

He can not block, which is the bulk of a TE's job
    The stats you're quoting don't include the post season. Baker is actually a very good blocker. Where have you been?? :unsure:

All League
    Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan+Dec 26 2003, 03:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ARodKeyWestJetsFan @ Dec 26 2003, 03:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--FlaGreen@Dec 26 2003, 03:27 PM

He can not block, which is the bulk of a TE&#39;s job
    You apparently missed more than that. Baker is actually a very good blocker. Where have you been?? :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    Watching every game Dude

He sucks as a blocker. Has some potential as a receiver, but has the same problem as Becht,

Drops balls

All League
    Here is a pre draft scouting report on him.

He has not changed.

Prospect ProfileChris Baker
    Position: Tight End
    College: Michigan State
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 258
    Hometown: Saline, Mich.

Positives: Solid, thickly proportioned frame with thick hands and legs Very aware route runner with the effective acceleration needed to break suddenly into the open Alert enough to uncover and make proper body adjustments to combat defenders for the ball in the short area Uses his big hands to pluck, snatch and secure the ball upon contact Very assertive running with the ball and has that deep burst to separate and explode in the seam Shows excellent flexibility reacting to the high passes and has the hip swerve to adjust to the over-the-shoulder grabs Stays low in his pads to run with strong functional power after the catch Has the quick feet and knee bend to be effective cut blocking at the second level Shows quickness on seam routes Has a solid work ethic Finds the holes well and has natural upper body flexibility going for the ball in traffic Gains on his breaks when running option routes.

Negatives: Late getting off the snap Gathers at the top when attempting to separate Weak as a blocker, showing only adequate strength to sustain Needs to keep his leg base wider when blocking in pass protection and also must show better hand delivery, as he only makes glancing contact with the defender, rather than delivering a strong hand punch Has to get much more assertive blocking upfield, as he does not want to "crush" his opponent on every play Despite his foot speed, he does not have that sharp burst needed to elude after the catch (uses power rather than speed) Lacks a variety of moves (shake and wiggle) in his routes Gets good position on the ball, but lacks the leaping ability to get to the pigskin at its highest point Has to build up speed rather than burst suddenly after the catch. More drops then you would like.