Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is What We Have All Wondered About

All League
    From todays Star Ledger. We call the defense Herm's, but this article says different...

"Edwards, who has given his offensive and defensive coordinators complete autonomy, will get more involved on both sides of the ball. He won't call plays or defensive signals during games. Instead, he'll tell his coordinators exactly what he wants during the week. And what he wants more than anything is to be more aggressive."

"I'm probably going to have to do things a little bit different on the way I delegate things," Edwards said. "I'm going to have to be more hands-on in a lot of the things we do. We've been here three years now. I know what I want to do to try to improve things, whether it's offensively, defensively or special teams. I'm the head coach and it falls on my shoulders to make sure we do the right things."

"Edwards would like to see Moss get the ball more. Offensive coordinator Paul Hackett tends to get lost in his West Coast offense, spreading the ball around instead of going with the hot hand. Edwards also wants more blitzing. Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell wasn't big on gambling with all-out blitzes, and it might cost him his job. Edwards is believed to be interested in Tampa Bay assistant head coach/defensive line coach Rod Marinelli as Cottrell's possible successor.

"I have to make some tough decisions," Edwards said. "When you don't go to the playoffs, that changes things."

So...

Even though this article doesn't come out and say it, I say Teddy is gone. The part that troubles me is that he has said every year that he needs to get more involved. Without calling plays, how much more involved can he get? Is he gonna tell Hackett to make sure he throws the ball to Moss a certain number of times per game? If Teddy stays, is he gonna order him to blitz a certain number of times per game?

I like the man, and have made no secret about it. I hope he sticks around a long time here. But, his hands off approach bothers me the same way it bothered me about his homie Dungy. I can't see how both Herm and Dungy could not have concluded that it was Dungy's hands off approach that helped him get fired from Tampa.

Read the article on the teams official page, and tell me what you all think.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Gee, what surprise. Hermie wants to bring in another guy from Tampa.

All League
    I also read that he is considering bringing in Greg Williams as defensive coordinator if he doesn't get Marinelli. Hope he's a better coordinator than coach!!!!!!!!! !!

All League
    Who would you like to see us bring in BTJF? I know you don't like HErm, but being that we are saddled with him probably another two years, who would you like to see coach the defense?

Greg Williams.... hmmmmm???? Never heard that one at all. Blonde moment here... he is the Bills coach right?

If Wanny gets the axe in Miami, does he get consideration as a Def Coord?

All League
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™@Dec 28 2003, 11:30 AM
    Gee, what surprise. Hermie wants to bring in another guy from Tampa.
    Another probably silly question BTJF... another guy from Tampa?

Do you mean players or coaches? We don't have any Tampa coaches, do we?

All Pro
    SOUNDS GOOD TO ME..BALL BALL JETS-BALL!!!!!!

All League
    Sounds to me like he's just passing the blame. Suck it up and say it's your own damn fault and do it without any qualifiers.

All League
    Charter JI Member

No, fumes, no Tampa coaches of which I'm aware.

His players from the Tampa D have sure lit a fire up here, though, haven't they?

Your point about "Who would you like to see us bring in?" is valid. But, I'd like to see which D coordinators get HC jobs and see who's left before committing to one of Herm's homies from Tampa.

All League
    I thought I was missing something Bob!!!!! The players that came here from there, with the exception of Donnie Abe, have sucked... VERY TRUE!!!!

I know you won't commit, but I am gonna bug ya a little....

Lets make a few assumptions.

Wanny is out of Miami.

Greg Williams (Bills HC right?) is out of Buffalo.

Lovie, Crennel, Kiffen, Johnson, and everyone else I have missed are well entrenched in their own teams defensive programs and would likely not leave for a lateral move.

Does Wannstedt get considered?
    Does Williams get considered?
    Does anyone from the Ravens defensive staff get considered?

Don't commit to wanting one or the other, but, as always, your opinion tends to be well rounded and respected... well, by me anyway. Out of the possible choices (some of them speculative of course) out there, what are your thoughts on some of them?

All League
    "Edwards, who has given his offensive and defensive coordinators complete autonomy..."

If that's the case, what does he do, anyway?

All League
    Looks good and gets the blame when things don't go wrong... only thing is, he has become New Yorks newest Teflon Don cause none of the blame stays on his shoulders!!!!!

He leads. He supervises. He does the same thing your own manager does, which from your perspective, is probably nothing much at all!!!!

In that same line of thinking though, aside from give guidlines and directions, what does any HC really do?

Even Mumbles says this is Crennels defense and Weiss' offense. Tuna doesn't call plays in Dallas, and I am not certain Vermeil was ever a coordinator at all... probably was, but he doesn't make calls right now.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Bugg@Dec 28 2003, 12:28 PM
    "Edwards, who has given his offensive and defensive coordinators complete autonomy..."

If that's the case, what does he do, anyway?
    He calls the timeouts of course!

Oh wait.... :blink:

All League
    If you think any good coach gives his coordinators "complete autonomy", you haven't been paying attention.

Maxman
    Originally posted by newjakecity@Dec 28 2003, 11:34 AM
    I also read that he is considering bringing in Greg Williams as defensive coordinator if he doesn't get Marinelli. Hope he's a better coordinator than coach!!!!!!!!! !!
    William is a 46 Defense guy originally. If blitzing is what you want then this is your guy.

Maxman
    Wanny has been a good coordinator but I wouldn't consider him. He has losing written all over him after his last few stints.

Banned
    I'm sorry, but this is just throwing the assistants under the bus. "Instead, he'll tell his coordinators exactly what he wants during the week."

Are you telling me that he doesn't help set up the game plan now? Hackett and Cottrell just come in and go "Here's the game plan!"?

This is a load of crap.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Originally posted by Maxman@Dec 28 2003, 01:16 PM
    Wanny has been a good coordinator but I wouldn't consider him. He has losing written all over him after his last few stints.
    Agreed!! Leave Wanny the hell alone!!!!

All League
    Originally posted by Bugg@Dec 28 2003, 01:13 PM
    If you think any good coach gives his coordinators "complete autonomy", you haven't been paying attention.
    I would conclude that complete autonomy means they can call the plays they want to call when they want to call them.

The HC might decide what types of offense or defense the teams is gonna run, but I don't think alot of HC's call plays.

Maybe I am wrong....?????

All League
    I don't know if any HC gives his Asst. Coaches "complete" autonomy, but many step out of the way.

Dungy lets Tom Moore handle the O in Indy.

Martz lets Lovie Smith run the D in St. Louis.

Spurrier lets Geroge Edwards run the D.

Gruden defers to Kiffin.

I'm sure there are tons of other examples, but many coaches act as administrators. They go over the gameplan with their coordinators for the week, and if it's a situation, like 4th and 1 for example, then the coach decides what he wants to do. Otherwise, they leave it up to them.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JetFanTransplant@Dec 28 2003, 12:04 PM
    Sounds to me like he's just passing the blame. Suck it up and say it's your own damn fault and do it without any qualifiers.
    He did....He takes the blame, it's in all the papers today.