Thread: If J. Abe plays OLB next year

TomShane
    So, Abe moves back to OLB next year, which basically means that Herm totally wasted the prime years of one of the great young pass rushers to come along in a long time. We could have been talking about a Derrick Thomas-type player here, until Herm, in his typical fashion of plugging square pegs into round holes, decided to play him at DE. In Herm's system, the DE needs to be about 285-290 lbs and able to stand up LT's, and Abe was just not that guy and he got his ass kicked day in and day out because of it. Even the Tampa Bay 'D' had to tweak its scheme when Simeon Rice got there. Thanks Abe, for dealing with the stupidity of Herm, and, oh yeah, sorry about wasting half of your career playing out of position.

All League
    I totally disagree. Abe has wasted most of his short career ON THE INJURED LIST

Look at his stats and see how many games he has missed already...

TomShane
    Originally posted by ASH_1962@Dec 29 2003, 10:45 AM
    I totally disagree. Abe has wasted most of his short career ON THE INJURED LIST

Look at his stats and see how many games he has missed already...
    Because he's an LB playing in the pits. That'll get a guy hurt pretty quick, don't ya think? When he got hurt his rookie year, playing OLB, it was a hernia (I believe) a freak thing. Everything else has been the reult of getting crushed by an OL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    LB's get crushed by OL too, especially SLB. Herm hasn't wasted abe's prime years out of position - they are just gonna try something different. This is one of those situations where if they don't do it they are idiots and if they do it they are idiots for not doing it sooner.

ps- TS you are raggin hard today.

Welcome back T.S. and yes Herm is an idiot.

TomShane
    Originally posted by bitonti@Dec 29 2003, 10:50 AM

ps- TS you are raggin hard today.
    LOL! Thanks Bit. I see Arizona and the Raiders whacking their coaches and I'm getting all jealous.

Why hasn't this this regime been fired yet. We have 4-12 written all over next year. That idiot Herm has said the cupboard is bare why then does he have a job with us. He doesn't play young players yet can't find good vets too replace the ones he let go. Why should we be confident that they will draft and the right players this year when they haven't for three years.
    What confidence do we have that this adminstration is going to bring in the talent and depth we need to compete with the pats and fins next year. We are 4 games behind the fins and 8 games behind the pats. these are the people that brought us CONWAY,Beasely,Garnes,Szott,Smith,Cowart,DABRAHAM, DROBENSION,GLOCK,SMARTIN,NUTTAN,resigned JONES,Lewis,Martin,Chrebet. No wonder why our cap situation is what it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by star95@Dec 29 2003, 11:09 AM
    Why hasn't this this regime been fired yet. We have 4-12 written all over next year. That idiot Herm has said the cupboard is bare why then does he have a job with us. He doesn't play young players yet can't find good vets too replace the ones he let go. Why should we be confident that they will draft and the right players this year when they haven't for three years.
    What confidence do we have that this adminstration is going to bring in the talent and depth we need to compete with the pats and fins next year. We are 4 games behind the fins and 8 games behind the pats. these are the people that brought us CONWAY,Beasely,Garnes,Szott,Smith,Cowart,DABRAHAM, DROBENSION,GLOCK,SMARTIN,NUTTAN,resigned JONES,Lewis,Martin,Chrebet. No wonder why our cap situation is what it is.
    Wow-season predictions for next year-Why wait for FA, draft and all the other machinatyions-Let's go ahead and start throwing season predictions out already.

Brother.

Veteran
    My favorite Herm-basher is (Barry Switzer style)BACK, BABY!!

Welcome back, TS. I cant pin Abe's injuries on Herm though. IMO, I think Abe isnt very serious about conditioning.

As far as Herm?....I'll say it again and again until someone acknowledges the statement....Herm will stay unfortunately. So we all figure Teddy goes and Hackett probably stays. If that happens and Chad stays healthy, we WILL be competitive, but never, never, never OUTCOACH anybody........ever. In many sports, teams with below average coaching often compete for, and sometimes do, win championships.....football is NOT one of those sports.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Shadetree@Dec 29 2003, 11:42 AM
    My favorite Herm-basher is (Barry Switzer style)BACK, BABY!!

Welcome back, TS. I cant pin Abe's injuries on Herm though. IMO, I think Abe isnt very serious about conditioning.

As far as Herm?....I'll say it again and again until someone acknowledges the statement....Herm will stay unfortunately. So we all figure Teddy goes and Hackett probably stays. If that happens and Chad stays healthy, we WILL be competitive, but never, never, never OUTCOACH anybody........ever. In many sports, teams with below average coaching often compete for, and sometimes do, win championships.....football is NOT one of those sports.
    a'hem-Barry Switzer and Mike Martz come to IMMEDIATE mind in football. I can add more if you care shade, but I think I have proven the ZERO concept is not true.

Not germane to this situation, anyway.

Rookie
    This is all a matter of perspective. There are tons of DE's in the league the same size or smaller than Abe. Freeney, Taylor, Greg Spires to name a few. This is just an idea to get Abe, Thomas and Ellis on the field all at once. I doubt you will see Abe at LB anyway because he will be injured too much to properly practise it.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Scott Dierking+Dec 29 2003, 11:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Scott Dierking @ Dec 29 2003, 11:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Shadetree@Dec 29 2003, 11:42 AM
    My favorite Herm-basher is (Barry Switzer style)BACK, BABY&#33;&#33;

Welcome back, TS. I cant pin Abe&#39;s injuries on Herm though. IMO, I think Abe isnt very serious about conditioning.

As far as Herm?....I&#39;ll say it again and again until someone acknowledges the statement....Herm will stay unfortunately. So we all figure Teddy goes and Hackett probably stays. If that happens and Chad stays healthy, we WILL be competitive, but never, never, never OUTCOACH anybody........ever. In many sports, teams with below average coaching often compete for, and sometimes do, win championships.....football is NOT one of those sports.
    a&#39;hem-Barry Switzer and Mike Martz come to IMMEDIATE mind in football. I can add more if you care shade, but I think I have proven the ZERO concept is not true.

Not germane to this situation, anyway. [/b][/quote]
    Martz never won a championship...Conference doesnt count. As a matter of fact I think he was thoroughly outcoached by a much less talented team in the Superbowl.
    I&#39;ll have to give you Switzer(and I knew someone would respond with him as a rebuttal.....but please...a veteran team with 3 or 4 HOFers on offense alone going for there 3rd ring??

I get your point Scott....do you get mine?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Shadetree+Dec 29 2003, 12:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadetree @ Dec 29 2003, 12:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Scott Dierking@Dec 29 2003, 11:48 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Shadetree
    @Dec 29 2003, 11:42 AM
    My favorite Herm-basher is (Barry Switzer style)BACK, BABY&#33;&#33;

Welcome back, TS. I cant pin Abe&#39;s injuries on Herm though. IMO, I think Abe isnt very serious about conditioning.

As far as Herm?....I&#39;ll say it again and again until someone acknowledges the statement....Herm will stay unfortunately. So we all figure Teddy goes and Hackett probably stays. If that happens and Chad stays healthy, we WILL be competitive, but never, never, never OUTCOACH anybody........ever. In many sports, teams with below average coaching often compete for, and sometimes do, win championships.....football is NOT one of those sports.

a&#39;hem-Barry Switzer and Mike Martz come to IMMEDIATE mind in football. I can add more if you care shade, but I think I have proven the ZERO concept is not true.

Not germane to this situation, anyway.
    Martz never won a championship...Conference doesnt count. As a matter of fact I think he was thoroughly outcoached by a much less talented team in the Superbowl.
    I&#39;ll have to give you Switzer(and I knew someone would respond with him as a rebuttal.....but please...a veteran team with 3 or 4 HOFers on offense alone going for there 3rd ring??

I get your point Scott....do you get mine? [/b][/quote]
    Next season will tell shade.

Many Jet fans were screaming at the FO to take a look at Spurrier when the coaching fiasco came down.

Look at him-His own players snipe at him, there is unrest in the locker room, and he goes takes a vacation.

How would you like THAT for your coach. Say one thing and a BIG thing about the players under Herm-He keeps them united and there is no finger pointing in that locker room. He has created a unit

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Thanks Abe, for dealing with the stupidity of Herm, and, oh yeah, sorry about wasting half of your career playing out of position.
    I&#39;m sure Abe feels his career has been wasted. That&#39;s pretty much how most players feel after repeat trips to the Pro Bowl and the fact that, if he were a FA today, he&#39;d be the most coveted player at his position (next to Kearse who may get tagged), and could demand a signing bonus of &#036;15M+. I&#39;d be pretty disheartened by such mishandling as well.

In evaluating the move to LB, it may be worthwhile to note a few circumstances: (1) the fact that Abraham&#39;s health was just fine in 2001 and 2002, (2) the fact that the Jets will suddenly have 2 new vacancies at the position (whereas, upon Herm&#39;s arrival there was a glut), (3) the fact that Herm had nobody at DE to use in place of Abe (Ogbogu, Lyle?), (4) the fact that Ellis is now a top notch DE, (5) the fact that a replacement for Abe is finally ready in Thomas, and (6) the fact that Walters looks decent enough to rotate in for depth. Had Abe failed as a DE, or had the confluence of the events above taken place say, in 2001 rather than 2004, then I&#39;d agree completely.

All League
    Why is getting Thomas onto the field something we should be trying to do? I think people just see that he&#39;s been on the field and think he&#39;s been playing well, but he really hasn&#39;t shown much.
    I think Abraham could be an LB in a 3-4, but not in a 4-3.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by star95@Dec 29 2003, 11:09 AM
    Why hasn&#39;t this this regime been fired yet. We have 4-12 written all over next year. That idiot Herm has said the cupboard is bare why then does he have a job with us. He doesn&#39;t play young players yet can&#39;t find good vets too replace the ones he let go. Why should we be confident that they will draft and the right players this year when they haven&#39;t for three years.
    maybe because only a total idiot would fire a head coach who in his first two seasons brought his team to the playoffs?

Funny that all your *****ing is on personnell, which is the GM&#39;s fault.

Funnier still, you have no clue as to the cap, again a GM point, but ***** about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Dr&#39;s Howard, Fine and Howard, how do knee and abdominal injuries get blamed on DE vs LB?

Pretty far reach and not based on any medical fact.

And has MJones and his history of hip, knee and ankle injuries get blamed on being a LB?

Damned if they do, damned if they don&#39;t argument by those who need to blame everything and anything on Herm.

Of course it totally ignores the fact that PARCELLS and GROH drafted Abe to play DE and that GROH played him there his first NFL season.