Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackett not out of the woods

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

Jets coach Herman Edwards cleaned house on defense yesterday, firing defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell and three assistants.

Now, Edwards has set his sights on offensive coordinator Paul Hackett, who might not be as safe as everyone has believed. According to one person familiar with his thinking, Edwards isn't satisfied with Hackett, but he believes it would be difficult to replace both coordinators.

That said, Edwards and Hackett will meet this week. If Hackett isn't agreeable to some of the changes Edwards wants to make on offense, the frequent target of Jets fans could be the next coach out the door.

The person said quarterback Chad Pennington's strong relationship with Hackett might be the only thing saving the offensive coordinator's job. Edwards didn't give Hackett a ringing endorsement when asked if Hackett would return.

"All of them (the offensive coaches) are back at this point," Edwards said. "Now, when I sit down and discuss certain things I want to do, we'll see what happens."

Edwards is upset that the Jets, who were 6-10, averaged only 17.6 points per game this season, tied for 23rd in the NFL. The offense was ranked 19th in the NFL and showed little explosiveness.

When asked about Hackett last week, Pennington said: "We have a great relationship. We had a great season last year. We were starting to build on our success this year and then we just hit a little lull. Other than that, it's looking pretty good to me."

And last week, Hackett called speculation about his job "absurd," then abruptly ended an interview.

But Edwards, bolstered by a raise and extension that are expected to be negotiated next month, seems to be taking a "my way or the highway" attitude with his assistants.

Maxman
    Good job Herm. Take no prisoners.

All Pro
    If Hackett has any pride, he would tell Herm that he will get the offense fixed, if Herm and Terry get him a decent line, and a big W/R. But he will probably take the wimpy way out, and tell Herm that any changes Herm wants are fine by him.

Personally, I would like Hackett gone. Bring in a guy who is a bit of a gambler, and is willing to mix things up with the schemes. Enough of these draw plays and 3 yard dump offs.

All League
    This is surprising. You would think if they're gonna clean out the CS, they'd do it all in one fell swoop.

Veteran
    I've spent three years wanting Hackett gone - I see him as an overly cautious man who lacks creativity and gets tunnel vision when his back is against the wall.

But before we abandon an entire system and spend a season rebuilding on offence, I'd like to see what his system can do with a decent offensive line. There is no way the current patchwork line will make do for next year, and I believe that Hackett's system relies upon the strength of the line. He is good as spreading the ball out, and that's why a fast thinking QB like Chad can make the system work. All he needs is a little more time and another good receiver and I think that Hackett's system could work very well.

It's not the explosive type offence that I'd like to see, for sure, but when we only have one playmaker on offence, who drew double coverage for the last half of the season, no offence is going to look explosive.

Rookie
    :lol:
    I could not of said it better myself!!

All League
    The system itself isn't the problem. The playcalling is. I don't think they're gonna tear up the playbook even if they get rid of or demote Hackett. The basic idea- quick drops, short accurate passes- will not change as long as Pennington is here. Calling draws on 3rd and long and not taking an occasional shot upfield to stretch defenses is what has been killing this team. It also wouldn't kill them to mix things up a little-5 wide, shotgun. Hackett doesn't seem capable of doing that. And what did Jimmy Raye do exactly, if the predictable nature of the playcalls got if anything worse?

And keep this in mind-the more 1st downs you haver to get during a drive, the better chance you'll get stopped or somemthing will go wrong. even if you just complete e few midrange 15 yarders, it makes things that much easier. Teams cheat up like crazy after watching tape of the Jet. That has to be stopped by taking the ball upfield every drive.

All League
    i know this is real premature, but if Hackett does get fired maybe we should talk to Bill Calahan about being our OC. I hated Calahan as a head coach, but he is a guy that could help Herm tremendously with the clock, plus he already runs a system that Chad would be very comfortable with. The way that he spoke in the media about his team i feel may have eliminated him as a possibility for a new head coaching position, which may make him look at an OC job. I'm iffy about what i'm saying bercause i really hated Calahan, but when he was an OC for gruden behind the scenes thier offense was thought of as one of the best in the NFL.

Veteran
    That is good lateral thinking

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Something that constantly bothered me this season was when the Jets would start a game with impressive first-possession drives, and that would be basically the highlight of the day for the offense. Hackett was clearly going with a script that worked only for that first possession, then when savvy playcalling and ad libs were called for on subsequent drives, he was like a stage struck actor who forgets his lines and goes "hamina-hamina-hamina draw play". I don't think it's too much to ask that we have an OC who can plan ahead more than 1 possession per game.

All Pro
    Originally posted by parkwayjet1@Dec 31 2003, 01:25 PM
    Something that constantly bothered me this season was when the Jets would start a game with impressive first-possession drives, and that would be basically the highlight of the day for the offense. Hackett was clearly going with a script that worked only for that first possession, then when savvy playcalling and ad libs were called for on subsequent drives, he was like a stage struck actor who forgets his lines and goes "hamina-hamina-hamina draw play". I don't think it's too much to ask that we have an OC who can plan ahead more than 1 possession per game.
    What you're saying is that Hackett can script plays with a lot of time on his hands, but he can't think on his feet.

That sounds about right. That's why he should be a position coach, but not a coordinator, scripting in-game plays.

Banned
    My biggest beef with Hackett .....

1. Too conservative
    2. Too predictable
    3. Not enough downfield passing
    4. Routes seemed designed to come up two yards short of a 1st Down
    5. Not nearly enough passes into the endzone from inside the redzone

Other than that, the man is doing an outstanding job

All League
    "If Hackett is canned, I will explode. This man has done a great job. Does everyone remember that call against the Fins last week? After Becht gets called for a pushoff, they run a draw on 2nd and 21 for a yard. Brilliant!That made it only 3rd and 20. This is exactly what this team needs. He is an inspiration"-Every Jet Opponent

Veteran
    Oh baby, I love this thread...you can forget about winning the super bowl with hackett in charge of the offense.........NEVER............................E VER.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 31 2003, 01:37 PM
    My biggest beef with Hackett .....

1. Too conservative
    2. Too predictable
    3. Not enough downfield passing
    4. Routes seemed designed to come up two yards short of a 1st Down
    5. Not nearly enough passes into the endzone from inside the redzone

Other than that, the man is doing an outstanding job
    what i don't understand is that this was his philosophy before we hired him - so what made teh front office think he would be a good fit?

Rookie
    Hackett is a FOOL. FIRE HIS ASS NOW!

Practice Squad
    i know this is real premature, but if Hackett does get fired maybe we should talk to Bill Calahan about being our OC. I hated Calahan as a head coach, but he is a guy that could help Herm tremendously with the clock, plus he already runs a system that Chad would be very comfortable with. The way that he spoke in the media about his team i feel may have eliminated him as a possibility for a new head coaching position, which may make him look at an OC job. I'm iffy about what i'm saying bercause i really hated Calahan, but when he was an OC for gruden behind the scenes thier offense was thought of as one of the best in the NFL.
    I agree. Fire Hackett and bring in Calahan. I think this will be a great move.

All League
    i hope PH is canned because it will make our fearless leader look even more stupid

He will be 1st hc ever to deflect blame on both coordinators

think about it....

herm is only one to survive this Titanic, at least he should go down with
    his ship.

Veteran
    Hackett reminds me of a chess player who uses the same opening of moves every game.

We all have a pretty good idea of what the Jets are gonna run 2 and 10 or 3rd and short
    If we all know what he is going to call say 70-80 percent of the time imagine what a good defensive coach could do ?

Veteran
    Originally posted by afosomf@Dec 31 2003, 04:48 PM
    i hope PH is canned because it will make our fearless leader look even more stupid

He will be 1st hc ever to deflect blame on both coordinators

think about it....

herm is only one to survive this Titanic, at least he should go down with
    his ship.
    I here ya, afosomf....but why the hell not fire him?!?!?!
    WE ARE F-ING SCREWED IF HE DOESNT....I'll tell ya that.

Why wouldnt he fire him?? He fakes f-ing field goals, goes for it on 4th down when he should f-ing punt, etc.....he couldnt care less about peoples perception of his accountability of his own actions.