Thread: Which Cane Defender would you take?

Hall Of Fame
    I've seen a little Miami all year, but I haven't watched them as closely as I did last night because of Taylor, DJ and Vilma (and to a lesser extent Winslow).

I've been intrigued by what people are saying about DJ's speed and potential, I love Taylor's size/speed/atheleticism, and I haven't really been high on Vilma.

But watching Vilma last night, he looks like a pretty finished product, looks like he could step right in and play. What a hitter. Looks mean, strong.

I still like Taylor a lot although he won't be there at 12, but as between DJ and Vilma, Vilma certainly closed the gap in my eyes watching them last night.

If we thought Vilma was going to be available in the low 20s, I'd move down and take him, and get an extra pick.

Is Poole really that bad of a guy for USC?

Veteran
    I was a big fan of Ed Reed but this Taylor guy is a player and could have a huge impact on a defense.. the lbers were also pretty impressive, just think you can never go wrong with a Miami player...they are perennial solid pro players and play in a pro environment. Winslow is also a tough sob and would bring a whole new dimension to an offense. The wr from USC opposite Mike Williams is also pretty nice as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Colbert?

He was awesome. I gotta check his measuables, he looks like a player. What a one-hander.

He outshone Edwards who I've liked alot. Edwards dropped a bunch of balls.

Hall Of Fame
    Sorry, didn't see the earlier thread on this topic.

Banned
    Tough to say in what order the Miami players will fall off the board ... here's my early guess

1. Vince Wilfork
    2. Sean Taylor
    3. Kellen Winslow
    4. DJ Williams
    5. Jon Vilma
    6. Vernon Carey

1. Massive DT's who can clog the middle and get after the QB are a hot commodity

2. Safeties tend to slide but Taylor is one of those rare exceptions to the rule

3. The Stud Playmaker TE is back in vogue and Winslow fits the mold

4. Though not the finished pruduct, DJ offers a high upside with his desirable size/speed ratio

5. Vilma is the toughest of the lot to judge ... could go much higher than expected, even leaping DJ Williams if a team sees a smooth transition to WLB from this smallish but speedy linebacker, or could fall due to his size and necessity to make that transition from MLB to WLB

6. Carey is another tough call ... the likely projection will be to OG and OG's tend to slide, but this cat is an absolute road-grader who can really dominate

Veteran
    I fell asleep before the half, but DJ Williams failed to impress me. Am I alone?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Jan 2 2004, 10:15 AM
    I fell asleep before the half, but DJ Williams failed to impress me. Am I alone?
    That was my thought.

Vilma, on the other hand, was very active, made his presence felt on a LOT of plays.

Almost killed Rix.

Veteran
    Originally posted by JStokes+Jan 2 2004, 10:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JStokes @ Jan 2 2004, 10:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Shadetree@Jan 2 2004, 10:15 AM
    That was my thought.

Vilma, on the other hand, was very active, made his presence felt on a LOT of plays.

Almost killed Rix. [/b][/quote]
    How about that freshman LB for FSU....forget his name...#34??
    He looks like he&#39;ll be an animal.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: I now live in Florida and I have seen the Canes on TV quite a bit....
    two players:

1)Sean Taylor
    2)DJ Williams

Waterboy
    In a word "dominent",Wilfork.

All League
    One thing that I noticed, and knowing the Jets I&#39;m sure impresses them, is that Miami has a lot of their top players playing on special teams. DJ and Taylor on punt coverage, Winslow on punt block were the ones I noticed.

All League
    [SIZE=14][COLOR=green] Sean Taylor&#33;

JetsInsider.com Legend
    after 2 pro seasons, when Vilma is up to around 240 he will be a Ray lewis clone. I like this player a LOT.

DJ Williams lacks the instincts and is falling on my personal board to the point where im not sure he&#39;s worth the 12 pick.

Rookie
    IMHO.....

1.....Taylor.....
    2.....Wilfork.....
    3.....Winslow.....
    4.....Vilma.....
    5.....Williams.....
    6.....Carey.....

Also, I wouldn&#39;t be at all surprised if three more Canes are off the board by the end of round # 2.....

7.....A.Rolle........CB
    8.....M.Sykes.......S
    9.....C.Joseph.....OT