Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Buff GREG WILLIAMS interviewing Friday!!

Williams is coming in to see Herm and Bradway this Friday for the D.C. job. Whats the scoop on him? Does he like to blitz? (thats all I care about in a D.C.-LOL).Thumbs up or down from our resident geniuses?...

All League
    Williams was the DC for the Titans during their superbowl year. It was a very successfull defense. He comes from the Buddy Ryan Tree. The Titans play a modified 4-6. Lots of zone blitzes, and man to man coverages. Very aggressive, but I don't recommend it if you don't have the people to run it.

Waterboy
    Bills fan: Jets don't have the LB's "right now" for that defense. You guys need much more speed. Having Gregg Williams as your DC wouldn't necessarily a bad deal cuz he's familiar with the AFC East.

With the 12th pick in the 1st rd of 2004 NFL draft, the NY Jets select, LB D.J. Williams from University of Miami

All Pro
    rabal you have the right idea however, the Jets wont be drafting anymore LB`s with the first pick this year..it`s either a CB or a WR.
    we have enough LB`s fah now! man!

AND why do we keep getting our upstate rivals, DC? Greg Williams!!!!!! I say NOOOO!

Hall Of Fame
    yea ok....

so i can see it now: Herm tying GW's shoes insisting on a cover 2 hybrid just like with teddy c.

Minus well get marinelli, at least they r on the same page

Hall Of Fame
    Hiring Williams will be just as good as hiring Marinelli, I'm for either guy, both at the top of my own list of preferences for replacement.

Williams is also a go-getter, a disciplinarian, and ran one of the best defenses in the league while with Tennessee, I bet Josh Evans would LOVE to have this guy brought aboard.

Williams would be a good hire.

Veteran
    they are on the same page. williams runs a lot of zones with the 4-6 sprinkled in.

williams

New search begins for Jets

Thursday, January 1, 2004

By RANDY LANGE
    STAFF WRITER

The music has begun for this year's game of NFL coaching musical chairs. And the Jets are intent on getting one of the first seats when the defensive coordinators are being passed out.

Team sources confirmed Wednesday that the Jets have begun the first step of the process in replacing Ted Cottrell, fired Tuesday, by sending out permission forms to teams whose coaches they would like to interview.

In Tampa, Fla., the Buccaneers confirmed they received a request from the Jets to talk with Rod Marinelli, their assistant head coach and defensive line coach who is under contract through next season. There was no indication late Wednesday whether the Bucs would grant permission or not.

The Jets are also said to be interested in chatting with Ron Rivera, the Philadelphia Eagles' linebackers coach and former Bears' linebacker who has a University of California connection with coach Herman Edwards. But any interviews with Rivera would have to wait until after the Eagles are done with postseason play.

One candidate the Jets are believed to already have reached out to is former Buffalo Bills' head coach Gregg Williams. In many ways, Williams would be a perfect fit for the Jets - he believes in a 4-3 attack scheme behind which the back seven mixes Cover-2 with Cover-3 and zone dogs - but a lot more five-man and six-man rushes than Cottrell.

Williams also throws in some "46" alignments as a change of pace. He's said to be adaptable and would have no problems downshifting from head coach to coordinator status.

Edwards and the Jets are expected to begin setting up interviews Friday, and hope to start the interview process by next week. They'll need to be quick on their feet - with Bill Callahan being fired by Oakland, there are seven head coaches and staffs that have to be hired in a hurry.

Undrafted Free Agent
    This matter of selecting a DC is agruably the most important selection.

Rod Marinelli seems the best fit in terms of: 1) cut from the same Buc cloth as Herm and his skill set; 2) would likely stay on for more than a year.

GW would be a great addition but, why select someone who will be looking to join the HC ranks after a year. On this point, glad Cotrell is out. With his delusions of becoming a HC he was looking to leave anyway.

All League
    Originally posted by Steelbirds@Jan 1 2004, 12:51 PM

Rod Marinelli seems the best fit in terms of: 1) cut from the same Buc cloth as Herm and his skill set; 2) would likely stay on for more than a year.

GW would be a great addition but, why select someone who will be looking to join the HC ranks after a year. On this point, glad Cotrell is out. With his delusions of becoming a HC he was looking to leave anyway.
    Its unlikely that Greg Williams would be able to get a head coaching job next year (even if he led his defense to a number one ranking).

All League
    F the Jets act quickly and aggressively they should come out with an excellent DC.

Marinelli

Williams

McGinnis

I'm pulling for Williams. he seems to make the most sense. Has a lot of experience. His system will fit what Herm wants to do.

The Key is to act quickly before the HC positions are filled and the big hunt for a DC begins.

Get em signed Herm

Hall Of Fame
    I think Greg Williams would be an excellent choice, the experience of another HC on Herm's staff would really benefit Herm in some of his decisions on this team's D

thumbs up!!!

All Pro
    Originally posted by Steelbirds@Jan 1 2004, 12:51 PM

Ubless Williams really kicks butt next year, I think it will be a while b/f he gets another H.C. opportunity. His track record in Buff isn't great. W/ that being said, I don't think it was all his fault. I thought they had some bad breaks and generally, I'm not a big Bledsoe guy. He did turn Buffs D into one of the best in the league.

He'd be a solid pick as DC.

Veteran
    gregg willaims is already a proven DC with leadership experience. this preseason he was the pick to be coach of the year this year, leading the bills to the playoffs. That didn't happen and he was canned. Willaims would be a perfect fit for this team.

All Pro
    Anyone cut from the Buddy Ryan cloth is cool with me, maybe Williams will throw a haymaker at Hackett on the sidelines :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

Williams would be my pick - very good DC who knows the AFC East (a big plus in my book&#33

I want Williams as well,for the same reasons as rorjets stated !!!
    knowing our division rivals is a huge +,

All Pro
    Maybe he'll bring one of his corner backs over with him

Veteran
    Originally posted by dickkotite@Jan 1 2004, 12:32 PM
    yea ok....

so i can see it now: Herm tying GW's shoes insisting on a cover 2 hybrid just like with teddy c.

Minus well get marinelli, at least they r on the same page
    only problem i have with marinelli is that he has never been a coordinator,,,with chucklehead as our HC , who has zilch 'smarts' credentials, we dont need anothe on the job learnin experience,,marinelli might be a bust as a DC,,at least williams was a successful DC in the NFL..........

All Pro
    chucklehead :lol:

All League
    These are good candidates that we're hearing about. Williams would be a solid choice, and he knows the AFC East already.