Thread: Titans in Cap Strife

All Pro
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6998648

Interesting article on how the Titans are $16M over the projected cap for 2004, with key players such as Kearse needing to be re-signed.

IMHO, this could be real good news for the Jets - Titans' WRs Drew Bennett and Justin McCariens are both RFAs. With their cap woes, Titans may not be able to place 1st round tenders on these guys, making it easier for other teams to sign them for lesser compensation. I believe that Bennett was undrafted, so he would carry no compensation under this scenario. McCariens would carry, I believe, a 4th round pick as compensation.

I'd be happy to see the Jets go after either of these rising young players as bigger complements to Santana Moss.

All League
    I would take bennett in a flash!!!!!!

even though he messed up play at end

he made some great catches, some of which Key could not make

All Pro
    A first rd tender is only 1.1 mill. If the titans cannot afford that there is soemthing wrong. When in cap hell you get rid of your high price guys no guys that only cost 1mill, They can cut 10- 1mill a year guys and only save 6 mill.

All Pro
    I agree. They will place a 1st round tendor on both those guys. They can't afford to pay them big $$ with long term contracts, but they can't afford to lose them either.

Banned
    The Titans have a fine stable of WR's ... they are amongst the deepest in the league at WR ... and I'm sure they have plans to Start last years 2nd Rounder, Tyrone Calico, perhaps as early as 2004

No way the Titans, 16 Million over the cap, place a 1st Rd tender on both McCariens & Bennett

Maybe one, but not both

Calico + 16 Million Over = One of these men will not be tendered at 1st Rd money

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by afosomf@Jan 12 2004, 08:52 AM
    I would take bennett in a flash!!!!!!

even though he messed up play at end

afo- at least try and be consistent in your arguements.

On all the other posts you claim that the refs "blew the call" on Bennett.

Now you say he failed to catch the ball?

Get off the fence.

Veteran
    I think Eddie George might be gone too...

All League
    Not wishy washy at all

He was interfered as he went up, still got 2 hands on ball.

He still should have made play

My point was the holding call was marginal as was interference

you let the players play, the refs went only halfway

All Pro
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jan 12 2004, 09:37 AM
    The Titans have a fine stable of WR's ... they are amongst the deepest in the league at WR ... and I'm sure they have plans to Start last years 2nd Rounder, Tyrone Calico, perhaps as early as 2004

No way the Titans, 16 Million over the cap, place a 1st Rd tender on both McCariens & Bennett

Maybe one, but not both

Calico + 16 Million Over = One of these men will not be tendered at 1st Rd money
    G,J&H hits it right on the head. They already have big bucks locked up in Mason, plus Calico has to get more playing time.

One or other of Bennett and McCariens could receive a 1st round tender, but I can't see both of them getting it. You can't tie up that much money at WR when you are in cap-strife, IMHO.

One or t'other of these guys will be up for grabs, and I hope the Jets go and get him.