Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: NY JETS Mock Draft - JETS trade down for extra 2nd

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    THE BRONX
    Posts
    3,193
    1.) Cornerback Chris Gamble Ohio St. - This guy is a raw Chris McCallister, great size, speed, and talent. He has big time shutdown ability, but like I said is raw but could still start in year 1. Give this guy a year or 2 and some good coaching, he'll be shutting down players like TO, Harrison, and Randy Moss. Also since Beasely is gone, the JETS need a viable replacement.

    2a.) Wide Reciever Lee Evans Wisconsin - Great speed, good size at 5'11 200lbs, and is extremely underrated. He will drop very far down the draft boards along with Rashaun Woods and Micheal Jenkins. This guy has awsome hands and makes big plays, Chrebet is most likely going to retire so the JETS need to replenish the Wide Receiving corps all together. I think the JETS will sign 1 FA and thats Tai Streets, so having Evans who be a great slot reciever, would bolster the offense and can return punts. He is tough and loves going over the middle, screw 6'3, 6'4 this guy is a baller.

    2b.) Nose Tackle Demarco McNeil Auburn - I really do think the JETS will draft a lineman this high because of Fergies and Josh Evans cap numbers in 05'. This guy would be perfect to learn behind the Vets on this team. He's exactly like McFarland in Tampa Bay, great leverage, awsome speed, and is quick. Would fit the Defense nice and would give the JETS more pass rushing lineman on passing downs.

    3.) Linebacker Courteny Watson Notre Dame - People have him going as low as the 4th or 5th, but teams aren't that stupid. This guy is bonified playmaker, who is one of the best linebackers in the country. He can play the middle incase the John Abe experiment to LB doesn't work(which I hope) or the weakside to split time with Glenn.
    This guy is what Scouts like to call a "Tampa Linebacker". Intense, tenacious, great speed, great instincts, and can tackle.

    4.) Running Back Julius Jones Notre Dame - Great speed, good power, and decent size. Would be a great kick returner, and the JETS need to accomadate Westoff because he's still pissed they let Morton Go. He can also catch passes, and would give the JETS great depth at Running Back. Possible successor to Martin.

    5.) Guard Stephen Peterman LSU - Good athlete with good size who can maul. Is a little raw, but is another body to throw into the competition at left guard.

    6.) Cornerback Vontez Duff Notre Dame - Good instincts and is a good cover man. Would give Henderson plenty of competition, and possible Nickel in 05', 06'.

    7.) Linebacker John leake Clemson - The JETS still need to develop some young players for depth, this guy is a great athlete, but an average player. But is raw, good size at 240 and reportedly ran a 4.5 40.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    :ph34r: Jets D I can really live with that.....nice mock.

  3. #3
    Yes Gamble....he is just what the Jets need to improve that secondary. He is the next best thing (Sean Taylor will be gone)

  4. #4
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2
    Is someone a notre dame fan. Has a team evre taken 3 players from the same team?

  5. #5
    Originally posted by NYJetsro71@Jan 17 2004, 03:19 PM
    Yes Gamble....he is just what the Jets need to improve that secondary. He is the next best thing (Sean Taylor will be gone)
    D'Angelo Hall is better than Gamble...

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    788
    Jones - Watson - Duff


    All have huge upside

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    THE BRONX
    Posts
    3,193
    Originally posted by section334@Jan 17 2004, 03:22 PM
    Is someone a notre dame fan. Has a team evre taken 3 players from the same team?
    I actually F*cking hate Notre Dame and Ty Willingham. But Duff, Jones, and Watson are all great players who fill needs.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,924
    Derrick Strait will be THE BEST COVER CORNER in the draft. Bet on it.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,927
    John Leake is a late 3rd...early 4th round pick.

  10. #10
    TomShane
    Guest
    I might kill myself if the draft goes that way. Other than that, nice work, my man.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    THE BRONX
    Posts
    3,193
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 17 2004, 11:09 PM
    I might kill myself if the draft goes that way. Other than that, nice work, my man.
    Why it fills every need, its gives the JETS extremely solid players at all positions of need, makes the offense better, and it makes the defense alot more faster, it also gives the JETS a Chris McCallister type shutdown corner who needs time to mature.

    Gives depth and 5 players that can make an impact right away instead of bench warmers like Bradway has usually drafted.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    THE BRONX
    Posts
    3,193
    Originally posted by SyracuseJet@Jan 17 2004, 08:10 PM
    Derrick Strait will be THE BEST COVER CORNER in the draft. Bet on it.
    Derrick Strait is not the best cover corner, he's the best all around corner who would be the "safest" pick. Gamble has ridiculous talent, he's alot like Champ Bailey, Chris McCallister, and has the same amoun of talent. The JETS have needed a Shutdown corner, and it hurts not to have one. Strait is just the most polished player, def. not the best cover corner.

  13. #13
    TomShane
    Guest
    I don't want to knock your draft, my man. I know those things are a ***** to do, and it's obvious that you did alot of homework. I'm basing my displeasure on personal bias.

    I'm a Ohio State fan, and I can't tell you how freaking over-rated Gamble is. He has 0 technique, 0 toughness, 0 instincts and alot of athleticism. At BEST, he is a project. Do you want to wait for a project, drafted at #12? McAllister is a true corner, Gamble is a guy who runs. See: Andre Woolfolk- Titans.

    I like the Evans pick. I think he'll be a real solid player, however, I don't think he is a #1 receiver, and Santana is already your #2. Their games do not complement each other's. Evans is 5'11 and shifty- Troy Brown-ish. It won't resolve the problem of giving Chad a big target to throw to 12 times a game.


    The NT (2b) would give us 12 nose tackles and one LB. Courtney Watson is a career special teamer, who we have 50 of.

    Julius Jones is a headcase, but talented. I don't want another HB.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    THE BRONX
    Posts
    3,193
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 18 2004, 08:38 PM
    I don't want to knock your draft, my man. I know those things are a ***** to do, and it's obvious that you did alot of homework. I'm basing my displeasure on personal bias.

    I'm a Ohio State fan, and I can't tell you how freaking over-rated Gamble is. He has 0 technique, 0 toughness, 0 instincts and alot of athleticism. At BEST, he is a project. Do you want to wait for a project, drafted at #12? McAllister is a true corner, Gamble is a guy who runs. See: Andre Woolfolk- Titans.

    I like the Evans pick. I think he'll be a real solid player, however, I don't think he is a #1 receiver, and Santana is already your #2. Their games do not complement each other's. Evans is 5'11 and shifty- Troy Brown-ish. It won't resolve the problem of giving Chad a big target to throw to 12 times a game.


    The NT (2b) would give us 12 nose tackles and one LB. Courtney Watson is a career special teamer, who we have 50 of.

    Julius Jones is a headcase, but talented. I don't want another HB.
    Well the JETS need to address that Cornerback because it will be a pressing need. I can see what your saying about Gamble though, but what intrigues me is that he has shutdown corner potential. McCallister was the same way in 99, but has matured and his game got better. But if the JETS traded down and took Strait, Vasher, Robinson, Gamble, whatever I'll be cool with it, like I said the JETS will really need to address it through the draft.

    Also, I'm not talking about Evans as a number 1 reciever, the Jets should draft him to replace Chrebet, as a slot receiver and to replace Santana as a punter returner. If the JETS were to sign Tai Streets to be the number 2 and draft Lee Evans that makes the offense alot more explosive and really helps Moss and Pennington.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    THE BRONX
    Posts
    3,193
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 18 2004, 08:38 PM
    I don't want to knock your draft, my man. I know those things are a ***** to do, and it's obvious that you did alot of homework. I'm basing my displeasure on personal bias.

    I'm a Ohio State fan, and I can't tell you how freaking over-rated Gamble is. He has 0 technique, 0 toughness, 0 instincts and alot of athleticism. At BEST, he is a project. Do you want to wait for a project, drafted at #12? McAllister is a true corner, Gamble is a guy who runs. See: Andre Woolfolk- Titans.

    I like the Evans pick. I think he'll be a real solid player, however, I don't think he is a #1 receiver, and Santana is already your #2. Their games do not complement each other's. Evans is 5'11 and shifty- Troy Brown-ish. It won't resolve the problem of giving Chad a big target to throw to 12 times a game.


    The NT (2b) would give us 12 nose tackles and one LB. Courtney Watson is a career special teamer, who we have 50 of.

    Julius Jones is a headcase, but talented. I don't want another HB.
    The JETS would have 3 Nose Tackles, and 1 Nose Tackle(McNeil) who would replace Fergie in 05 when his cap number is ridiculous, plus McNeil is very good.

    Also Julius Jones has matured big time since his problems and had a very productive season on and off the field. Jones would give the JETS a great kick returner.

    Courteny Watson is a great player, he's intense and is a leader. He's like if Bryan Cox was 6'1 and 234lbs, and alot faster. Watson will rattle the cages.

  16. #16
    TomShane
    Guest
    The free agent market is fat with CB's this year. McCalister, Shawn Springs, Bobby Taylor, Champ Bailey are all hitting the market. Taking a CB at #12 when there are so many more urgent needs is dicey.

    Personally, if they're going to risk the pick, I'd rather see them take the best available Offensive Lineman that take a corner whom they have to hope toughens up and learns to play the position. The Jets are not in position to take a player who isn't as close to a sure thing as there is in this draft. I see Gamble as having some serious problems adjusting to the NFL.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,629
    It's an overlooked fact by the press so far, but this draft, besides being arse deep in WR's has a lot of good CB's.

    Maybe as many as WR's

    I believe if the Jets stay at 12, and I think they will, and Reggie Williams or Winslow are there, they take em.

    If they trade out for 2 #2's, they take a LB with #1, a WR with 2a, a CB with 2b. Can't say who will be there cause drafts always surprise me. Would just go with the proverbial "best player available" at each position.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,927
    Carolina took Ricky Manning Jr, in the 4th round

    IMO....CB and RB are the easiest positions to fill later in the draft!!


    Get a stud lineman, or trade down to accumulate picks......that would be the smartest move!!

  19. #19
    I like your mock draft but instead of Lee Evans in the second round, would you rather want Michael Jenkins? If he is still on the board, he is 6'5 which is exactly what we need. Thoughts?

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    THE BRONX
    Posts
    3,193
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jan 18 2004, 08:55 PM
    The free agent market is fat with CB's this year. McCalister, Shawn Springs, Bobby Taylor, Champ Bailey are all hitting the market. Taking a CB at #12 when there are so many more urgent needs is dicey.

    Personally, if they're going to risk the pick, I'd rather see them take the best available Offensive Lineman that take a corner whom they have to hope toughens up and learns to play the position. The Jets are not in position to take a player who isn't as close to a sure thing as there is in this draft. I see Gamble as having some serious problems adjusting to the NFL.
    The JETS need to add some home grown young players, and they are only signing 1 or 2 FAs, and nothing big. The JETS need to trade down to get more picks, and the JETS need to draft a corner 1st.

    JeffWeaverfan - Lee Evans in college was a much better wide receiver than Micheal Jenkins, and Lee Evans isn't a small reciever, he's got good size at 5'11, 200lbs, and he is a very tough reciever. He could even start if the JETS needed him to. But having Lee Evans as a slot reciever and punter returner does a whole lot for the Team,

    1.) Chad has another weapon that can make big plays.
    2.) Takes double coverage off of Santana
    3.) Makes Santana a better reciever, because Evans would take over as punt returner and Moss would be able to concentrate full time on being a wide receiver.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us