Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Abraham trade?

All Pro
    This was posted by a well respected poster, Trades, over at Matt's Greenhouse.

"A friend of mine, who is an Eagles fan, said he heard someone on ESPN saying the Jets and Eagles are in talks regarding a trade of J-Abe. Can any of you confirm this?"

Matt then went to confirm it saying he heard about it yesterday, has anyone else heard this? Who would they be trading for?

All Pro
    who would we be getting ?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i read some speculation on one of Philly papers but there is nothing real about this rumor whatsoever IMO. Who would the Eagles give up? Freddie Mitchell and a draft pick? Makes no sense for the JETS.

All League
    The Eagles also just spend a 1st rounder on Jerome Mcdougle. I can't think of a player that i would like in return for Abe. I don't even know if the Eagles 1st rounder would be worth it.

Veteran
    What is it with the Eagles and the JETS.We draft a "tweener",
    he plays with us for a few years then we trade him to the Eagles.
    We did it with Hugh and now maybe John?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Haven't seen or heard anyhting about this but I'll investigate further and see if I can find anything. I did hear on espn news this morning that Teddy Bruschi is injured and that the Pats are being very secretive about it only saying that he will be re-evaluated next week.

Charter JI Member
    hmmm....just me now, but how about Brian Westbrook and a high draft pick. Then we trade Lamont for another draft pick....

All League
    there was an article on si.com that said philly needs a power house defensive end to apply constant pressue and get sack after sack. it also said philly SHOULD go after john abe. since hes been injured the jets should allow discussions to occur. YOU KNOW WHAT I WOULD SAY TO THIS TRADE

HELL NO!!!! LOOK WHAT OCCURED AFTER WE GAVE AWAY HUGH DOUGLAS.

All Pro
    Brian Dawkins and a 4th round draft pick? I would consider that. Then sign Troy Vincent, they would already have some chemistry. Then we could concentrate on LB in the draft.

All League
    If we trade Abe to iggles

I'm done with this team, done with football jets until woody sells team

it makes no F'n sense!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

How about Abe and #12 to raiders for #2 pick

We get LF, raiders get Abe and Rivers

All League
    I'm the Eagles, I revisit history. I call the Jets, as Banner did to get Douglas a few years ago, and make a play for reasonably priced defensive end/outside linebacker John Abraham, who's falling out of favor in New York but shows signs of Jason Taylor-like pass-rush ability.- peter king

Originally posted by afosomf@Jan 20 2004, 11:54 AM
    If we trade Abe to iggles

I'm done with this team, done with football jets until woody sells team

it makes no F'n sense!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

How about Abe and #12 to raiders for #2 pick

We get LF, raiders get Abe and Rivers
    I would not want to trade up for a wide reciever when they are so many holes on defense.

I would expect major changes in the land of chessesteaks this off season. This team needs an infusion of talent. I think the Birds will be the ones signing T. Owens. They have a boatload of cash under the cap to sign him. They are also taking Taylor/Vincent and Duce off the books. If they re-sign one or both D-Backs it will be for less of a cap hit then what they paid them this year. If you are the Eagles you realize your window has closed on this team and with the Tuna in Dallas, Gibbs in DC and a better team than their record showed with the Big Blew you better react or you will be in the basement. I'm sure Reid and the Eagles were impressed with what they saw from Abraham with 3 sacks in a half earlier this year against them? I'd prefer to keep him and see how he adjusts to his new role but you never know. He is in the shop to often for repairs?

Veteran
    I'm not above trading J Abe but for who/what is the question.

All Pro
    Originally posted by bitonti@Jan 20 2004, 11:49 AM
    i read some speculation on one of Philly papers but there is nothing real about this rumor whatsoever IMO. Who would the Eagles give up? Freddie Mitchell and a draft pick? Makes no sense for the JETS.
    Since we need another receiver, I'm not impressed with the Eagles recievers. So it wouldn't be a good idea to trade John Abraham for any of their receivers.

Maybe if we can get a draft pick for him, that would be better because at least we'll have more flexibility with another pick during Draft Day.

All League
    It was in fact posted. For now it is runored to be in the talking stage.

Maxman
    No this is not a valid trade that is being discussed. It was Peter King who said this on the radio. But he said, If I were the Eagles that is the guy that I would try to get (John Abraham). He also said he would only offer a 2nd rounder for him which was like to 60th pick overall. Then he said that he felt the Jets could get a player similar to Abraham with that pick since the draft is so loaded with front 7 players on defense.

So this is total BS. The Jets and Eagles are not discussing this. Peter King was just rambling. We are going to replace a Pro Bowler with the 60th pick huh? And this is a lock? Wow why does anyone keep veterans around then if they are so easy to replace for less money.

King also said that Philadelphia was such a great football town. I think he felt bad for them because they lost. So he wanted to keep up the Jets Outreach program by stealing Abraham from us. King went on to say that a homeless man recognized him and said PETER KING, FOOTBALL MAN.

All Pro
    it does not make much sense for the eagles, i think their problems stem from being unable to stop the run. they never seemed to recover from hollis's injury. They just spent a 1st and a 3rd last year when they moved up to draft Mcdougle. Plus the eagles are not known for throwing money around, that is for sure.
    They would not spend 5mill a year on douglass and he played every game. and was a good player against the run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Just a thought, But if Abe balked at playing LB maybe they trade him
    for a Good Young Eagle LB?? :blink:

Veteran
    Originally posted by patman@Jan 20 2004, 02:19 PM

They would not spend 5mill a year on douglass and he played every game. and was a good player against the run.
    Which turned out to be a great call.

He's been INVISIBLE in jacksonville, and has been dubbed "WHO" Douglas.