Thread: Lamont Jordan

Rookie
    I am a bit confused on the whole thought of the Jets trading Lamont Jordan. I have read numerous posts over the last few weeks suggesting the Jets to Trade Jordan and the number one to move up in the draft. Heres my question:

Although we as die hard fans know what Lamont brings to the table, do other teams even have him on their radar? I mean he has been benched for the last how many years? Of course the argument is made that the reason he is benched is because he is behind martin, this I agree with. However, is there any team in their right mind that would consider a trade for him? They know his contract is due next season, and he has absolutly nothing to show for his skills. I have read over and over "get a 2nd rounder for Jordan" or even sometimes "a low first rounder". I with out a doubt do not think any one team in this league would be willing to give anything more than a late third rounder. There is too much talent in this draft otherwise.

What teams in this league would go after Jordan? Not which teams do you think should, but thinking praciticly, which ones would go after him. Also how much do you think they will give up?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    don't think the JETS have the money to sign LJ - i like him as a player but if they can get picks its concievable ... he is a great athlete to have around though...

All Pro
    I would trade him straight up right now for Shaun rodgers and cut Josh Evans or Jason ferguson tomorrow,or maybe on june 1st which ever is better.Both players are entering the last year of their original contracts i believe,and Rodgers would help our run defense,while Jordan gives the Lions a true leadback.

All Pro
    Tinstar, Rodgers has actually played, Jordan has sat.

Jet fans dont know 1/2 as much about Jordan as any GM. they have all the game tapes, not the stupid network feeds that we get. They know that when a certain ofence is run what his responsibilities are, where the routes are supposed to be, every thing.

Banned
    i don't think jordan will recieve that much interest...he may but i don't think it will be like we get to pick the best offer...i think someone may offer something and it will be like take it and leave it...

what i would do...not saying this is what the jets will do, but i would do it...

use jordan in a trade now and get a higher 2nd pick than we would just trading down...

like...we trade jordan and the 12th pick in the first round for a 1st rounder that is lower and a 2nd round pick...

i would definatly do that...

Rookie
    Although I think he would be a great asset to teams like the Lions, Cowboys, and Cardinals I don't think any of the people that matter would trade for Jordan. It's a shame because Jordan is twice the back Shipp is and he won't get the playing time he deserves.

[SIZE=7]The Jets are not going to trade Lamont Jordon, I dont know why everyone think that this is a video game and can just trade everyone, cut who ever without a cap hit and sign the biggest name FA and some how magically put it all under the cap.

I think we draft a new RB next year after his contract is up and concentrate on are needs this year. Now I would love to see Henderson try to bring over McCalister, before we get TO but I want to see what are money situation is before that so we can resign the big four(Pennington, KM, Ellis, and Abraham)

Waterboy
    If we cant get even a 3rd for him its not worth the effort of trading him, the only other guy on the roster who could backup Martin is Askew, and he was only an average back at Michigan.

Rookie
    Originally posted by bitonti@Feb 4 2004, 10:23 PM
    don't think the JETS have the money to sign LJ - i like him as a player but if they can get picks its concievable ... he is a great athlete to have around though...
    I don't think the Jets have the money to esign him either, however I also don't think any team will be willing to give up enough for any trades to be practicle.

I say keep the guy on board, if the jets can manage to grab a high third, then there is a possibility of a trade. For anything else keep him, he is an asset to our offense. Martin only has a little fuel left.

All Pro
    It comes down to this, do you (management) believe the jets have an excelent chance to make the playoffs, you keep him. If your looking at playing 3 rookies and a couple of first year starters on D, with an eye to the future then trade him.

All Pro
    well it was rumored on every site that had a rumorsection last year around the draft that houston had interest in him actually. Im sure some of you must remember.

Actually the rumors were that the texans wanted to give us the third or fourth pick for lamont and our highest first round pick.

Might have been a real rumor or fake, but the fact is I believe lamont should be a starter somewere. And if we didnt have a starting rb i would love to spend a 3rd pick on a possible franchise rb. There has been a time were evrysingle fan here has wanetd to start lamont over curtis martin!!!! And martin a hof-er.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It's a shame Lamont never got a shot here! When Martin was
    drafted in the 3rd rd in 95 he got 368 carries! Lamont got 39!
    If the Jets weren't going to give him a shot why waste a number 2
    pick??They could have taken Chambers or a LB or anyone that
    would have helped the Team! Instead they did both the Team
    and Lamont a injustice by wasting some years for him and a
    need for the Team!! A Martin backup could have been a undrafted
    free Agent!!

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetsFan 51@Feb 5 2004, 02:46 AM
    [SIZE=7]The Jets are not going to trade Lamont Jordon, I dont know why everyone think that this is a video game and can just trade everyone, cut who ever without a cap hit and sign the biggest name FA and some how magically put it all under the cap.

I think we draft a new RB next year after his contract is up and concentrate on are needs this year. Now I would love to see Henderson try to bring over McCalister, before we get TO but I want to see what are money situation is before that so we can resign the big four(Pennington, KM, Ellis, and Abraham)
    This isnt like trading Vinny you salary cap guru you. Jordan has a ridiculously SMALL contract and BONUS making him very easy to trade, the only problem being what we get for him. Why would you draft a RB after his contract is up? So we get a big ol' nuttin for him? If we can get a 3rd, i say do it now cuz im sick of him only getting 45 carries a year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    he's worth more than a 3rd... the guy is a kevan barlow type of prospect

ultra low miles

even just to have him be the lead blocker on kickoffs he's worth having around

All League
    My understanding is that Lamont is a RFA. If we give him an offer of 1.3 ( like Coles) a team would have to surrender a No. 1 choice, If we offer 1.9 the compensation for another team is a one and a three. The teams that would have interest are :

THE Patriots: Lamont is younger and faster than Anton Smith, his pass catching ability gives the Pats another dimension. Belichek and Weiss know the guy. The Patriots have two first round picks and two seconds. The Jets would get the last pick in the first round. The patriots would do it in a heart beat.

The Cowboys: Richie Anderson is campaigning. Parcells knows the guy. Parcells signed Martin giving up a first and third, that worked out okay, will history repeat itself.

The Lions : Trades are rare, the draft is running back poor, a second round pick is decent compensation to solve a RB problem.

The Redskins: Joe Gibbs gets a big fast back from Maryland, SWAP , for Rod Gardner. The best I can do is give up a third round with Lamont for Gardner, it may not be enough...If you want a blockbuster add Becht (Gibbs likes multiple Big Tight ends) for Ladell Betts.

All League
    Jetorange, Lamont aint a free agent until next year. People want to trade him because he could be gone NEXT year, so we might as well get something for him now.

All League
    Originally posted by savage69@Feb 5 2004, 10:07 AM
    It's a shame Lamont never got a shot here! When Martin was
    drafted in the 3rd rd in 95 he got 368 carries! Lamont got 39!
    If the Jets weren't going to give him a shot why waste a number 2
    pick??They could have taken Chambers or a LB or anyone that
    would have helped the Team! Instead they did both the Team
    and Lamont a injustice by wasting some years for him and a
    need for the Team!! A Martin backup could have been a undrafted
    free Agent!!
    I agree..

It's hard to believe that Jordan has run his contract, without having been given a chance to see if he could be the feature back.

2002 was the time to give his shot. Martin had two sprained ankles so bad that he didn't practice during the week, and when he came into camp, they were still bothering him.

I believe they were still bothering him in the beginning of the season this year. I was wondering early in the season if he was done. He just wasn't cutting to the holes. His stats showed it to.

It just baffles me why Jordan wasn't used more. I know Martin's a tough dude but some where along the line someone has to make a decision in the players interest, or the long term interest of the team.

I hope this kid doesn't become a star in New England.