Thread: Ny Jets drafting skills

Would all of you agree that we are the worst drafting team (tied with the bengals) in nfl history. How do we not even have sufficient back up at the linebacker position..It really irks me because you look at the depth of team like the patriots and the only question I have is "where did we go wrong"

All League
    Hiring TB!!!

Tuna had his period the day he Ok'd BAdway to Woodster.

TomShane
    Elite players: 0

Pro Bowlers: 0

Starters: 3 (potentially 5-- McGraw, DRob, Hobson, Moss, McKenzie)

That is an abyssmal, wretched, inexcusable drafting record. AND that's not even bringing free-agents into the equation.

Veteran
    This is nothing compared to the days of Roger Vick, Mike Haight, Dave Cadigan, Blair Thomas etc..yeah I'm talking about the BUST days, the worst drafting period of this franchise ever. I honestly believe the Jets have talent to compete, but we obviously have a bigger problem and it's coaching, coaching coaching!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I wouldn't say that The current Jets regime/front office is the worst in the league. I also wouldn't put them at the top.I'll tell you that.

If you are talking about the history of the draft and the history of The Jets. Then, Yeah, We have not been that good. In their history, The Jets have always drafted good players but missed out on the great player. Sometimes they ended up with real lemons.

It's like Ken O Brien(good Qb) over Dan Marino(all time great).

It's like Al Toon(very good player) over Jerry Rice( all time great)

Or maybe the greatest example, Browning Nagle(worst qb ever) over Brett Favre(all time great). The Jets didn't pass on Favre but they missed out big time by not moving up to get him and Ron Wolf was here, went to Green Bay and his first goal was to trade for Favre. He gave up first rounders for a second round pick in Favre.

It's really hard to completely judge Bradway's drafts. ALL NFL teams have good picks and bad picks. Not every player drafted pans out.

The Jets under Bradway and company have not drafted the impact player yet. They have drafted some good players though. Santana Moss and Kareem Mckenzie are borderline pro bowlers. The jury is still out on Robertson and Hobson, They could turn out to be average or impact players. We don't know yet. If they turn out to be very good players, Bradway's draft record looks alot better.

The Bryan Thomas pick thus far has been the worst but I am not ready to close the door yet on that one either. Lamont Jordan was a very good pick and I loved it when it happened and i still like it.

Free Agency? The Jets have done the same thing, They have picked up decent players but no stars. The cap may have something to do with that but guys like Josh Evans and Donnie Abraham were decent signings but guys like Conway, Nutten,etc were bad moves. Band aid players signed because of the cap. The cap situation that Bradway was left with by Bill Parcells is the reason that The Jets have to settle for mediocre to above average players. I am not making excuses for Bradway because I was infuriated with last years offseason but it's the truth. it's also the reason that good players like Coles, Thomas, Glenn, Coleman etc were let go.

Bradway and company have had some decent finds like Jason Glenn and Brandon Moore. Two players they picked up off the scrap heap. Bradway also signed and traded for guys like Jonathan Carter and Chad Morton. These were good moves.

If I was giving this regime a grade for the draft and free agency, I'd give them a C plus or an incomplete. Hard to judge it completely right now.

Let's see how last years players develop and let's see what they produce this offseason. You never know, What it's all said and done, The grade could turn to be a good one ar an absolute failure. I wouldn't label it either way right now. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle.

Banned
    I am a Herm supporter. But I have to say this is the biggest area of concern. The bottom line is that the talent level of this team has dropped over the last few years. While the jury is still out on some of these guys, I think the feeling that most of us have is that they are not going to improve all that considrably. I hope I'm wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    i dont see how u can say this team is a bad drafting team, as far as i am concerned there were a LOT of quality players that went through this team.

Douglas
    Pennington
    Jordan
    Hobson
    Ferguson
    Brady
    Fabini
    Mckenzie
    Glenn
    Coleman
    Coles
    moss
    abraham
    ellis

and this is just of the top of my head, there are lots more.

Waterboy
    Bradways first draft 01 id say was quality 2 stars Moss & Mckenzie & a potenial star Jordan in the first 3 rounds.

Veteran
    parcells didnt have great Drafts with the Jets, if you remember correctly. ( i am excluding the 2000 draft b/c im not sure that anyone really knows who was behind those picks. Some credit Parcells, others credit Groh.

Not including the 2000 draft.

2 (#57) Thomas, Randy OG Mississippi State
    3 (#90) Loverne, David OT San Jose State
    4 (#123) Wiltz, Jason DT Nebraska
    5 (#162) Jones, Jermaine DB Northwestern State
    6 (#183) Pit Megna, Marc LB Richmond
    6 (#197) Machado, J.P. OG Illinois
    7 (#223) Young , Ryan OT Kansas State
    7 (#235) Syvrud, J.J. DE-LB Jamestown

2 (#56) Phi Boose, Dorian DE Washington State
    3 (#67) StL Frost, Scott DB Nebraska
    3 (#87) Pit Williams, Kevin DB Oklahoma State
    4 (#111) Fabini, Jason OT Cincinnati
    5 (#134) Phi Dailey, Casey LB Northwestern
    5 (#141) Karczewski, Doug OG Virginia
    5 (#146) TB Spence, Blake TE Oregon
    5 (#149) Pit Bateman, Eric OT Brigham Young
    6 (#163) Phi Ogbogu, Eric DE Maryland
    6 (#174) Brazzell, Chris WR Angelo State
    6 (#183) Den Johnson, Dustin RB Brigham Young
    7 (#195) StL Hart, Lawrence TE Southern

1 (#8) TB Farrior, James LB Virginia
    2 (#31) Terry, Rick DT North Carolina
    3 (#88) Ward, Dedric WR Northern Iowa
    4 (#102) Day, Terry DE Mississippi State
    4 (#104) TB Johnson, Leon RB North Carolina
    5 (#131) Burns, Lamont OG East Carolina
    5(#145) Mia Austin, Raymond DB Tennessee
    6 (#164) Scharf, Tim LB Northwestern
    6(#191) Den Clements, Chuck QB Houston
    7 (#202) Rosga, Steve DB Colorado
    7(#229) Ferguson, Jason DT Georgia

5 starters from the bunch.... and none of them are even that good, except for Randy Thomas

wickedtwisted
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Feb 5 2004, 01:46 PM
    I wouldn't say that The current Jets regime/front office is the worst in the league. I also wouldn't put them at the top.I'll tell you that.

If you are talking about the history of the draft and the history of The Jets. Then, Yeah, We have not been that good. In their history, The Jets have always drafted good players but missed out on the great player. Sometimes they ended up with real lemons.

It's like Ken O Brien(good Qb) over Dan Marino(all time great).

It's like Al Toon(very good player) over Jerry Rice( all time great)

Or maybe the greatest example, Browning Nagle(worst qb ever) over Brett Favre(all time great). The Jets didn't pass on Favre but they missed out big time by not moving up to get him and Ron Wolf was here, went to Green Bay and his first goal was to trade for Favre. He gave up first rounders for a second round pick in Favre.

It's really hard to completely judge Bradway's drafts. ALL NFL teams have good picks and bad picks. Not every player drafted pans out.

The Jets under Bradway and company have not drafted the impact player yet. They have drafted some good players though. Santana Moss and Kareem Mckenzie are borderline pro bowlers. The jury is still out on Robertson and Hobson, They could turn out to be average or impact players. We don't know yet. If they turn out to be very good players, Bradway's draft record looks alot better.

The Bryan Thomas pick thus far has been the worst but I am not ready to close the door yet on that one either. Lamont Jordan was a very good pick and I loved it when it happened and i still like it.

Free Agency? The Jets have done the same thing, They have picked up decent players but no stars. The cap may have something to do with that but guys like Josh Evans and Donnie Abraham were decent signings but guys like Conway, Nutten,etc were bad moves. Band aid players signed because of the cap. The cap situation that Bradway was left with by Bill Parcells is the reason that The Jets have to settle for mediocre to above average players. I am not making excuses for Bradway because I was infuriated with last years offseason but it's the truth. it's also the reason that good players like Coles, Thomas, Glenn, Coleman etc were let go.

Bradway and company have had some decent finds like Jason Glenn and Brandon Moore. Two players they picked up off the scrap heap. Bradway also signed and traded for guys like Jonathan Carter and Chad Morton. These were good moves.

If I was giving this regime a grade for the draft and free agency, I'd give them a C plus or an incomplete. Hard to judge it completely right now.

Let's see how last years players develop and let's see what they produce this offseason. You never know, What it's all said and done, The grade could turn to be a good one ar an absolute failure. I wouldn't label it either way right now. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle.
    Great Post.

I feel Brian Thomas will turn himself around. The article i read in Jets Conf. interviewed him (Jan?). He was talking about how this year was alot more like a rookie year. Next year should be better.

I dont understand why we picked Thomas but that was before I followed the Jets as closely as now.

THIS YEAR IS THE YEAR! We will know what coaching, managment does because they have promised a turnaround and have openly said they will be redoing the defense.

If we have a crapola year next year, Bradway must go. I dont know about Herm. I've always liked the guy and he seems like a good coach.