Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It didn't take long: High School RB talks NFL

All League
    OU's top recruit Peterson says he's ready for NFL

11:52 PM CST on Saturday, February 7, 2004

Palestine running back Adrian Peterson, the nation's top college football recruit, has dreamed of playing in the NFL since he was 8 years old. A ruling by a federal judge Thursday means Peterson could be closer to making that dream a reality.

The decision struck down the NFL's rule limiting the league's draft to players at least three years out of high school. Suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett sued the league to change the rule.

"I was rooting for him," said Peterson, who signed a national letter of intent to attend Oklahoma on Wednesday.

If the ruling holds up on appeal, it could clear the way for teenagers such as Peterson to enter the NFL directly out of high school. It also creates a new option for college underclassmen. But Peterson had no plans as of Friday night to make himself eligible for April's draft.

There is no groundwork in place for Peterson to test the NFL waters without sacrificing his NCAA eligibility.

But Peterson said he would keep his options open and thinks he could play in the NFL now.

"That would be something special to do," Peterson said. "Personally, I think I could. But that's just me. ...It wouldn't be wise for a lineman. I'll say that. But it's totally different with running backs and receivers. I'd have to see what they offered me."

High school athletes in sports such as basketball and baseball have been able to go straight to the professional ranks for years. Football has always been considered different because of the physical nature of the sport.

The ruling raises the question if younger players will be ready to compete in the NFL.

"If a high school running back can make that jump, I think Adrian has as good a chance as anybody," Palestine coach Jeff Harrell said. "He would have to look at everything and talk to people who know more about it. ...Those are the best players in the world. It's a big jump to Division I. Jumping to the pros is as big a jump."

The physical level is what would be most difficult about making the leap, said Peterson, who is 6-3, 208 pounds. But he said his speed would help the adjustment. Peterson rushed for 2,315 yards and 32 touchdowns this season. He also plans to run track at Oklahoma and has been timed in the 100-meter at 10.32 seconds and 20.34 in the 200.

"I'm not that big, but I'm fast," Peterson said. "I'm pretty sure I can outrun the whole Dallas Cowboys team."

Peterson traveled to Ohio on Saturday to accept the Touchdown Club of Columbus Offensive Player of the Year award and was also up for the organization's High School Player of the Year honor. He said if the ruling holds up and he has a standout freshman season at Oklahoma, he would definitely have to consider his NFL options.

"If they offered me $5 million, hey, I'm for that," Peterson said. "How could you turn that down?"

Banned
    No way you're getting 5 mil buddy. You'd be lucky to be taken before the 6th round. Scouts already have enough trouble trying to predict which COLLEGE players will be able to succeed in the NFL. Very few scouts, coaches, or GMs would be willing to take the risk on a high draft pick by taking a high school kid.

The kid is better off going to school for FREE (or for profit, wink wink nudge nudge), improving his stock, and getting a 2nd or 3rd round signing bonus (assuming he's lucky) as well as become a more experienced player (and thus a better player, able to earn better dollars as a free agent) rather than declaring now, being a late day 2 pick, and being cut half-way through preseason.

Bitter
    Go ahead and let the little punk get his dreams smashed to pieces. This is the kind of crap I'm talking about.

Banned
    i actually hope the kid comes out...just so he can be drafted really late, if drafted at all and then he sees that minimum wage(yeah, minimum wage) contract he gets and maybe that will stop others from even trying the same. Same reason im hoping clarrett doesn't get picked until the 3rd or so round..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by huskeralk@Feb 8 2004, 03:56 AM
    Go ahead and let the little punk get his dreams smashed to pieces. This is the kind of crap I'm talking about.
    agreed...turn pro, get shut out on draft day. lose your eligibility & go work for the public works department digging ditches for $8.50 an hour....

5 Mill....what a jerk

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

In the late 50's I saw Jim Brown play a HS game at Manassett
    HS! At that Time I think he could have gone straight to the Pro's
    but not at this Time in the NFL!!

This sucks. The NFL is becoming the NBA now. Keep kids out of the league...

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: insane insane insane...this is not going from High School to the NBA....this will never go well for these kids......I can't see a player from high school having success in the NFL....Clarett played one year at Ohio State and he is not ready.......a kid straight from high school?????

NONSENSE

All Pro
    Once again, this is what everyone in the NFL was afraid of.... BUT.... The NFL has no right to keep 18 year olds from playing in their league, since they are a monopoly.

Veteran
    can you imagine an 18yr old kid lining up against ray lewis!! the kid would literally get his head torn off his body!!

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: no right to keep 18 year olds out of the league?? A monopoly???

These kids are heading for a brick wall. I played college ball...my cousin played for the miami Hurricanes and then the redskins/Ravens.....he was a huge offensive lineman that went to the pros after (4) years of college.

I have a younger cousin that plays for the Florida Gators and even though he has enough skills to make the Gator roster, he will not be in the pros after next year (he is a junior). The reality is that people do not know how really difficult to make the pros.

They should bring back that HBO show about traning camps to show these kids.

This will NEVER ever work....the NFL is not the NBA...playground skills are not gonna get u by on the gridiron.

Lebron James/Kevin Garnett are phenoms but what u don't see (and I'm talking about the NBA) are the many that thought they could make it and find out the reality.

I know about the damn law but if it was up to me, the kids would have to play at least two (2) years of college ball to be able to go pro. Two years would give experience and give the kid time to think twice about his future.

I am personally disgusted about this because I know how many shattered dreams there will be...if thats what it takes to wake these kids up....so be it.

All League

It's weird, I don't follow the NBA real close, but I went to the site of their new developmental league and found that all the players were over 22 years old :o

Actually, most of the players were between 25 and 31, which was a suprise. I think the NBA is trying to send a message to the teenage players: Come out if you want, but if you fail, we won't even try to help develop you into you're 22 or older.

Point?

I think the NFL will go just as hard after these young players that don't make it. If a high school player fails to make the jump, not only will the NFL put in rules barring that player from playing in NFL Europe, but I also believe they'll use their very strong ties to the Arena Football League and the Canadian Football League, to make sure no teens seek refuge in those league's.

These players better be very careful here. In hoops, if a teen comes out and misses, he can play in some independent league around the world (Turkey, Spain, Greece, Argentina, ect.). That won't be so with football, as the NFL has at least a partial monetary stake in every major football league around the globe (NFLE, AFL and CFL)

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: very great points made Riggins!!

wickedtwisted
    I think the NFL will have to start some kind of a farm system. At the time I was happy about Clarett but now I'm seeing why he shouldn't be allowed in. This just not good for the NFL in general.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Riggins44@Feb 8 2004, 11:29 AM
    Point?

I think the NFL will go just as hard after these young players that don't make it. If a high school player fails to make the jump, not only will the NFL put in rules barring that player from playing in NFL Europe, but I also believe they'll use their very strong ties to the Arena Football League and the Canadian Football League, to make sure no teens seek refuge in those league's.

These players better be very careful here. In hoops, if a teen comes out and misses, he can play in some independent league around the world (Turkey, Spain, Greece, Argentina, ect.). That won't be so with football, as the NFL has at least a partial monetary stake in every major football league around the globe (NFLE, AFL and CFL)
    An interesting idea, but one that may be difficult to implement in practice.

The NFL has been able to avoid labor law challenges (like antitrust) because the CBA has provided it with a shield from the courts. The loophole that Clarett found was that age/eligibility requirements were only included in the bylaws but never included in the CBA itself. Although it's unclear whether Clarett would've been successful if eligibility was included in the CBA as it should've been, the fact that it wasn't made his case a slam dunk

But the Arena league enjoys no such protection. Any newly implemented age-based restrictions would be scrutinized and would fall because no judge would agree that there's a strong policy reason to support age exclusion (see, the NBA). As for the CFL and NFLE - well who knows what those crazy foreigners are or are not allowed to do.

All League
    Originally posted by wickedtwisted@Feb 8 2004, 12:02 PM
    I think the NFL will have to start some kind of a farm system. At the time I was happy about Clarett but now I'm seeing why he shouldn't be allowed in. This just not good for the NFL in general.
    I disagree WT. The closest thing the NFL has to a farm system is NFL Europe, and half the owners in the NFL want to scrap it. Matter of fact, I truely believe that the NFL will follow the lead of the NBA and bar players 22 or younger from playing in NFLE.

Baseball and hockey have minor leagues and they are absloute cash drains for teams. Anybody recall the New York Islanders sharing a minor league team with the Blues, to cut costs?

NFL will do nothing to provide a safety net for the teenagers. Matter of fact, as Jets Freak pointed out, when these players find out how hard the jump to the NFL is, most will wish they never even tried. And, the NFL and Tagliabue will merely laugh in their face.

Here's some insider info on NFLE: Forget all the great American players NFLE has produced over a decade. NFL owners have already given up on the league from the developmental aspect. The only reason the league is still floating (barely), is the hopes that the NFL will one day get an influx of International players (ala the NBA and NHL).

To that end, it already starting, as a German DE (Ritzman-UTenn) and Russian DT (Oholashaky-Oregon) will almost certainly be drafted this season.

In sum: Why should the NFL create a true minor league? Why pay for something that you can get for free? If a few 18 or 19 year olds have their careers ruined by jumping early, the NFL will proudly utter these words: "We told you so, sucker" :blink:

P.S: Flow, I just wonder how the NBA get's away with not permitting players younger than 22 playing in their minor league?....That, I believe, is a fact.....Don't ask me to explain it, but Stern did it--barred the teens.

All Pro
    I agree that the best high school player is not physically developed to play in the NFL... But like I said, the NFL is the only professional 100 yard league in the United States. Thus, whether I or you like it or not, then Clarett has the right to try and be in the league.
    We'll see, I don't see a lot of kids jumping, but I aslo see Clarett being a Lawrence Phillips like bust, so who knows really.
    Other then educate, there's not a lot the NFL can do... they can appeal, but I can't see any judge would rule with them...
    I still believe that the best thing for the NFL is Clarett being a bust, which is not good, I very rarely root for people to fail. But, if he succeeds then many more players will make the jump...

Also, we are going to see a rise in dirty agents trying to convince kids to make the jump... That's probably the most dispicable part of all this.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I can see it now, they will be a huge increase in steriod use by teens in high school wanting to hit it big young in the NFL..icreased weight training, less worry of academia, this league is heading down a path they avoided for many years, that of the NBA,

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by wickedtwisted@Feb 8 2004, 01:02 PM
    I think the NFL will have to start some kind of a farm system.
    The NFL already has a farm system, nah, I'll be nice today.

This whole situation has to have the owners really pissed off. If they stick together (good luck for someone trying to prove collusion) these young 'uns will never get a shot at the real big money.

All it will take however, is one idiot (Al Davis???) to sign one of these guys to a huge contract and potentially open the floodgates. It's going to be very interesting how the whole thing plays out.

All Pro
    This is much ado about nothing.

The draft is a crap shoot. The in exact science has had many notable busts over years Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandriach, etc. Now factor in the crapshoot

Factor in the cap implications of drafting a player and having them suck, I do not see many GMs gambling with picks from the first four or even five rounds. These are not the teams of the pre-salary cap era that could maybe spend a late 2nd on a HS QB and devlop them over a period of years and have them as the ultimate replacement for Joe Montana in 5 or 6 years.

As a GM and/or coach for the San Diego Chargers, you can draft Rhett Bomar the top QB prospect in the nation and give him a 7 year 49 million dollar contract with a 10 million bonus (Carlson Palmer's contract), do you? Would you risk your future job security by drafting Bomar or maybe go with Eli Manning? No. Ypu take Manning.

The Lebron type contracts will be few and far between for HS players going to the NFL. They will be on line for more of the Dan Koppen type contracts that come with a 300K bonus and kiss half that away to taxes.