Thread: Ramifications if Steelers go Rivers at 11

Veteran
    Does this open up a player we might not have thought we could get? That would make 3 QBs taken before we pick, leaving us with a #9 ranked non QB player. It will also be a major run at QBs leaving Miami thinking it may need to move up to get last remaining quality QB in Losman?

Thoughts????

Originally posted by southernjet@Feb 16 2004, 12:51 PM
    Does this open up a player we might not have thought we could get? That would make 3 QBs taken before we pick, leaving us with a #9 ranked non QB player. It will also be a major run at QBs leaving Miami thinking it may need to move up to get last remaining quality QB in Losman?

Thoughts????
    The more QBs or RBs that are picked, the more players that we might want will slide to us. The only downside is that a QB might have more trade value if we want to move down. Rivers might make excellent trade bait for a team like Miami or Green Bay that is in desparate need of a QB.

All Pro
    Which are the three teams that you think will select a QB before we get our 12th pick because originally it was thought that Arizona would select a QB but D. Green says NO ?

Veteran
    Originally posted by MrSFJFC@Feb 16 2004, 01:01 PM
    Which are the three teams that you think will select a QB before we get our 12th pick because originally it was thought that Arizona would select a QB but D. Green says NO ?
    assuming arizona bluffing or trades up from other teams....

Veteran
    Miami doesn't have their #2 this year (the Patriots own it) so they don't have much ammo to move up. The Packers pick so far down that trading into their slot is problematic.

Woud be better for the Jets if Steelers take Rivers and maybe Roy Williams drops down, especially if Mike Williams comes out of USC.

Still think we should trade down five or six spots, take D.J. Williams, load up on secondary and o-line help in the rest of the draft and sign whichever receiver (McCareins or Bennett) the Titans can't lock up.

Originally posted by regen@Feb 16 2004, 01:03 PM
    Miami doesn't have their #2 this year (the Patriots own it) so they don't have much ammo to move up. The Packers pick so far down that trading into their slot is problematic.

Woud be better for the Jets if Steelers take Rivers and maybe Roy Williams drops down, especially if Mike Williams comes out of USC.

Still think we should trade down five or six spots, take D.J. Williams, load up on secondary and o-line help in the rest of the draft and sign whichever receiver (McCareins or Bennett) the Titans can't lock up.
    Miami does have players though. Draft picks allow more flexibility but player trades can and do happen.

Another big Wildcard will be who trades for Henson, if anyone. I know Henson wants to be traded for so he can pick his team, but Lets face it, it may not work out like Drew wants it, so he goes back in to the draft he can be another QB taken in the top 10

(though I doubt it will go that far someone will pony up a late 1st or second rounder, Im hoping that our 32nd pick gets hot for this&#33

Veteran
    I know the idea of signing Terrell Owens or getting Roy Williams at #12 in the draft is tempting, but should that be where we put so much cap money? I thought the rationale for not keeping Coles last year was that you don't devote so much cap space to WRs, you save it for QB, DE, LB, and CB.

What do you guys think about McCareins or Bennett as a free agent pick-up? Both are big receivers who can go over the middle. McCareins actually has good speed and Bennett has great size and amazing hands. I think they'd both work well with Santana as the deep threat opening up the middle for them. No way cap strapped Titans can sign both.

All Pro
    I have a feeling the Giants are going to trade with San Diego and select Manning, San Diego will then select Gallery at #4.

I think Oakland takes Rothelsberger at #2 and Arizona will take Fitzgerald at #3.

Originally posted by pope@Feb 16 2004, 01:20 PM
    I have a feeling the Giants are going to trade with San Diego and select Manning, San Diego will then select Gallery at #4.

I think Oakland takes Rothelsberger at #2 and Arizona will take Fitzgerald at #3.
    The Giants need a stud Olineman, George Young will get them one @ 4 I would not be suprised if the Raiders take a QB over Fitz, I bet SD does trade out of the one spot, but who will it be with?

Who wants Manning I cant find a team in the top 10 that would need manning over the guy they currently have.

San Diego
    Oakland
    Arizona
    New York Giants
    Washington

Detroit
    Atlanta
    Cleveland
    Jacksonville
    Houston

All Pro
    Originally posted by James Hasty+Feb 16 2004, 12:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (James Hasty @ Feb 16 2004, 12:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--southernjet@Feb 16 2004, 12:51 PM

Thoughts????
    The more QBs or RBs that are picked, the more players that we might want will slide to us. The only downside is that a QB might have more trade value if we want to move down. Rivers might make excellent trade bait for a team like Miami or Green Bay that is in desparate need of a QB. [/b][/quote]
    How is green bay in desperate need of a qb, that likely will not see the field for two years?

Veteran
    Originally posted by PatsFan1@Feb 16 2004, 01:27 PM
    George Young will get them one @ 4
    The only players George Young is getting the Giants is Bronco Nagurski, Bob Hayes, Johnny Unitas and Korey Stringer.
    Young died 2 years ago :o

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This theortical situation should cause some flames. lol:

How about the Jets trade Chad Pennington and their #1 next year for the #1 Pick? Remember, Payton is a great QB amd he torched us a number of times and Eli is supposed to be better (who knows)? He would also be cheaper over the short term 4-5 years, as Chad is now due REAL Big money (or he will want Big money, either way).

Do I want this to happen? Hell no. But is it possible?? I don&#39;t know....wierder things have happened.

Who woulda though ARod would end up a Yankee??

Originally posted by southernjet+Feb 16 2004, 02:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (southernjet @ Feb 16 2004, 02:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--PatsFan1@Feb 16 2004, 01:27 PM
    George Young will get them one @ 4
    The only players George Young is getting the Giants is Bronco Nagurski, Bob Hayes, Johnny Unitas and Korey Stringer.
    Young died 2 years ago :o [/b][/quote]
    LOL they should be so lucky to still have him, but of course I ment Acorsi

Veteran
    Trade Pennington? Trade a homegrown franchise QB just coming into his own for a rookie? That is stone cold insane.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Trading Chad is like having the Red Sox winning the world series....insanity&#33;&#33;&#33;

There also is no way that the Giants will not go with an O-lineman inthe 1st round....especially with Coughlin as head coach.

Banned
    Trade Pennington AND give up our #1 next year?

Thanks, you&#39;ve now officially said the dumbest thing I&#39;ve ever heard.

Veteran
    pleasde get back on topic???? impact of rivers going at 11???

Waterboy
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Feb 17 2004, 02:48 AM
    :ph34r: There also is no way that the Giants will not go with an O-lineman inthe 1st round....especially with Coughlin as head coach.
    Really?? What makes you say that?? Do you know who T Coughlin&#39;s 1st pick as coach of JAX was, with the 2nd overall pick of that years draft?? He was also taken ahead of S McNair who was considered the premier QB of his draft class. Yep, the dynamic and prolific Tony Boselli.

Bottom line, if anyone is more apt to draft a lineman with the #4 overall pick it&#39;s Coughlin. All Coughlin needs to do is look at tapes where K Collins has had success and then look at tapes where he was aweful and there will be 1 obvious difference. Pass blocking.

Originally posted by Warfish@Feb 16 2004, 02:43 PM
    This theortical situation should cause some flames. lol:

How about the Jets trade Chad Pennington and their #1 next year for the #1 Pick? Remember, Payton is a great QB amd he torched us a number of times and Eli is supposed to be better (who knows)? He would also be cheaper over the short term 4-5 years, as Chad is now due REAL Big money (or he will want Big money, either way).

Do I want this to happen? Hell no. But is it possible?? I don&#39;t know....wierder things have happened.

Who woulda though ARod would end up a Yankee??
    Eli may go as low as pick # 3 (imagine how much cheaper he would be there than # 1). Penny and next year&#39;s #1 is a big gamble for an unproven player anyway.