Thread: Interesting infor on drafts full of 1st round WR's

Waterboy
    This draft is definately going to have at least 5 first round WR's. This is not a terribly common thing but there have been drafts like this before. Here is this years crop of 1st round potentials:

L Fitzgerald
    M Williams
    R Williams
    R Williams
    M Clayton
    L Evans
    R Woods

Here are some historical ones:

2001-6 1st rouders in the order they were taken
    D Terrell
    K Robinson
    R Gardner
    S Moss
    F Mitchell
    R Wayne

Notable later round draft picks in 2001-C Johnson, S Smith, C Chambers, J McCareins

2000-5 1st round WR's

P Warrick
    P Burress
    T Taylor
    Sylvester Morris
    R Jay Soward

Notable receivers drafted in later rounds-L Coles, Jerry Porter, D Jackson

1996-5 1st round WR's

Keyshawn Johnson
    T Glenn
    E Kennison
    M Harrison
    E Moulds

Notable late round picks-T Owens, J Horn, A Toomer

1988-5 1st rounders

Tim Brown
    Sterling Sharpe
    M Irvin
    Anthony Miller
    Aaron Cox

Notable later round picks in that draft-None of note, Flipper Anderson probably breing the best.

This has never happened anytime prior 1988 all the way back to at least 1967. But this year there will certainly be 5 WR's taken, probably 6 or 7.

As you can see, there were no mind blowing receivers with the exception of M Harrison that ever came out of a draft like this. I would classify them as follows:

Absolutely outstanding-M Harrison
    Great receivers, some even HOF level-Irvin, T Brown, E Moulds
    Very good receivers-S Sharpe, K Johnson, P Burress(potentially), S Moss
    Avg-good receivers-K Robinson, R Gardner, R Wayne, T Taylor, T Glenn
    underachievers or busts-A Miller, A Cox, E Kennison, S Morris, R Jay Soward, P Warrick, D Terrell, F Mitchell

As you can see, more often than not these receivers end up being in the range of busts to just good. Only 4 out of 20 have actually reached an outstanding level of play. And even in the 2000 draft, none of them turned out to be great with only P Burress showing a flash 2 years ago to go with alot of poor play otherwise. So my question is, who is going to be the busts from this years crop. And don't be so quick to say it will be L Evans or M Clayton just because they project lower, that is not always the case. In fact if history will dictate this draft, they would end up being the better NFL players.

This is all just alot of ideas and thoughts in the air and is not meant to imply anything on todays crop, but if anything is true, it is that history repeats itself. So I just hope the Jets get this one right.

Banned
    I don't agree with your classifications. Anthony Miller was a pretty good reciever, and Sterling Sharpe was damn sure better than just a very good reciever. Had injuries not derailed his career, he'd probably be Hall of Fame caliber.

The 2000 class was just plain bad. R.J. Soward? Who the hell is that?

Waterboy
    Originally posted by The Troll@Mar 1 2004, 06:35 PM
    I don't agree with your classifications. Anthony Miller was a pretty good reciever, and Sterling Sharpe was damn sure better than just a very good reciever. Had injuries not derailed his career, he'd probably be Hall of Fame caliber.

The 2000 class was just plain bad. R.J. Soward? Who the hell is that?
    For a 1st round pick A Miller's #'s were not very astounding which is why I classified him where I did. Notice it says underachievers OR busts. Miller was more of an underachiever. As far as Sharpe, yeah he had all the tools and was great but his career was cut short. It's not fair to Irvin/Brwon/Harrison to label Sharpe as HOF level, but he was very good when he played. Moulds probably should be in the very good category as well instead of the greats category especially after last year. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he has been great for years before even without Bledsoe.

Waterboy
    Bump for the night crew.

All League
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Mar 1 2004, 06:24 PM
    This has never happened anytime prior 1988 all the way back to at least 1967. But this year there will certainly be 5 WR's taken, probably 6 or 7.
    Boozer I would not be surprised to see as many as 8 WR taken in the first Round. What will even be more surprising is after those 8 are taken 3 to 7 more will be taken in the 2nd round. That's where the busts will be !

Yes that's right maybe as mant as 15 receivers will be taken in the 1st two rounds !

Waterboy
    Originally posted by WestCoastMole+Mar 2 2004, 12:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WestCoastMole @ Mar 2 2004, 12:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Boozer76@Mar 1 2004, 06:24 PM
    This has never happened anytime prior 1988 all the way back to at least 1967. But this year there will certainly be 5 WR&#39;s taken, probably 6 or 7.
    Boozer I would not be surprised to see as many as 8 WR taken in the first Round. What will even be more surprising is after those 8 are taken 3 to 7 more will be taken in the 2nd round. That&#39;s where the busts will be &#33;

Yes that&#39;s right maybe as mant as 15 receivers will be taken in the 1st two rounds &#33; [/b][/quote]
    I agree on your assesment on how many WR&#39;s will be taken in the 1st 2 rounds. I disagree that the busts are limited to the 2nd round or later. In fact, I will go out on a limb and say one of the top 4 will be a bust. History just tells you it will happen. And don&#39;t think for a second that NFL people weren&#39;t as high on some of them as they are on this class. It is absolutely not true. For example:

David Terrell was penned in to be a star. He might have been well on his way but was injured. It&#39;s a shame how his career unfolded, but it is still a bust to CHI since they had no value for that pick which was a very high 1st rounder.

Koren Robinson was said to be the next Terrell Owens. You couldn&#39;t read an article on him without at least 1 TO reference.

F Mitchell was to solve PHI&#39;s woes at WR. He has been horrible.

P Warrick was considered an incredible receiver the year he was drafted. The hype was so high on him it was ridiculous.

Keyshawn Johnson was to be the next Jerry Rice. Has was slated to be all world. He never even came close to the hype generated around him on draft day. Keyshawn was every bit of what Mike Williams and L Fitgerald are today. He was a tall strong receiver who wasn&#39;t lightning fast but was a damn good receiver.

Mark my words people, it&#39;s gonna happen. There will be busts in this 1st round class of receivers. And I&#39;ll even go so far as to guarantee he will be 1 of the top 3 receivers. I already have one picked that I think will be it. But we will wait and see.

All League
    some updates.....in 2001 one WR who is very good that was not listed because he was undrafted like number 80 in green is Drew Bennett.....he was a QB........as for RJ Soward......he was the USC reciever that ran 4.27 at the combine that Tom Coughlin had to have.......everyone in TN thanked him because keith bulluck was picked next........