Thread: Jets NEEDS

All League
    1. CB - extremely important position and we only have one
    2. SS - we do have backups but none can start in the NFL
    3. LB - I only count two starters, Hobson, Cowart...that scares me a bit
    4. WR - we have santana and chrebet might not be as big a need (comparitively) as we all think. Of course it would help out tremendously if had a big physical receiver
    5. O-Line - some holes need to be filled. We might have it on our bench...we might not.

Veteran
    Originally posted by jetsflagboyz@Mar 1 2004, 09:22 PM
    4. WR - we have santana and chrebet might not be as big a need (comparitively) as we all think. Of course it would help out tremendously if had a big physical receiver
    5. O-Line - some holes need to be filled. We might have it on our bench...we might not.
    BRING BACK NICK FERGUSON & VICTOR GREEN B)

All League
    Corner is the #1 need. I read on newyorkjets.com that Jamie Henderson is an unrestricted free agent also. I wonder is the Jets will even resign him?

All League
    Originally posted by persiussa@Mar 1 2004, 10:24 PM
    Corner is the #1 need. I read on newyorkjets.com that Jamie Henderson is an unrestricted free agent also. I wonder is the Jets will even resign him?
    Henderson has potential I guess...never stays healthy though.

Originally posted by jetsflagboyz@Mar 1 2004, 08:22 PM
    I can't say that I agree with the order of the needs.

1. O-Line: If we do not get a guard somewhere Chad will be out by game three and Curtis Martin will be lying next to him in the hospital. Fabini Moore Mawae Yavonits McKenzie just doesn't cut it.

2. SS: Is Jamie Hendeson our projected starter here? Nuff said.

3. LB: Abraham and Hobson should be decent starters but Jason Glenn, Sam Cowart, and Marvin Jones should be backups if they stay on the roster.

4. WR: Santana Moss is more of a good # 2 WR than a #1. Conway might cut it as a # 3. Jonathan Carter is a project. No one else here is worth mentioning.

5. CB: We need an upgrade here but Ray Mickens is a better player than Moore, Henderson, Cowart, and Conway put together.

Our bigger (OL & SS) needs might be easier to fill than other needs such as WR but they are still the biggest holes we have.

Veteran
    I could see the secondary and linebacking corp being huge holes....

The secondary now needs another safety and hopes that McGraw a) stays healthy and B) becomes an above average starter. Mickens and Abraham are ok but there is no depth at all with the nickel situation..not very high on Pagel.

The linebackers need to get younger and faster, which hopefully Hobson and Glenn can help with but the Jets need to get a stud at this spot.

I would then go wr, as Moss needs someone to help him and who knows what is happening with Wayne or Carter.

Then the O Line needs some talent and depth especially with Szott now gone.

All Pro
    Originally posted by persiussa@Mar 1 2004, 08:24 PM
    Here's the whole list of RFA/UFAs

RFAs
    Kareem McKenzie
    Jason Glenn
    James Reed
    Kevin Swayne
    Kenyatta Wright
    Jamie Henderson
    Quincy Stewart

UFAs
    Doug Brien
    Brent Smith
    Kevin Lockett
    Dan Stryzinski
    JP Machado
    Chester McGlockton

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

1. CB 2. WR OVER 6`2 (CHREBET WILL RETIRE THIS YEAR I PREDICT.)......................................... ...................................... 3. LB 4. SS

My order is this:

1. Linebacker
    2. Wide Reciever/Cornerback
    3. O line
    4. Safety BOTH

Waterboy
    We only need one more linebacker with abraham moving to the linebacker position and hobson starting that only leaves one more spot where i think cowart will do much better with the new coaching staff.
    The secondary and wrs need the most help. So many times last year chad would have to dump it off becasue no one was open down the field. If he were to get a stud wr this offence would be great. Moss is not a #1 receiver and needs help. Draft a wr and sign a cb in the offseason. Try mcgraw at saftey one more year and sign a low costing safty to compete with henderson at saftey

Veteran
    I agree with the needs, but I'm not sure I agree w/ the order.

1. WR - Can't count on Chrebet playing another down. Even if he does, one shot away from retirement. Not only do they need to sign a veteran WR, but will need to draft one in the 1st or 2nd round.
    2. Safety - cut 2 safeties today who played alot of football in 2003. Can we count on McGraw comming back at 100%? if he does, how good was he anyway.
    3. LB - Will likely cut Marvin Jones and potentially Cowart (if he fails to restructure contract). Will need to draft a LB and sign a veteran to compete.
    4. CB - Mickens and Abraham can play. Will draft a corner and perhaps sign a veteran to boot.
    5. I'll keep it simple. sign a veteran guard, Draft a young tackle. Yogi and goodwin are your guard back-ups. Need someone to backfill fabini and mckenzie.

All League
    i agree about cb. hopefully it'll be handled via free agency. bring in will peterson, bobby taylor, or troy vincent. i say try to package the #12 and jordan to move up and get sean taylor. sign victor green. cut cowart and sign a LB via free agency. draft a WR in the second round. draft a guard and resign smith. let smith, moore, and the rookie fight for the two spots. if smith loses out, you have a guy who can back up at guard and tackle.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Jets secondary and linebackers were a huge hole last year. Our back 7 was SO SLOW. Turtle like.

So we can do no worse than we did last year.

Why? Because we were the worst.

Veteran
    coaches who can teach

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by southernjet@Mar 2 2004, 05:17 AM
    coaches who can teach
    That's why, Cottrell and company are gone and Henderson and Graber are here.