Thread: Draft

All Pro
    Hey Jet fans, I know that RB is not your top priority in this years draft however, due to the Steelers picking up Duce, a lot of draft boards I have seen, now have one if not both top backs falling to the Pats at #21. Two of these mock drafts have the Jets taking at least one of these RB's if they fall to them. My question is really simple, if Jackson and or Jones do fall into your spot, do do you take a shot at them?

All League
    Only if you can trade Lamont and get some more picks....They are both Franchise backs and Playmakers....or we can wait till next year when Lamont boogies there will be some good backs to choose from next year also...Jones would be my choice...

Veteran
    Originally posted by shasta@Mar 10 2004, 12:57 PM
    Hey Jet fans, I know that RB is not your top priority in this years draft however, due to the Steelers picking up Duce, a lot of draft boards I have seen, now have one if not both top backs falling to the Pats at #21. Two of these mock drafts have the Jets taking at least one of these RB's if they fall to them. My question is really simple, if Jackson and or Jones do fall into your spot, do do you take a shot at them?
    No.

One thing that has been proven over the last 10 or so drafts is that franchise running backs, above all other skill positions, do not need to be found in round one. Quality backs can be found in rounds 2 and 3, and even on day 2.

I am of the opinion that the Jets will move Lamont before or on draft day and that they can find a suitable number 2 back (who may one day be a number 1) in the third or fourth round. Cedric Cobbs comes to mind.

All Pro
    If the jets can move lamont for a high emough Choice to get Cobbs that would be great for the Jets, they then get a RB for 4 years rather than the one that they have with Jordan.

Waterboy
    No, here;'s why. C Martin, barring career ending injury, is on this team as the featured back for at least 2 more years for money reasons. If he plays well during the next 2 years, then most likely he will be around for possibly 4. Drafting a 1st round RB could very well become a situation of paying a 1st round RB big bicks while paying C Martin big $$$ as well and being unable to unload either one for contractual reasons.

There will be a time where C Martin's ability will decline to the point where we have to consider other options. That time has not come yet, and IMO it won't for about 2 more years. With the exception of last year, there are usually a healthy amount of ready to play RB's in the draft. Alo of time their are 1 or 2 superstar RB's in that class. When the time comes where we will have to replace C Martin, we will draft a stud RB that will come in and start immediately. That time has not come.

All League
    Originally posted by patman@Mar 10 2004, 07:20 PM
    If the jets can move lamont for a high emough Choice to get Cobbs that would be great for the Jets, they then get a RB for 4 years rather than the one that they have with Jordan.
    I agree 100%. I like Cobbs a lot, and he will be available late. It is not smart to draft running backs round one, unless they are guaranteed to be a star e.g. Tomlinson, Ricky Williams to an extent, and Edgerrin James. None of these "top" running backs impress me at #12. In fact, it would be prudent of the Jets to use this slot as leverage in trading down with a team who needs a running back. The Cowboys are looking for a running back last I heard...

All Pro
    Originally posted by djc+Mar 10 2004, 02:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (djc @ Mar 10 2004, 02:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--shasta@Mar 10 2004, 12:57 PM
    Hey Jet fans, I know that RB is not your top priority in this years draft however, due to the Steelers picking up Duce, a lot of draft boards I have seen, now have one if not both top backs falling to the Pats at #21. Two of these mock drafts have the Jets taking at least one of these RB&#39;s if they fall to them. My question is really simple, if Jackson and or Jones do fall into your spot, do do you take a shot at them?
    No.

One thing that has been proven over the last 10 or so drafts is that franchise running backs, above all other skill positions, do not need to be found in round one. Quality backs can be found in rounds 2 and 3, and even on day 2.

I am of the opinion that the Jets will move Lamont before or on draft day and that they can find a suitable number 2 back (who may one day be a number 1) in the third or fourth round. Cedric Cobbs comes to mind. [/b][/quote]
    Overall I have to agree with you that RBs can be found in the later rounds of the draft. The Pats took Curtis in the third, so the draft history is well documented when it comes to RBs. As a Pat fan I would be completly against a trade up for a back, however if the RBs do fall to #21 I wouldn&#39;t mind using that pick on Jackson. According to the rumors here in New England, there are two other options that are more likely to happen anyway, 1. A trade up for S. Taylor around #5 or #6, or the other big rumor is a lesser trade up to #9 or #10 for DT V. Wilfork.