Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safeties

Rookie
    I know this has been talked about in other topics but i just wanted to get a centralized one out there... I really think Terry is looking at A. trading up for taylor or b. trading down for the safety out of georgia (forgot his name... might have even gotten the school wrong)... we've been quick on every other signing but even with the safeties that are out there we dont seem to be making any serious moves.... JMO

Sean Jones from Georgia, i wanted him in round 2 but we traded that pick...

wickedtwisted
    My bet is Sean Taylor is going to be a Jet next year.

Rookie
    I would be extremely hppay with this off season if taylor is a jet

He is the only player in this draft that we NEED. Look at it, we got the QB. RB and WR (with McCariens+Moss+Chrebet, whose coming back), Make sure mCkenzie stays, sign a guard both of which will most likely happen, Dline is nasty, LB's have been revamped, we signed a young corner, and cut a safety, we need a Safety. I'd like to move McGraw to SS and use Taylor at FS, but if Taylor plays SS i wouldnt mind, as long as we HAVE HIM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I dont want to get my hopes up but I have a strange feeling that Taylor will be in green and white also. I would be happier than a fat kid with cake.

Trading up to get him will be tough. Especially because Portis in Wash means they dont need Lamont. We might have to give up our 3rd and maybe we use next years 1st or something like that. Either way, are you prepared to give up more pics for TaYLOR?

I AM.

o btw, im not trading either of our ends, our Dline is the best part of our D, and will be amazing next year, with Abe healthy, Ellis just getting better, and DTrain coming into his own, plus if Evans doesn't get caught blazing we have him for whole year.

Rookie
    id do almost anything possible... trading becht and/or jordan for picks just so we can trade those picks for the position to take taylor..... then draft depth for rb in 4th or 5th... god id be in heaven

Hes that big playmaker on D that immediately commands respect, has an attitude, is a freak of nature and is the big playmaker who will PULL DOWN PICS which is exactly what we need in our secondary.

Plus...we've seen what DH did with Ed Reed.....imagine what he could do with Sean Taylor.

oh yea, Taylor had 10 pics last year.

Rookie
    hey im sure sam garnes has had ten picks... over his career... maybe... but probably not

Waterboy
    Here's the problem. The Giants are the team to trade with to get this done, but as I mentioned in another thread, we have absolutely nothing they need as far as players go and we don't have a round 2 pick to trade either. WAS was a possibility prior to Portis but they now have no need for Jordan and they aren't giving us the #5 overall for Becht and our #12 overall. That would mean we'd have to deal one of the ends which I agree is not a good idea. I'm excited to see Abe in his new role.

So basically we would have to offer WAS our 1st, 3rd, and probably 4th along with Becht to make this deal even out. Are we willing to pawn almost our entire drft to get Taylor?? Secondly, in case you haven't noticed, WAS has filled just about every need they had via FA with the exception of 1 position. Safety. That's why I think we'd have to trade with the Ginats to get Taylor and I don't see how that can happen.

Rookie
    it pains me to agree but it does seem to me that itll be harder to get taylor than i thought... could we trade lamont and becht for picks then trade for the spot to pick taylor? what about jones later on? how far do you think we can trade down and still get him?

I love Taylor, but think the jetss dont have the fire power to trade up that high for him, unless we trade next pick from next year, but anyway they do it will cost them
    I think it will pay them back in the end to get Taylor, but its up to the Jets FO

Waterboy
    Originally posted by JetsFan 51@Mar 10 2004, 05:07 PM
    I love Taylor, but think the jetss dont have the fire power to trade up that high for him, unless we trade next pick from next year, but anyway they do it will cost them
    I think it will pay them back in the end to get Taylor, but its up to the Jets FO
    Now that's a possibility. But you have to consider this:

Would you trade this year and next years 1st round draft pick for R Williams (DAL safety)?
    Would you do the same for Ed Reed (BAL safety)?

If you answered yesy to the above then the answer should be yes for Sean Taylor because Taylor will instantly be the 3rd best S in the league behind those 2. If he lives up to his hype, he will eventually be better than both of those 2.

Now, assuming we did in fact do this deal, what would it mean? We would move up in this years draft and get a better player than we would at 12, that is no doubt. Logic says right now we are a better team than we were last year so next years draft pick will definately be lower than 12 most likely so this trade isn't nearly as bad as one would think, and is definately better than the trade we made last year for Robertson. But I would have to say it would be IMPERATIVE to trade L Jordan to recoup a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick to give us some extra picks for depth.

That's my opinion on this whole idea.

All League
    Originally posted by wickedtwisted@Mar 10 2004, 04:15 PM
    My bet is Sean Taylor is going to be a Jet next year.
    Would love to see Taylor on the Jets, but I think you are going to lose that bet.

He is a quote from Bradway that was posted on the Jets NFL site. It seems to indicate that the Jets are going to trade down from 12, unless there is some one there they just can't walk away from.

“There are still some situations that we're looking at that could make some sense for us,” he said. “But to be honest with you, our focus from now until April 24th will be on the draft. The thing I feel good about right now is that entering the draft, we may not have a particular glaring need, and therefore we could be in a position at 12 to have some options. I think it's a very deep draft for three rounds. So it may be an opportunity for us to either gain more picks, or if there's a great player that we think is there at 12, we can go ahead and step up and take him. "

Rookie
    you just posted a quote of bradway saying that anything can happen, so what does that prove?

Veteran
    His point was Bradway hinted to us being in the 12 spot on draft day.

All League
    Im almos positive were going to trade up to get taylor on draft day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'll believe it when I see it. Not my getting hopes up on that one.

If The Jets trade up, It should be for Taylor or Winslow.

If The Jets trade down and get a 2nd rounder, It should be Ben Troupe and Sean Jones.

All League
    Jet fan living in Georgia here,

I would be happy as a pig in sh!t if the Jets got Taylor or Sean Jones. Jones can hit like a mofo! And, it's always nice to have a Georgia boy on the Jet roster. I smell new jersey!