Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's official Lynch released.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Buccaneers cut SS John LynchPrint this article | Email this article

March 11, 2004

By SportsTicker

SAN DIEGO (Ticker) -- A little more than a year after helping the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win the Super Bowl, John Lynch is searching for another team.

The five-time Pro Bowl safety announced in an emotional news conference in his hometown of San Diego on Thursday that he has been released by the Buccaneers.

"I am saddened and shocked," Lynch said. "I understand that tough decisions have to be made. But I think the decision is wrong."

Lynch, 32, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and linebacker Derrick Brooks formed the nucleus of a defense which turned the Bucs into a perennial playoff team and a Super Bowl champion in 2002.

However, the Bucs have no intention of re-signing Sapp, who is an unrestricted free agent, and have now cut ties with Lynch after a disappointing 7-9 season.

The longest-tenured player on the Bucs with 11 years of service, Lynch was limited by a shoulder injury last season, ending his streak of four consecutive Pro Bowl trips.

New Bucs general manager Bruce Allen informed Lynch on Wednesday that he was no longer in the team's future plans - a move that will save the Bucs about $4 million in salary cap space in 2004.

"I don't agree with it and I let Bruce know it," said Lynch, who had signed a six-year extension in 2000. "I truly believe my best years as a football player are ahead of me. But in my heart, I'll always be a Buccaneer."

Hall Of Fame
    hey arod whats up?

you should here the fans down here on tampa radio. half of them are switching teams and the other wants to kill ownership.

these people are nuts, they won a superbowl recently and they have cap issues and are tying to get younger. deal with it i wish the jets could win a superbowl id be quiet for 3-5 years

Rookie
    Sickkkk

now make the call terry

wow,i cant imagine wat this board would be like if he actually signed with us, a million posts on lynch

Rookie
    The Jets should sign him right now...I want to see a Jets sign Lynch scroll on the Bottomline right now...

Veteran
    Has he been "released" or is he "seeking a trade"??

All League
    i prefer the lynch threads as opposed to more draft day trade threads...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by dickkotite@Mar 11 2004, 08:02 PM
    hey arod whats up?

you should here the fans down here on tampa radio. half of them are switching teams and the other wants to kill ownership.

these people are nuts, they won a superbowl recently and they have cap issues and are tying to get younger. deal with it i wish the jets could win a superbowl id be quiet for 3-5 years
    I can only imagine Kotite. I'm sure they're going nuts. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. Personally I think he's too old, if we sign him I hope it's short term.

Banned
    These columns keep wrecklessly tossing around the words "RELEASED" or "CUT"

But nowhere do they offer a direct quote from the Bucs saying the player has been "RELEASED" or "CUT"

When I see a Quote from the Bucs ... not some hack reporter ... then I'll know it's official

These reporters were tossing around the same words this afternoon ... do they even know what the words mean? :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by blast2blaze@Mar 11 2004, 08:04 PM
    He's been released, READ the article!

All League
    Originally posted by blast2blaze@Mar 11 2004, 08:04 PM
    According to the article he was released

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan+Mar 11 2004, 08:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ARodKeyWestJetsFan @ Mar 11 2004, 08:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--blast2blaze@Mar 11 2004, 08:04 PM
    He&#39;s been released, READ the article&#33; [/b][/quote]
    The five-time Pro Bowl safety announced in an emotional news conference in his hometown of San Diego on Thursday that he has been released by the Buccaneers.

Veteran
    I know Herm is on the phone with him right now. BRING LYNCH TO NYC&#33;&#33;&#33;

Rookie
    I do have to say - if he played special teams he would have a much better chance on the Jets...

Banned
    Where&#39;s the Quote from a Bucs representative stating John Lynch has been released?

Why should we trust that this reporter even knows what the term means ... these same nitwits were reporting JL was released this afternoon, when the Bucs clearly stated that he wasn&#39;t

Banned
    Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan@Mar 11 2004, 07:11 PM
    This right here tells me the reporter is WRONG ... cause JL DID NOT announce that today

He announced that the Bucs are not bringing him back and that he has been given permission to seek a trade

All Pro
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Mar 11 2004, 08:16 PM
    Where&#39;s the Quote from a Bucs representative stating John Lynch has been released?

Why should we trust that this reporter even knows what the term means ... these same nitwits were reporting JL was released this afternoon, when the Bucs clearly stated that he wasn&#39;t
    Bucs Website

Right from the horse&#39;s mouth:

Q: On if the Bucs are not releasing Lynch at the moment in order to see if they can get something in return for him:

A: “Yes, that’s the way we’re going to handle it right now. That’s what we had discussed.”

Q: On if he has discussed with Lynch’s agent on what the Bucs want in return:

A: “David (Dunn) is going to first talk to some teams and see the parameters of a contract structure that John would accept. We’ll talk to the teams, but I don’t think that would be a problem.”

Q: On if there is a timeline on the possible transaction:

A: “No.”

I think he has been told he will be released. Probably won&#39;t happen till after June 1. He can go and work out another deal though with another team

Veteran
    Lynch will be released later Thursday, according to ESPN.com&#39;s John Clayton

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

From the Bucs website:

Bucs Part Ways with Lynch
    S John Lynch played 11 seasons for the Buccaneers

Mar 11, 2004 - On Thursday afternoon, late in what he termed an ‘emotional day’ for all involved, Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager Bruce Allen confirmed that safety John Lynch would not be with the Buccaneers in 2004.

“It’s at this time that we’re going to move forward,” said Allen, following a press conference by Lynch in San Diego. “John and I, as I’m sure he referred to, had a conversation – I think it was a couple of nights ago – and we decided the best way to move forward is to allow him the opportunity to talk to other teams and find a home that is best for him and his family.”

As one would expect, this conclusion was not one the Bucs came to easily.

“It was with a heavy heart (that this decision was reached) because of what he does mean to the game of football,” said Allen. “I had discussions with (Executive Vice President) Joel Glazer and (Head Coach) Jon Gruden and (Defensive Coordinator) Monte (Kiffin). This is the tough part about sports sometimes. Some of our great players move from team to team toward the end of (their) careers – I think he announced he was going to play another 11 years. God bless him, I hope it happens. But that’s where we’re at today.”

How Lynch will be replaced in the Bucs’ lineup in the short term will be determined in the next few months. Given Lynch’s years of excellent service to the team, however, his long-term impact will not soon be forgotten.

“Let me just start (by saying): You don’t replace John Lynch, the all-pro on and off the field,” said Allen. “He has meant a lot to so many people in the community and across the country. I’ve been working in the NFL elsewhere, and everybody respects who he is and what he has brought to the game of football.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "It would be so wonderful if Michael Jordan stayed with the Bulls the whole time and if Junior Seau stayed with the Chargers, and so on. But that’s not where we’re at. Hopefully some team can benefit from the type of leadership and ability he can bring to their team."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 11 seasons as a Buccaneer, Lynch was elected to five Pro Bowls (1997, 1999-2002 seasons), including three times as a starter. He was a first-team AP All-Pro selection in 1999 and 2000 and a second-team choice in 2001 and 2002. He ranks third on the team’s all-time tackles list (973), fourth on the interception chart (23) and second on the games played list (164).

Lynch was also one of the team’s most civic-minded players, basing much of his community work around the very active John Lynch Foundation. He was a finalist for the prestigious NFL Man of the Year award in 2002.

As of Thursday, the Buccaneers had taken no official action on Lynch’s roster status. He will be allowed to negotiate with other teams, a process on which Allen expects Lynch and his agent to take the lead.
    Apparently from what this says, GJ&H is right but I would say if he has not been released yet, he will be in the immediate future.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan@Mar 11 2004, 08:27 PM

As of Thursday, the Buccaneers had taken no official action on Lynch’s roster status. He will be allowed to negotiate with other teams, a process on which Allen expects Lynch and his agent to take the lead.
    Apparently from what this says, GJ&H is right but I would say if he has not been released yet, he will be in the immediate future.
    Arod-

Good to have you back&#33;

Before his release, some team will offer Tampa some unbelievable draft picks.

Jets, once again, on the outside looking in.