Thread: Lynch interested in the Patriots

All League
    The Jets or Colts are probably still his 1st choice, but it's worth noting.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...e_a_safety_net/

John Lynch, the five-time Pro Bowl safety of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is interested in playing for the Patriots, a source close to the player indicated yesterday. The question is, is New England interested in Lynch?

The Patriots are prominent on the short list of teams the 32-year-old Lynch would play for, a list that also includes the Jets and Colts, according to the source.

Lynch, who has been told he will be released by the Buccaneers, appears to be cut from the same mold as current Patriot Rodney Harrison, a hard-hitting, intelligent safety. A secondary featuring a Lynch-Harrison combination would provide a great deal of intimidation.

Lynch has ties with the AFC East rival Jets because of his close relationship with coach Herman Edwards. Lynch also has a hook in Indianapolis because Colts coach Tony Dungy helped develop Lynch during their time in Tampa Bay. But Lynch, who won a Super Bowl with the Bucs two years ago, may feel the Patriots are his best chance to get back to the big game.

After cutting Pro Bowl safety Lawyer Milloy just before the 2003 regular season, the Patriots converted rookie cornerback Eugene Wilson to play alongside Harrison. Wilson quickly developed into a fine free safety but if the Patriots want to switch Wilson back to corner, there could be an opening for Lynch.

Lynch wanted to restructure his deal in Tampa, one that called for salaries of $4.1 million this year and $5 million in 2005, but the Bucs declined.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It would make senxe for the Pats to

A. Sign Lynch
    B. Move Wilson
    C. Cut ties with Law

Makes all the senxe in the world to me

Veteran
    Oh how fickle we are, banished Law, flirting with Lynch.

Rookie
    just saw on espn john clayton,said he is visiting the seahawks today,and is also intrested in the colts,pats, and another team,i cant remember,but then said eh will more than likely end up with jets

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Mar 13 2004, 12:09 PM
    It would make senxe for the Pats to

A. Sign Lynch
    B. Move Wilson
    C. Cut ties with Law

Makes all the senxe in the world to me
    I would question the move of Wilson to CB.

For some reason, I'm not sold on his abilities to play CB.

Veteran
    He was great in the preseason when he starterd at CB BUT we haven't seen enough of him playing CB in real game situations.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Maybe Lynch could play Corner for the soon to be departed Law.. :lol: Only in America folks

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It actually makes sense for New England if Ty Law is going to be shown the door.

Lynch with Harrison would be a hell of a tandem. Almost not fair to have those two guys at safety on the same team.

It would make The New England secondary much older but The Pats are a win now team with alot of draft picks to groom guys behind these players.

There are so many teams right now after John Lynch and interested in him. I don't blame them.

Hall Of Fame
    The key here is to sign him quickly to a friendly deal, personal ties mean alot to an older player like Lynch, being amongst family in a good position to make something happen is one of the key things we have to offer him and his wife

luckily he already has a ring so getting with the best possible team to get that ring before he is done is not as much of a factor for him

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Mar 13 2004, 02:45 PM

Lynch with Harrison would be a hell of a tandem. Almost not fair to have those two guys at safety on the same team.

Come across the middle Santana, come across the middle.

Penny will through his world famous floater and stretch him out. Ouch. :blink:

Nice thought, but Lynch will end up with the Jets or Colts.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote]Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Mar 13 2004, 12:00 PM

John Lynch, the five-time Pro Bowl safety of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is interested in playing for the Patriots, a source close to the player indicated yesterday.
    source, AKA Lynch's agent to drive up his asking price?

Rookie
    The question is if Lynch doesnt decide to join the Jets, would he join another team in their division, knowing that would really piss off Herm.

Also would Lynch be comfortable being a FS instead of SS?

I know he got picked on a bit but I actually thought Wilson did a decent job at safety, especially considering he was a rookie converted there at the beginning of the year.

Guh...just rationalizing Lynch out of NE...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by soppel@Mar 13 2004, 06:58 PM
    The question is if Lynch doesnt decide to join the Jets, would he join another team in their division, knowing that would really piss off Herm.

I know he got picked on a bit but I actually thought Wilson did a decent job at safety, especially considering he was a rookie converted there at the beginning of the year.

Whatever decision John Lynch makes, Herman Edwards would be cool with it. He understands that Lynch would be making a decision for not just himself but for his family. Herm wants Lynch on his team, as do 8 other teams but I think Herm would give Lynch his blessing if he decided to go somewhere else.

Some guys don't want to come to New York. It's a tough move for their family, if they have lived on the west coast and in the south their whole life.

The Pats like playing split safety. So they would play Lynch and Harrison as FS's and SS's in their scheme.

Someone will step up here and give Lynch good money, He's not getting the veteran minimum. Trust me. He's going to get a 4 or 5 year deal from someone.

The fact that Lynch is still tied to Tampa, and that is an issue and Lynch may cost a team money and a draft pick.

The Jets may be moving Josh Evans just to have room to pay for Lynch.

Rookie
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan+Mar 13 2004, 03:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YoungJetsFan @ Mar 13 2004, 03:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--soppel@Mar 13 2004, 06:58 PM

[/b][/quote]
    Whatever decision John Lynch makes, Herman Edwards would be cool with it. He understands that Lynch would be making a decision for not just himself but for his family. Herm wants Lynch on his team, as do 8 other teams but I think Herm would give Lynch his blessing if he decided to go somewhere else.
    I disagree. It might have been ok having Lynch in another conference, playing him once every few years but playing against him twice a year? Its hard enough for Herm to face Dungy and Vermeil every so often.

Some guys don&#39;t want to come to New York. It&#39;s a tough move for their family, if they have lived on the west coast and in the south their whole life.
    NE is a couple hours up 95.

The fact that Lynch is still tied to Tampa, and that is an issue and Lynch may cost a team money and a draft pick.

The Jets may be moving Josh Evans just to have room to pay for Lynch.
    Agreed. I posted this in the Evans thread, but wouldnt it make sense to trade Evans for Lynch?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by soppel@Mar 13 2004, 02:58 PM

You are kidding with this, right?

Lynch would turn down an offer from another AFCE team just because he doesn&#39;t want to "piss Herm off"?

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Mar 13 2004, 02:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Mar 13 2004, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--soppel@Mar 13 2004, 02:58 PM

Lynch would turn down an offer from another AFCE team just because he doesn&#39;t want to "piss Herm off"?

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?[/b][/quote]
    I think it comes from the same insanity that thinks we&#39;ll get
    a 2nd rd pick for Evans or Jordan or the Giants will trade
    first rd picks with us&#33;&#33; Disney calls it Fantasy Land&#33;&#33; :lol:

Rookie
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Mar 13 2004, 03:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Mar 13 2004, 03:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--soppel@Mar 13 2004, 02:58 PM

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? [/b][/quote]

Hey I admitted I was grasping at straws.

I was just reminded of this winter when Andy Pettitte was a free agent and said the only team he would not go to was the Red Sox...that he just could not do that to his friends on the Yankees.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Patriots are interested. There&#39;s no question about it.

It&#39;s like a A-Rod situation. The Pats want to keep Lynch away from The Jets even though they don&#39;t need him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Money being the same Lynch would be a fool not to go with
    the Pats&#33;&#33; BB will use him right with whatever he has left in
    his soon to be 33 yr old Body&#33;

Rookie
    What kind of cap situation are the Pats currently in? Enough room for Lynch or would players have to cut? I had thought they were pretty tight up against the max.