Thread: JETS organization is not

Veteran
    ... according to former Eagle/Dolphin Mike Golic, ESPN 1050 Radio. I heard him make this assertion this morning on Mike & Mike just before 8 AM.

I am not surprised here. The Jets' have a crummy reputation, a long losing history. Bradway's fumbles in FA have not helped either. Many players obviously are not excited to come here.

All League
    It's not history that will affect a player's decision, it's their vision for the future. One franchise in sports history famous for it's losses (Red Sox) still manages to attract the biggest talent in the game. Granted salary is a large part of that, but there is no doubting the Red Sox committment to winning. Players don't decide simply because of greed, winning is also part of it. There is no buzz to play for the Jets and that is sad. Parcells generated buzz, and Herm hasn't been around long enough to generate it so I feel you need closer at Bradway here for failing to make the Jets look like a players best move.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

any former dolphin can go f**k himslef........

Originally posted by NOFX@Mar 23 2004, 10:03 AM
    ... according to former Eagle/Dolphin Mike Golic, ESPN 1050 Radio. I heard him make this assertion this morning on Mike & Mike just before 8 AM.

I am not surprised here. The Jets' have a crummy reputation, a long losing history. Bradway's fumbles in FA have not helped either. Many players obviously are not excited to come here.
    That is B.S.

Golic is wrong. Cash is attractive and we lost out on all these guys due to cash. Winfield may be the one exception. He did get more, but not a ton more.

You want the organization to do a dog and pony show like some college to attract players? Eff that.

Long losing history?

1) Players no NOTHING about history. OK?

2) We have one losing season since Richie Kotex! One.

If people don't want to play here because of what happened in the 80's and early 90's, then eff them, because that is just stupid.

This whole thing is a big load of B.S.

And shame on all the Jets fans who are buying into what's being dished by the media.

Veteran
    Originally posted by NOFX@Mar 23 2004, 09:03 AM

If this was the case LYNCH would be a PATRIOT this morning not a BRONCO.

Originally posted by D-BYRD+Mar 23 2004, 10:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (D-BYRD @ Mar 23 2004, 10:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--NOFX@Mar 23 2004, 09:03 AM

I am not surprised here. The Jets&#39; have a crummy reputation, a long losing history. Bradway&#39;s fumbles in FA have not helped either. Many players obviously are not excited to come here.
    If this was the case LYNCH would be a PATRIOT this morning not a BRONCO. [/b][/quote]
    Good point, unless Lynch has taken one too many to the cabeza...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by D-BYRD@Mar 23 2004, 09:18 AM

Throw out the last 3 years, and the Pats and Jets history is errily similar.

I remember the 2-14 seasons watching games in a half-full stadium.

As several posters stated, past history means squat.

However, I do believe a commitment to winning (currently or the very near future) weighs in on any FA&#39;s decision.

Money is still the driving factor (no matter what players say in the media) in a players decision to choose a new team.

Because of the cap, some teams have the money to spend, others do not.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin+Mar 23 2004, 09:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jet-Zeppelin @ Mar 23 2004, 09:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -D-BYRD@Mar 23 2004, 10:18 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--NOFX
    @Mar 23 2004, 09:03 AM

I am not surprised here. The Jets&#39; have a crummy reputation, a long losing history. Bradway&#39;s fumbles in FA have not helped either. Many players obviously are not excited to come here.

Good point, unless Lynch has taken one too many to the cabeza... [/b][/quote]
    IMHO Lynch to the BRONCOS had more to do with his age and he and his family &#39;s desire to be closer to home.

All Pro
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Mar 23 2004, 09:14 AM
    It&#39;s not history that will affect a player&#39;s decision, it&#39;s their vision for the future. One franchise in sports history famous for it&#39;s losses (Red Sox) still manages to attract the biggest talent in the game. Granted salary is a large part of that, but there is no doubting the Red Sox committment to winning. Players don&#39;t decide simply because of greed, winning is also part of it. There is no buzz to play for the Jets and that is sad. Parcells generated buzz, and Herm hasn&#39;t been around long enough to generate it so I feel you need closer at Bradway here for failing to make the Jets look like a players best move.
    The history contributes to the aura. It contributes to our 2nd citizen status. Not having a stadium perhaps is the biggest issue.

Originally posted by LesterLyles+Mar 23 2004, 10:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LesterLyles @ Mar 23 2004, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ScottishJet@Mar 23 2004, 09:14 AM
    It&#39;s not history that will affect a player&#39;s decision, it&#39;s their vision for the future. One franchise in sports history famous for it&#39;s losses (Red Sox) still manages to attract the biggest talent in the game. Granted salary is a large part of that, but there is no doubting the Red Sox committment to winning. Players don&#39;t decide simply because of greed, winning is also part of it. There is no buzz to play for the Jets and that is sad. Parcells generated buzz, and Herm hasn&#39;t been around long enough to generate it so I feel you need closer at Bradway here for failing to make the Jets look like a players best move.
    The history contributes to the aura. It contributes to our 2nd citizen status. Not having a stadium perhaps is the biggest issue.[/b][/quote]
    Ya mean the stadium that&#39;s filled with crazy-loud Jets fans for every game? That stadium?

The Jets are viewed as an up and comer. People may not realize this, but it&#39;s true. A young franchise QB surrounded by a young team and a flexible cap situation going forward.

Let Winfield and the Snyder signings go. It&#39;s over.

Think Chad not change.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin+Mar 23 2004, 09:43 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jet-Zeppelin @ Mar 23 2004, 09:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -LesterLyles@Mar 23 2004, 10:38 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--ScottishJet
    @Mar 23 2004, 09:14 AM

The history contributes to the aura. It contributes to our 2nd citizen status. Not having a stadium perhaps is the biggest issue.
    Ya mean the stadium that&#39;s filled with crazy-loud Jets fans for every game? That stadium?

The Jets are viewed as an up and comer. People may not realize this, but it&#39;s true. A young franchise QB surrounded by a young team and a flexible cap situation going forward.

Think Chad not change. [/b][/quote]
    I said the stadium, not the fans. As long as we have to trek an hour to play in someone else&#39;s stadium, we will have a 2nd class citizen reputation. Now a state of the art stadium in Manhattan, that would be a free agent draw...I have no doubts about that.

Originally posted by LesterLyles+Mar 23 2004, 10:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LesterLyles @ Mar 23 2004, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Jet-Zeppelin@Mar 23 2004, 09:43 AM
    Originally posted by -LesterLyles@Mar 23 2004, 10:38 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--ScottishJet
    @Mar 23 2004, 09:14 AM

Think Chad not change.
    I said the stadium, not the fans. As long as we have to trek an hour to play in someone else&#39;s stadium, we will have a 2nd class citizen reputation. Now a state of the art stadium in Manhattan, that would be a free agent draw...I have no doubts about that. [/b][/quote]
    Well you should, because that is the last thing a player would care about. You are turning a fan issue into a player issue.

A hour to the game? All stadiums have traffic issues. You think getting out of Manhattan is going to be easy? Jump back&#33;

I go to the Meadowlands ten times a year for Jets games, at minimum. The traffic is WAY overblown. It&#39;s a great atmosphere. The idea that we have no home field is complete B.S. How many other teams have their chant played endlessly on ESPN? Where do you think that chant happens?

It is a media perpetuated myth that has turned into a perceived reality, because most people do not attend the games. I&#39;m there EVERY GAME and I&#39;m here to say that it&#39;s hogwash.

All Pro
    I just don&#39;t think its ideal for players to trek an hour hour and a half to a stadium named after another team. JMHO. Its part of the identity of the team and identity has a lot to do with it. Listen &#036;&#036; is #1 but team perception/identity is another big factor and the Jets are in the bottom half in this regard.

Originally posted by LesterLyles@Mar 23 2004, 11:03 AM
    I just don&#39;t think its ideal for players to trek an hour hour and a half to a stadium named after another team. JMHO. Its part of the identity of the team and identity has a lot to do with it. Listen &#036;&#036; is #1 but team perception/identity is another big factor and the Jets are in the bottom half in this regard.
    OK, I can see what you are saying. Just try to bear in mind, that our stadium rocks twice as hard during Jets games than it does for the team whose name is permanently affixed to the roof.

I have heard many a player comment on the Jets crowd and how they wished they had that kind of support.

There is another side to the coin.

As far as the traffic goes; sure it&#39;s a factor, but having been to games in DC and NE recently, I can attest that getting in and out of many places is a hassle.

We are talking about 8-10 days a year here, unless you think it&#39;s hard getting out a pre-season game (it&#39;s not&#33.

And seriously, I do not think our rep is nearly as weak as people are making it out to be.

Sometimes I think us Jets fans prescribe to that old line from Annie Hall and before.

"I don&#39;t wanna belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member..."

So we root for the Jets.

Eff that&#33; The Green and White rock&#33;