Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lynch on Total Access

All Pro
    Said it came down to Jets & Broncos but just had a "gut" feeling Denver was the place he was suppose to be

What about the coin Johnny boy?

Tongue is a better fit.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Knickerbocker@Mar 24 2004, 12:11 AM
    Tongue is a better fit.
    I agree, especially after finding out Lynch flunked his physical with the patsies**

Yeah most def.

All Pro
    Originally posted by pope@Mar 24 2004, 12:07 AM
    Said it came down to Jets & Broncos but just had a "gut" feeling Denver was the place he was suppose to be

What about the coin Johnny boy?
    His agent probably helped John out with that response.

Anyway, does he truly feel that Denver has a team that can go all the way to the Super Bowl or was it the change afterall?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

C'mon...all things being equal...we all would have had Lynch rather than Tongue....you know it....I know it!!

But is Lynch worth Tongue and Evans?

HELL NO

Bitter
    How much more money did the Broncos offer or was it ever reported?

All League
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Mar 24 2004, 12:19 AM
    How much more money did the Broncos offer or was it ever reported?
    3 years 9 mill..with a 2.5 mill SB

All League
    from DN, Herm does look like a fool

Jet future going
    down the John

Terry Bradway lets Herm Edwards' friend get away, then quickly pounces on former player in Kansas City Chief Reggie Tongue.

The Jets are making a mess of their offseason again and they may not be done. There's time for more. Training camp is still four months away.
    Herm Edwards couldn't convince John Lynch, one of his best friends in the world, the godfather of his only child, to finish out his career playing for him. This came two weeks after the Jets thought they had Bills cornerback Antoine Winfield until the Vikings boarded him on a private jet on Long Island, sneaking him off to Minneapolis.

Winfield was so close to signing, he was walking around Weeb Ewbank Hall wearing a Jets jersey with his name on the back. But then the Jets got outsmarted by a team that started 6-0 last year and still didn't make the playoffs.

More than at any time in NFL history, Super Bowls are being won by front offices in the offseason. Not by the Redskins, who just like to spend money on big names, but by the Patriots, who hire role players to fit Bill Belichick's system. Jets GM Terry Bradway has done little in what is now his fourth offseason to make an argument he has what it takes to bring in the players to get the Jets to the Super Bowl.

The Bradway-Edwards regime started off with 10 regular-season victories, then dropped to nine and then went down to six last year, the Jets' first losing season since 1996. That's the wrong direction. Attrition has worked its way through the roster they inherited from Bill Parcells. They haven't replenished the talent. Bradway is more reactive than proactive.

The Jets will survive without Lynch, a safety on the downside of his career. They could have used his leadership and locker-room presence. Maybe Reggie Tongue, a Bradway guy during their time together in Kansas City, turns out to be a better buy. But there may be a deeper issue. After Edwards brought in ex-Bucs Damien Robinson and Steve White and both were busts, could there be a power play going on in the front office of a team where the GM is overshadowed by the coach? Remember, the coach just got a two-year extension when the GM did not. The ex-Chief is signed. The ex-Buc is not.

After the Jets were raided by the Redskins last year, a team that can't get out of its own way once it starts playing games, and were unable to close the deal with Winfield, their No. 1 free agent target, the organization needed to sign Lynch to retain its credibility.

So, regardless of whether Denver is more Super Bowl-ready than the Jets, or more geographically desirable for Lynch, who is from San Diego, this is not a positive reflection on Edwards, whose strength as a coach is his ability to motivate and get people to buy what he's selling. His buddy wasn't buying.

"Here's what I know: The Jets were going hard after Lynch," one personnel director said yesterday. "It's also my understanding they were afraid that it could be terribly embarrassing if they didn't get him. They don't take very well to public pressure. I wouldn't say it's a direct reflection on Herm, the individual. Maybe it's more of a reflection on the organization and where John Lynch might think they are at."

Indeed, Lynch said in Denver yesterday his two priorities were a great place for his family and the chance to play for a world championship. Telling Edwards he wasn't coming "real hard" for him, he said.

"He's one of my great friends in life. The Jets had a lot to offer. It was my last trip. They made it hard to leave the building, but I held true to wanting to go back to talk to (wife) Linda and my family," Lynch said. "Herm told me from the beginning and I told him we weren't going to make the decision based on our friendship. We were going to make it based on the priorities I listed. He respected that. It was a tough phone call, but he handled it in a way I knew he would. With great class. Our relationship will remain the same."

Bradway, super sensitive to criticism, and Edwards, who can usually take the heat, have gone undercover this offseason, except for the news conference for receiver Justin McCareins. Getting McCareins for a No. 2 pick, even though his next 100-yard game will be his first, has been praised around the league.

Still, the lasting impression of this offseason is Lynch spending two nights in an upscale Long Island hotel, twice having dinner with Edwards, his position coach with the Bucs from 1996-2000, and then signing with the Broncos. How many coaches pick a player to be the godfather to their kid?

Lynch did what he felt was best for his career and his family. But he also made Edwards look bad. "Maybe John Lynch doesn't think the program is ready to win now," the personnel director said. "That's a team that is headed in the wrong direction over the past couple of years."

The Jets still have time for more embarrassment. The draft is in another month.

All League
    Originally posted by afosomf@Mar 24 2004, 09:30 AM

Jet future going
    down the John

Terry Bradway lets Herm Edwards' friend get away, then quickly pounces on former player in Kansas City Chief Reggie Tongue.

The Jets are making a mess of their offseason again and they may not be done. There's time for more. Training camp is still four months away.
    Herm Edwards couldn't convince John Lynch, one of his best friends in the world, the godfather of his only child, to finish out his career playing for him. This came two weeks after the Jets thought they had Bills cornerback Antoine Winfield until the Vikings boarded him on a private jet on Long Island, sneaking him off to Minneapolis.

Winfield was so close to signing, he was walking around Weeb Ewbank Hall wearing a Jets jersey with his name on the back. But then the Jets got outsmarted by a team that started 6-0 last year and still didn't make the playoffs.

More than at any time in NFL history, Super Bowls are being won by front offices in the offseason. Not by the Redskins, who just like to spend money on big names, but by the Patriots, who hire role players to fit Bill Belichick's system. Jets GM Terry Bradway has done little in what is now his fourth offseason to make an argument he has what it takes to bring in the players to get the Jets to the Super Bowl.

The Bradway-Edwards regime started off with 10 regular-season victories, then dropped to nine and then went down to six last year, the Jets' first losing season since 1996. That's the wrong direction. Attrition has worked its way through the roster they inherited from Bill Parcells. They haven't replenished the talent. Bradway is more reactive than proactive.

The Jets will survive without Lynch, a safety on the downside of his career. They could have used his leadership and locker-room presence. Maybe Reggie Tongue, a Bradway guy during their time together in Kansas City, turns out to be a better buy. But there may be a deeper issue. After Edwards brought in ex-Bucs Damien Robinson and Steve White and both were busts, could there be a power play going on in the front office of a team where the GM is overshadowed by the coach? Remember, the coach just got a two-year extension when the GM did not. The ex-Chief is signed. The ex-Buc is not.

After the Jets were raided by the Redskins last year, a team that can't get out of its own way once it starts playing games, and were unable to close the deal with Winfield, their No. 1 free agent target, the organization needed to sign Lynch to retain its credibility.

So, regardless of whether Denver is more Super Bowl-ready than the Jets, or more geographically desirable for Lynch, who is from San Diego, this is not a positive reflection on Edwards, whose strength as a coach is his ability to motivate and get people to buy what he's selling. His buddy wasn't buying.

"Here's what I know: The Jets were going hard after Lynch," one personnel director said yesterday. "It's also my understanding they were afraid that it could be terribly embarrassing if they didn't get him. They don't take very well to public pressure. I wouldn't say it's a direct reflection on Herm, the individual. Maybe it's more of a reflection on the organization and where John Lynch might think they are at."

Indeed, Lynch said in Denver yesterday his two priorities were a great place for his family and the chance to play for a world championship. Telling Edwards he wasn't coming "real hard" for him, he said.

"He's one of my great friends in life. The Jets had a lot to offer. It was my last trip. They made it hard to leave the building, but I held true to wanting to go back to talk to (wife) Linda and my family," Lynch said. "Herm told me from the beginning and I told him we weren't going to make the decision based on our friendship. We were going to make it based on the priorities I listed. He respected that. It was a tough phone call, but he handled it in a way I knew he would. With great class. Our relationship will remain the same."

Bradway, super sensitive to criticism, and Edwards, who can usually take the heat, have gone undercover this offseason, except for the news conference for receiver Justin McCareins. Getting McCareins for a No. 2 pick, even though his next 100-yard game will be his first, has been praised around the league.

Still, the lasting impression of this offseason is Lynch spending two nights in an upscale Long Island hotel, twice having dinner with Edwards, his position coach with the Bucs from 1996-2000, and then signing with the Broncos. How many coaches pick a player to be the godfather to their kid?

Lynch did what he felt was best for his career and his family. But he also made Edwards look bad. "Maybe John Lynch doesn't think the program is ready to win now," the personnel director said. "That's a team that is headed in the wrong direction over the past couple of years."

know what kills me , if we got these players and OVER paid them we would still get the bull**** from these idiot writers!!!!!! i think the FO is doin a good job so far and being smart with there money!

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by afosomf@Mar 24 2004, 09:30 AM

Jet future going
    down the John

not MY hermy......

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Personally I think it was a good decision for both Herm and Lynch. Being as close as they are, Lynch shouldn't be here. It's a business! If Lynch failed his physical, he's one play away from going on IR. I don't wish any player any harm ever, but if God forbid he were here and got hurt, then that would be Herm's fault too........you people are never happy.......Trust me, Denver is not going anywhere this year with Lynch and the Raiders aren't going anywhere with Sapp.

This is Bradways last year on his contract, do you really think he's going to screw things up for himself now?

Besides, I think Hackett is the coach that no one wants to come and play for, not Herm.

All League
    Originally posted by jetgirl@Mar 24 2004, 09:43 AM
    Personally I think it was a good decision for both Herm and Lynch. Being as close as they are, Lynch shouldn't be here. It's a business! If Lynch failed his physical, he's one play away from going on IR. I don't wish any player any harm ever, but if God forbid he were here and got hurt, then that would be Herm's fault too........you people are never happy.......Trust me, Denver is not going anywhere this year with Lynch and the Raiders aren't going anywhere with Sapp.

This is Bradways last year on his contract, do you really think he's going to screw things up for himself now?

Besides, I think Hackett is the coach that no one wants to come and play for, not Herm.
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

All League
    JG- I did not want Lynch, however Herm did and he does look like an incompetent
    fool. No one wants to play for this guy or FO.

Read the Winfield lines, the dude was walking around with a jet jersey and yet
    we still cannot close deal and lose the F'r.

ABI.... Always Be Incompetent.

This shi% happened last year as well, Herm to Vinnie, " yeah we will let you go
    and let you be a starter somewhere else"

Badway- " Herm are you out of your F'n Mind? Vinnie stays!"

Originally posted by Knickerbocker@Mar 24 2004, 01:11 AM
    Tongue is a better fit.
    That's what she said...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by afosomf@Mar 24 2004, 09:59 AM
    JG- I did not want Lynch, however Herm did and he does look like an incompetent
    fool. No one wants to play for this guy or FO.

Read the Winfield lines, the dude was walking around with a jet jersey and yet
    we still cannot close deal and lose the F'r.

ABI.... Always Be Incompetent.

This shi% happened last year as well, Herm to Vinnie, " yeah we will let you go
    and let you be a starter somewhere else"

Badway- " Herm are you out of your F'n Mind? Vinnie stays!"
    I still think it was a good decision for both involved.......every situation is different, I'm talking about the Lynch situation.

Him wearing a Jet jersey was just about being a brown noser in hopes he got more money..........

I've said it before and I will say it again, IF THEY DON'T WANT TO BE A JET in their hearts then I don't want them..........

All League
    Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin+Mar 24 2004, 10:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jet-Zeppelin @ Mar 24 2004, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Knickerbocker@Mar 24 2004, 01:11 AM
    Tongue is a better fit.
    That&#39;s what she said... [/b][/quote]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waterboy
    Between this and Mark Cannizaro&#39;s labasting article, I&#39;m starting to get the feeling that the reporters are not taking too kindly to Herm and Bradway being so hush hush over the Jets moves and their future plans. Both wirters acknowledge this point at least 2-3 times in their story.

Herm and terry used to be very open and candid with the press, even to a fault. The press would usually get some good juicy bits of quotes where Herm should have kept his foot in his mouth. It made for good beat writing though. Now all of a sudden Herm and Terry are about as quiet as can be and the reporters are getting pissed that they have nothing to report. So the best thing they can do is blast the decisions in a column and then go to the FO of the Jets and say "hey if these guys talked to me, maybe I&#39;d understand what their plan is and be able to put a positive spin on it". This is very common and typical of writers who get pissed off that the info isn&#39;t being fed to them.

Don&#39;t get me wrong, I&#39;m not supporting TB and Herm&#39;s moves as I am still on the fence regarding them. But this is typical writer&#39;s temper tantrum.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Mar 24 2004, 11:11 AM
    Between this and Mark Cannizaro&#39;s labasting article, I&#39;m starting to get the feeling that the reporters are not taking too kindly to Herm and Bradway being so hush hush over the Jets moves and their future plans. Both wirters acknowledge this point at least 2-3 times in their story.

Herm and terry used to be very open and candid with the press, even to a fault. The press would usually get some good juicy bits of quotes where Herm should have kept his foot in his mouth. It made for good beat writing though. Now all of a sudden Herm and Terry are about as quiet as can be and the reporters are getting pissed that they have nothing to report. So the best thing they can do is blast the decisions in a column and then go to the FO of the Jets and say "hey if these guys talked to me, maybe I&#39;d understand what their plan is and be able to put a positive spin on it". This is very common and typical of writers who get pissed off that the info isn&#39;t being fed to them.

Don&#39;t get me wrong, I&#39;m not supporting TB and Herm&#39;s moves as I am still on the fence regarding them. But this is typical writer&#39;s temper tantrum.
    Boozer I agree. Herm has gotten killed (by the fans) for being to media friendly. Now they go into a bunker at the writers seem to be turning on them. Interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: at this stage tongue is a better fit....not bad that he has had 9 interceptions in the last two years on a decent seahawks defense. He is going to be 31 in april and has no history of injutries and the man is also one of the fastest safeties in the league. He is a preety decent player and I am glad we got him....I still don&#39;t get all this friggin major uproar about not getting Lynch.

Look at Carolina&#39;s defensive backfield...up until this year NO ONE knew about the DB&#39;s....they had a great D-line and fine LB&#39;s and it allowed the DB&#39;s to play aggressive ball.......I see the Jets going in the same direction.
    We have a pretty good cover corner in Abraham-a physical corner (a proven corner) in Barrett-one of the best nickel backs in Mickens-a good free safety in McGraw (if he could just stay healthy)-and a strong safety that has a solid nfl career. Yeh they are not househod names but sheet these guys can play.

Yesterday I read some post from seahawks fans and some Jets fans made it seem like tongue was terrible.....then I read what the so called experts had to say.....they pretty much said the obvious....tongue is a solid db and he also has 9 picks in the last two years....oh I know there are those that are gonna say he picked off poorly thrown passes etc.....bulls**t&#33;&#33; Getting an interception is getting an interception. The Jets defensive backfield has been upgraded with proven players....we have a good d-line and our linebacking corp will get better.....the draft also is upon us.

This is my spin on this....I&#39;m gonna wait and see these guys play....it&#39;s insane to place judgement and not even think that we are going to have 2004 success.