Thread: Let's go back in time for a second

Waterboy
    OK. So here we are today, revamping our D 2 years after we revamped it during Herm and TB's first year. So I thought I'd look back at some of the choices we could/should have made then and ask you now how you would have felt about them at the time.

We let Glenn and Coleman go to HOU at the price of R Young. Young turned out to not make it in the NFL due to injuries, and getting Coleman and Glenn's contracts off our hands for free was a necessary evil IMO. But my question is this: Should we have stopped there? Knowing today how quickly Jones and Lewis have declined, I think it is a no brainer that we should have taken our medicine at the time and cut ties with them as well. But I aks these questions:

1. How would you all have felt at that time if Herm and TB came in and cut Jones and Lewis and probably Green as well (all fan favorites), along with Glenn and Coleman? Especially with the feeling that we were a playoff team at the time. I think if you were all honest with yourselves, you probably would have flown off the handle. Who the hell are these guys to cut our favorite and best players at the time? The fan backlash would have been astounding, specially if we didn't make the playoffs which we likely wouldn't have.

2. Same goes for Chrebet. How would you have felt if the Jets cut Chrebet, a huge fan favorite and the highest selling Jersey # probably ever for Jets fans.

3. Same goes for Martin. Although I think he is the 1 player we absolutely should have kept, I agree the contract is a bit of an overburden.

Now, if the FO did this back then, we no doubt would be a much better team today because we would have infused alot of youth to go along with the youth we could have kept (Coles, Thomas). Our O would be great with Coles, Moss, McCareins (assuming for a moment we still made the deal). Our D would most likely consist of either Ed Reed at S or N Harris since both positions would have been a major need come draft day and B Thomas would not have been an option at all.

The list goes on, but I think you all get my point. So answer answer fairly, how would you have felt at the time if the FO cut the players back then? How would you have felt if we didn't mak the playoffs that year. Would we still have Herm and TB around now (probably not because e wouldn't have likely made the playoffs at all)? How would you feel today knowing that the 2004 team probably would be one of the better ones in the league? Would you have accepted 3 years of mediocrity for a chance to be great in 2004?

Rookie
    I think you mean Marco Coleman, not Robinson.

To answer your question in general, TB would have been gone by now if he dumped all of the guys you mentioned back then. There was not possible way for him to gut an entire team that could still compete, so now we are where we are. Even if he did gut that team, his drafts have been fair at best, and the free agents he's brought in have been so-so as well. I don't think we're in any better shape if he does what you've writen.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by GreenBeans@Mar 24 2004, 03:01 PM

Thank you, yes I did lol, making corrections now.....do'h :o

All League
    Great, interesting post.

My only dispute would be the "3 years of mediocrity".

Slashing and burning guarantees one year of mediocrity ('00 Patriots, '02 Ravens), but the new talent and cap room makes an impact sooner than you think.

All Pro
    Originally posted by GreenBeans@Mar 24 2004, 03:01 PM
    and I think you mean Marcus Coleman not Marco.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Mar 24 2004, 03:04 PM
    Great, interesting post.

My only dispute would be the "3 years of mediocrity".

Slashing and burning guarantees one year of mediocrity ('00 Patriots, '02 Ravens), but the new talent and cap room makes an impact sooner than you think.
    Fair point. I was just pointing it out more as a worst case scenario.

GreanBeans-I think it would have made a marked difference on where we are today. The B Thomas debacle alone not happening would have been huge. We absolutely ould have either drafted Ed Reed or Napolean Harris with that pick because the need would be too great. TB would never have felt we were in such a nice position that we could take a flyer on some unknown DE form East Kalamazoo state. The focus of just about every draft would have changed greatly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Boozer that was their 2nd year wasn't it?? At any rate I would
    have put Martin in and kept Glenn! Also as much as I love Wayne
    I never would have signed him to that contract! Screw Fan Favorites
    I want a Super Bowl!!And I would have made Major changes the first
    year and put in my vision of what I wanted not rode Team Tuna in
    order to claim some Glory!!

All League
    Fair enough.

I really can't emphasize how good it is to see a post like this. This is what a messageboard in the offseason should concern itself with.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Mar 24 2004, 03:10 PM
    Fair enough.

I really can't emphasize how good it is to see a post like this. This is what a messageboard in the offseason should concern itself with.
    Thanks RS. I decided to start this because we are in the position we are in based on decisions of the past. Alot of the smarter decisions that should have been made would not have gone over well with a fanbase that believed tht Parcells left us with a SB caliber team (which he absolutely did NOT).

Hall Of Fame
    Good post Booze.

Veteran
    Originally posted by jets5ever@Mar 24 2004, 05:13 PM
    Good post Booze, I'd kill to swallow everything you have to give me. I love man juice, it's my only source of protein.
    Come on 5ever, there are kids on this site.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Boozer76@Mar 24 2004, 02:07 PM
    TB would never have felt we were in such a nice position that we could take a flyer on some unknown DE form East Kalamazoo state. The focus of just about every draft would have changed greatly.
    Funny undrafted Josh Evans went to the same school as BT!
    That World renown football factory Alabama-Birmingham!! :lol:
    But the Tuna always said you'll know what you have by year 3
    so it's either the break out of the BT Express or another
    Jet Bust bigger than Dolly Parton!!!

Waterboy
    Originally posted by savage69+Mar 24 2004, 03:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (savage69 @ Mar 24 2004, 03:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Boozer76@Mar 24 2004, 02:07 PM
    TB would never have felt we were in such a nice position that we could take a flyer on some unknown DE form East Kalamazoo state. The focus of just about every draft would have changed greatly.
    Funny undrafted Josh Evans went to the same school as BT&#33;
    That World renown football factory Alabama-Birmingham&#33;&#33; :lol:
    But the Tuna always said you&#39;ll know what you have by year 3
    so it&#39;s either the break out of the BT Express or another
    Jet Bust bigger than Dolly Parton&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t care what school it is Savage, that pick was a ridiculous reach for a player who plays a position we did not need. that pick was a reach then, it still is now, and it always will be as long as Thomas is playing behind Abe and Ellis. Ed Reed was there for the taking. So was harris.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by gmogmo+Mar 24 2004, 03:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gmogmo @ Mar 24 2004, 03:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever@Mar 24 2004, 05:13 PM
    Good post Booze, I&#39;d kill to swallow everything gmogmo has to give me. I love man juice, it&#39;s my only source of protein.
    Come on 5ever, meet me in the breakroom now. I&#39;m so hot for you&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Dammit can&#39;t you 2 keep your nasty lovefest to yourselves. I&#39;m trying to talk serious football here&#33;&#33;&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Boozer76@Mar 24 2004, 02:21 PM
    I don&#39;t care what school it is Savage, that pick was a ridiculous reach for a player who plays a position we did not need. that pick was a reach then, it still is now, and it always will be as long as Thomas is playing behind Abe and Ellis. Ed Reed was there for the taking. So was harris.
    Geez your a hard Guy to agree with&#33;&#33; Duh like I was
    agreeing K... :lol: My point was you can get a undrafted player
    like Evans who can play Rather then waste a first rounder on a
    postion that we already had 2 first rd picks at&#33;&#33; Are we Clear now??

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I love Aaron Glenn to death and still do but I understood the move when it happened.

The Jets just couldn&#39;t cut those guys. They had received huge contracts from the previous regime. The expansion draft helped us because we took them off the books without taking large hits. We were in big time trouble if Houston didn&#39;t help us. Guys like Fabini and Mawae would never have been resigned if not for the expansion draft.

Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis were actually still good players in 2001 and they played good down the stretch in 2002. The problem with Mo is that he was hurt big time and played hurt and his body is not what it used to be. The Jets couldn&#39;t cut Mo Lewis in 2001 or 2002.

Coles should have been resigned. Out of all the guys we let go, Darling, Morton, Thomas,Jenkins, Hall etc

The one guy, we should have kept was Coles. That was a bad move that the media here in New York agreed with at the time. You know, The argument where you can&#39;t pay a WR that kind of money. We had our own #1 WR and we took him for granted and let him go. BAD MOVE.

This front office never had the money or cap room to make a big splash in free agency. They had to sign bargain basement guys or mid-level veterans. Because of the cap, They were forced to hold on to guys like Vinny, Mo and Marvin.

It&#39;s Bradway&#39;s ship right now. 4 years is enough time to judge his drafts and free agent moves. He had more flexibility this offseason than in the past to make moves. Let&#39;s see how 2004 shakes out.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by savage69+Mar 24 2004, 03:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (savage69 @ Mar 24 2004, 03:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Boozer76@Mar 24 2004, 02:21 PM
    Geez your a hard Guy to agree with&#33;&#33; Duh like I was
    agreeing K... :lol: My point was you can get a undrafted player
    like Evans who can play Rather then waste a first rounder on a
    postion that we already had 2 first rd picks at&#33;&#33; Are we Clear now?? [/b][/quote]
    LOL I&#39;m so used to us not agreeing that it is hard to see when we do. Sorry bout that Savage

Veteran
    It was a good post, I just couldn&#39;t resist pullling the old switcheroo....5ever just left it wide open (like I&#39;m doing here....)

People would go nuts if the Jets had done that...rightfully so I think. The Jets were a pretty damn good team 2 years ago, if Penny didn&#39;t play so poorly in that Raider game who knows what happens.

Everybody on the Jets D just seemed to get old at the same time last year, it&#39;s something I fear happening with the Pats veteran D one of these years.

In the NFL things can change in a flash, Jets can just as easily be 10-6 this year as 6-10....just need to catch some breaks, and have some guys over achieve.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by gmogmo@Mar 24 2004, 03:34 PM
    It was a good post, I just couldn&#39;t resist pullling the old switcheroo....5ever just left it wide open (like I&#39;m doing here....)

LOL I know. I&#39;m guessing you didn&#39;t catch the switcharoo I pulled on both of you in one quote

Rookie
    Originally posted by Jetlag+Mar 24 2004, 04:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jetlag @ Mar 24 2004, 04:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--GreenBeans@Mar 24 2004, 03:01 PM
    and I think you mean Marcus Coleman not Marco. [/b][/quote]
    True Dat