View Poll Results: No question avaiable to import.

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • The front office deserves credit, they pulled it off

16 55.17%
  • The Front Office still sucks

6 20.69%
  • They blew that too, I dont want it in Manhatten

7 24.14%

Thread: Who gets credit for new stadium???

Hall Of Fame
    With all the bashing that the FO has taken I was wondering when they were gonna get some credit for this deal, its teh first stadium we will ever have and it was one of the original goals of the new owner when he got here and he came through with it as promised

where is teh credit they deserve, the stadium can't please everyone and I know the tailgaiting will suffer and soem of the traditions will change, but damn man these guys pulled off what no one before them were able to, we will have the most modern and sophisticated stadium in the league and probably in the country and maybe in the world

isn't that worth some respect and props????

All League
    Charter JI Member

It hasn't happened, yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™@Mar 25 2004, 04:21 PM
    It hasn't happened, yet.
    I thought this made it official

or are we just sceptical due to our nature as Jets Fans??

All League
    Charter JI Member

There are an awful lot of financial and legal roadblocks, yet. The announcement is just that - an announcement of their intentions.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™@Mar 25 2004, 04:25 PM
    There are an awful lot of financial and legal roadblocks, yet. The announcement is just that - an announcement of their intentions.
    oops, I thought it was signed sealed and delivered as far as funding

All League
    Charter JI Member

That's what the Jets PR machine WANTS you to think!

All Pro
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™@Mar 25 2004, 04:25 PM
    I don't think there are any financial roadblocks left. The financing is always one of the biggest hurdles and I believe that is all in place. The key roadblocks are the legal, environmental and zoning issues.

Veteran
    I thought it was a done deal. :blink:

NYC, state announce stadium deal. :blink:

By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer
    March 25, 2004
    NEW YORK (AP) -- City and state officials announced a deal Thursday for a $1.4 billion stadium on Manhattan's West Side that would be home to the New York Jets and anchor New York's bid for the 2012 Olympics.

``We will have a home to bring the Jets back from New Jersey, and pro football back to New York City,'' Gov. George Pataki said in making the proposal official.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by LesterLyles+Mar 25 2004, 04:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LesterLyles @ Mar 25 2004, 04:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bob the Jets Fan™@Mar 25 2004, 04:25 PM
    I don&#39;t think there are any financial roadblocks left. The financing is always one of the biggest hurdles and I believe that is all in place. The key roadblocks are the legal, environmental and zoning issues. [/b][/quote]
    No, because all of the politicians haven&#39;t said they are willing to contribute. It&#39;s not a done deal........

All League
    the fron office still sux

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Woody Johnson gets the credit for going into his pocket for another 600 million to pull this deal off.

Banned
    Originally posted by Limolady@Mar 25 2004, 05:09 PM
    Woody Johnson gets the credit for going into his pocket for another 600 million to pull this deal off.
    Whose Pocket?

Wait until the bills go out for the PSL fees. :blink:

Make no mistake we&#39;re the ones who are being asked to finance this project. "Woody the Loser" sure isn&#39;t.

Maxman
    I say Tailgators gets the credit.

All his whining about it made the Republicans all decide that this must be a good thing if Tail hated it so much.

Banned
    This is far from a "done deal". Unless "Woody the Loser" Mayor Bloomberg and our "Part-Time Governor" offer something substantial to the people of upstate New York this is going nowhere as far as the state funding is concerned.

West Side Stadium Plans Unveiled Amid Praise and Protest
    By KIRK SEMPLE

City and state officials formally unveiled an ambitious &#036;2.8 billion development proposal for the far west side of Manhattan today that would nearly double the size of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and include a 75,000-seat stadium for the New York Jets.

At a press conference that had the tone of a pep rally, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said the new complex would generate thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in revenue for the city, as well as revitalize a forlorn section of midtown Manhattan.

"It&#39;s about our future," he declared. He said the project would make the neighborhood "the premiere destination of 21st century New York."

Mayor Bloomberg, who was joined today by Gov. George E. Pataki and other officials, said the stadium would be an essential component of the city&#39;s bid to lure the 2012 Summer Olympics. Planners hope to begin construction by next spring and finish the project in 2010.

But for all the enthusiasm of its boosters, the development project faces several high hurdles, including environmental assessments, zoning approvals and almost-certain legal challenges.

Some neighborhood residents have criticized the plan as a waste of taxpayers&#39; money and a recipe for traffic nightmares, and have mobilized a lobby to block the project.

"It&#39;s not a plan for our neighborhood, it&#39;s a plan for the Jets," Councilmember Christine Quinn, who represent&#39;s the Hell&#39;s Kitchen neighborhood, said today.

She and other protesters, including several city and state officials opposed to the project, held their own rally today at a community park within view of the convention center. They accused the city of subsidizing a sports team at the expense of schools, health care and other public needs that have suffered because of cuts in the city&#39;s budget.

The neighborhood activists said that while they supported the idea of an expanded convention center, a football stadium is unnecessary.

"The mayor and the governor are trying to package a popular Javits expansion into an unpopular football stadium," said Anna Levin, a leader of the Hell&#39;s Kitchen/Hudson Yards Alliance, a neighborhood activist organization that is spearheading the opposition. "We want sensible economic development in this area, but this is certainly not what we have in mind."

Opponents also say the stadium will displace working-class residents, and most everyone from all sides of the debate predicts there will be lawsuits.

Mr. Pataki said the expanded convention center and new stadium would help create more than 15,000 jobs for the city and provide more than 500,000 days of additional hotel bookings per year.

"It&#39;s going to mean economic growth, exciting growth," he said.

Calling himself "one of those long-suffering Jets fans," the governor said the stadium would finally return the football team to Manhattan; it played games at the Polo Grounds until 1963.

"We will have a home to bring the Jets back from New Jersey, and pro football back to New York City," he declared. The Jets quarterback, Chad Pennington, also attended the ceremony today.

As the centerpiece of the Olympic proposal, the stadium would serve as the site of the opening and closing ceremonies as well as the track and field competition, Mayor Bloomberg said.

The city is eager to move the projects forward now, in part, because it wants to show some progress before the International Olympic Committee meets in May to pare its list of candidates for the 2012 Games. The committee will make its final decision in July 2005.

The Jets want to start construction next year so they can move into their new home by their current lease expires in 2008.

The new stadium, to be built over rail yards, is viewed as a significant element in creating a half-mile "convention corridor" that will stretch along 11th Avenue from 30th to 40th Streets.

The stadium would be financed with &#036;300 million each from the city and state, &#036;800 million from the Jets and the remainder from other private sources. The stadium would be built over the rail yards bound by 11th and 12th Avenues, between 30th and 34th Streets.

The &#036;600 million from the state and city would pay for the retractable roof and the platform on which the stadium would be built.

The Jets would also pay an undetermined rent to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which owns the rail yards, according to executives on both sides. The transit agency is also close to an agreement with the city over compensation for the use of the yards, state and city officials said.

The Javits expansion would be financed by &#036;300 million each from the city and the state; &#036;500 million from a temporary &#036;1.50-per-night hotel tax; and the refinancing of the bonds on the Javits.

Opinions vary on the city&#39;s Olympic chances, but real estate and business leaders favor the redevelopment of the far West Side. The city is in the process of rezoning the neighborhood to encourage the development of 30 million square feet of office space over the next 30 years. It also wants to extend the No. 7 subway line west from Times Square underneath 41st Street to 11th Avenue and then south to 34th Street.

Officials said today that the expansion of Javits center north from 38th to 40th Streets would provide more exhibition space and meeting rooms, and would therefore be able to attract larger conventions and present more than one trade show at a time.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by tailgators+Mar 25 2004, 06:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tailgators @ Mar 25 2004, 06:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Limolady@Mar 25 2004, 05:09 PM
    Whose Pocket?

Wait until the bills go out for the PSL fees. :blink:

Make no mistake we&#39;re the ones who are being asked to finance this project. "Woody the Loser" sure isn&#39;t. [/b][/quote]
    Tail, he is one putting the 600 million up front. And if the team still sucks by 2010, who is going to pay those PSL&#39;s? A few corporate sponsors? Some brokers and bankers like myself who will buy the tickets to give out as perks to visiting business associates?

Please, Woody&#39;s rate of return on that 600 million will be long after he is dead, buried and laying next to Leon Hess.

All Pro
    Fine.......

Pick the Jets up and move them to Detroit. We have plenty of abandoned land for a beautiful stadium. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: who cares who gets credit???

I am just happy they are coming back to NYC......I used to love going to Shea watching the Jets.....they left NYC my senior year of High School (84) and I was pissed. Going to the meadowlands was always a beyatch and I got tired of the playing in GIANTS Staduim&#33;&#33;&#33;

All Pro
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Mar 26 2004, 01:12 AM
    :ph34r: who cares who gets credit???

I am just happy they are coming back to NYC......I used to love going to Shea watching the Jets.....they left NYC my senior year of High School (84) and I was pissed. Going to the meadowlands was always a beyatch and I got tired of the playing in GIANTS Staduim&#33;&#33;&#33;
    1984.................... just when I thought I was old.

Just messin with ya freak