Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Williams' status

Veteran
    From CBS sportsline

While Colbert's stock is rising, the stock of teammate Mike Williams is falling. Williams, who is in this draft after just two years at USC, did not take part in the Trojans workout Thursday. He has his own workout scheduled of April 8, which is Good Friday, in Tampa. Williams didn't even attend the Trojans Pro Day workout, which surprised several of the coaches in attendance. "He should have at least come over and talked to some of us," said one coach. "He's hurting himself in a big way. He's getting bad advice from his representation." Some of the teams drafting in the top 10 say they have to sort their draft board, almost making a decision before Williams works out. "It's way too late," said the coach. The thing about Williams is that there is great concern about his 40 time. Some scouts insist he is no better than a 4.7 guy, which is slow by NFL standards. If he runs that slow, he could fall to the bottom of the first round, despite what he did at USC

JetsInsider.com Legend
    its very possible he falls past 12 and even further - the florida colleges like Miami and FSU recruited Mike to play TE not WR - he's not a speed guy and that's not gonna help him in the top of the first round.

All League
    He's a little bit of a faster Keyshawn Johnson. B)

Rookie
    If him and Deangelo Hall are there at 12,who do we take??

I dont think you can pass up Williams

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetFanatic10@Mar 26 2004, 07:23 PM
    If him and Deangelo Hall are there at 12,who do we take??

I dont think you can pass up Williams
    I say we gotta go D. Hall....how do you take a WR when you already have 2 very good WRs (three if chrebet is okay) but still not a single CB with speed and shutdown ability?

Rookie
    Yea I guess so,but wow would Penny have some weapons with Jmac,Moss,and MW.

All League
    Yeah, I dont know what happened. When he first declared he was like a lock for top 10, now he's wavering

I will be shocked if he falls out of the top ten. But you never know, if he is there we have to take him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    tony from TFY (via MSGold) has been saying this for weeks - theres just no way you can take a WR running a 4.7 in the first round, let alone top 5. People talk about guys who didn't test well but even Rice ran a 4.5... 4.7 is dinosaur speed where top WR prospects are concerned. if his upside is keyshawn that's not a great thing for MW. Possession WR who rarely breaks the big one isn't the type of cat that will go super high...

Veteran
    Imagine trading down with a shot a drafting Mike Williams. that is hard to believe. The PAC 10 is an excellent brand of college football. This guy was an elite player period. His size and ability make him ideal for a West Coast offense. Moss, McCareins and M.Williams. I personally think Chrebet is done.

How good would our red zone offense be? Scoring TD's and moving the chains and controlling the clock.

All League
    4.7 and mike williams wont mater......i will say two words and end the discussion.........Anquan Boldin

Banned
    Originally posted by bongo59@Mar 27 2004, 03:06 AM
    4.7 and mike williams wont mater......i will say two words and end the discussion.........Anquan Boldin
    Boldin was coming off of an ACL tear, he wasn't 100% when he ran his 40, hence the 4.7 40.

Teams knew of his speed, if he didn't have the tear he would probably ran a 4.39, but now he'd probably run between a 4.4 and 4.5

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: I feel good about our current set of receivers...I would rather get Deangelo Hall or DJ Williams....we can get another receiver later in the draft.

Veteran
    If they have MW out there and don't pick him up - it will haunt the franchise forever

You can talk about we don't need a WR, but that's not true - this team is built around Chad and you have to do anything you can to help him to win a SB. MW, moss, JMac - would (in 2 yrs) w/ passes from Chad could become one of the best WR combos in a long long time. To pass up on a guy w/ that size and power is just stupid. You can easily take a CB in the 3rd and allow Donnie to groom him.

All League
    Originally posted by The Chad@Mar 27 2004, 11:48 AM
    If they have MW out there and don't pick him up - it will haunt the franchise forever

You can talk about we don't need a WR, but that's not true - this team is built around Chad and you have to do anything you can to help him to win a SB. MW, moss, JMac - would (in 2 yrs) w/ passes from Chad could become one of the best WR combos in a long long time. To pass up on a guy w/ that size and power is just stupid. You can easily take a CB in the 3rd and allow Donnie to groom him.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. It is a tough decision. Hall would be a nice pickup, but WR is not as set as it might appear.

Chrebet's future is at best cloudy. Moss has made no secret out of the fact that he is a Miami kind of guy, and would love to be there. He is a free agent after the 2005 season. If Justin MCC is the kind of WR we hope he is it will really open things up for Moss deep. His value will be sky high in his FA year. We may or may not be able to resign him.

I would normally be very opposed to signing a WR with both our 1st and 2nd round picks, but IMO, Chad is the future, we must assure that he has weapons.

With that said, if they do take Hall, or another defensive stud I will not be disappointed..

I hope the Jets can find some way to acquire a 2nd rounder. This is one of those drafts that could keep the Jets competitive for quite some time.

Banned
    Chad, your completely wrong here, the JETS need to win now, and they need a better defense to win now.

They already have a very good core of wide recievers, but the defense is still lacking.

Moss is the NUMBER 1 guy right now and J-Mac is the NUMBER 2 guy, you really want to blow a pick on a non-need area now, where Williams would be the 3rd reciever.

All I know is, the JETS are definately drafting defense in the 1st round, so you can say you want a reciever all you want, the JETS are drafting the smart way, and thats defense.

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@Mar 27 2004, 12:41 PM
    Chad, your completely wrong here, the JETS need to win now, and they need a better defense to win now.

They already have a very good core of wide recievers, but the defense is still lacking.

Moss is the NUMBER 1 guy right now and J-Mac is the NUMBER 2 guy, you really want to blow a pick on a non-need area now, where Williams would be the 3rd reciever.

All I know is, the JETS are definately drafting defense in the 1st round, so you can say you want a reciever all you want, the JETS are drafting the smart way, and thats defense.
    We're going to draft D. Hall if he is available and D. Robinson if he's not.

Veteran
    MASTERMIND

there is no such thing as winning now, NO SUCH THING. it takes time and players, drafts, coaches, and years to become a great team. That being said, you have to look at the Jets situation. The core of players and our main guys are young (penny, moss, Jabe, Hobson). We also have a DCord who is known to bring up young CB into something else - look what he did in Balt w/ a scrub like Demps. If you have a guy who you KNOW is going to b a star in this league and will help you a lot like MW - u have to take him. WR is a position that evry team can use ESPECIALLY when you have a guy like Penny throwing. He will make an amazing red zone Off w/ his leaping ability and will be the guy to catch the 3 and 5 throws down the middle - so impt to convert on 3rd. This also makes Moss expendable in the future - i love the guy but you give MW 2 yrs and JMac 2 yrs, then moss can easily go and you get another D stud.

If MW is there and they take D.Hall - i won't b pissed, i like Hall - but MW will make them pay w/ his performance in the NFL, i promise

Banned
    Originally posted by The Chad@Mar 27 2004, 01:29 PM
    MASTERMIND

there is no such thing as winning now, NO SUCH THING. it takes time and players, drafts, coaches, and years to become a great team. That being said, you have to look at the Jets situation. The core of players and our main guys are young (penny, moss, Jabe, Hobson). We also have a DCord who is known to bring up young CB into something else - look what he did in Balt w/ a scrub like Demps. If you have a guy who you KNOW is going to b a star in this league and will help you a lot like MW - u have to take him. WR is a position that evry team can use ESPECIALLY when you have a guy like Penny throwing. He will make an amazing red zone Off w/ his leaping ability and will be the guy to catch the 3 and 5 throws down the middle - so impt to convert on 3rd. This also makes Moss expendable in the future - i love the guy but you give MW 2 yrs and JMac 2 yrs, then moss can easily go and you get another D stud.

If MW is there and they take D.Hall - i won't b pissed, i like Hall - but MW will make them pay w/ his performance in the NFL, i promise
    The JETS are drafting defense, and I don't know what to tell you, other then Herms right on target wanting to draft defense in round one, because thats what the JETS need.

They already have alot of offense.

Veteran
    I COMPLETELY AGREEE

i think ur missing what im saying Mastermind . . . they need def. like nothing else AGREED

BUT

there are always people in the draft, if they are there, you have to take them BPA. This is MW, he is a top5 guy who if slips to #12 you have to b on drugs not to take or at least make another team that need a WR (SF) trade a s**t load to get this guy b/c he will b a superstar . . . no doubt