Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why should the JETS draft a reciever in round one?

Banned
    This is ridiculous when I hear what people have to say about the JETS drafting a Wide Reciever in round one, why should they draft a player in round one that would only be the 3rd possibly even the 4th reciever on the team.

The JETS have McCariens and Moss, thats a vey good tandem right there, along with Chrebet who will be back. If Chrebet doesn't come back, they'll find a suitable slot reciever.

Sorry everybody, Fitzgerald and Roy Williams will be long gone by 12.

Mike Williams and Reggie Williams are not going to help this team, the JETS need to draft defense, hate to break it to you, they might have signed Barton, Barrett or Tongue, but they still need alot more speed and play makers in that back seven.

The JETS I know have no intrest of even drafting a reciever in the first 3 rounds.

The JETS aren't drafting a reciever in round one, possibly not at all, sorry to kill your dreams, but be prepared for the JETS to take a Defensive Player in round one of that draft.(PERIOD&#33

Veteran
    I agree 100% defense,offensive line (including tight end) should come before w.r's

Banned
    hey look..if Chrebet doesnt come back...stick J. Carter in the slot or even KEN YON RAMBO.....Rambo has good speed and would stretch the d...

LL

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@Mar 30 2004, 09:03 PM
    This is ridiculous when I hear what people have to say about the JETS drafting a Wide Reciever in round one, why should they draft a player in round one that would only be the 3rd possibly even the 4th reciever on the team.

The JETS have McCariens and Moss, thats a vey good tandem right there, along with Chrebet who will be back. If Chrebet doesn't come back, they'll find a suitable slot reciever.

Mike Williams and Reggie Williams are not going to help this team, the JETS need to draft defense, hate to break it to you, they might have signed Barton, Barrett or Tongue, but they still need alot more speed and play makers in that back seven.

The JETS I know have no intrest of even drafting a reciever in the first 3 rounds.

The JETS aren't drafting a reciever in round one, possibly not at all, sorry to kill your dreams, but be prepared for the JETS to take a Defensive Player in round one of that draft.(PERIOD&#33
    I agree totally...no way you deal your #2 for a WR and then use your #1 for a WR. Not when you have as many needs as the jets do. I'm really starting to think the Jets could be looking to go OT if they trade down.

Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@Mar 30 2004, 05:03 PM

this post could make you look silly come late april they will draft a wr and it will be in the first two rounds. Assuming we trade for a 2nd rounder. Chrebet even if he plays is one play away from retirement, jon carter coming off a bad injury and is still unproven , your right they should draft for depth and wr is a position we dont have any legitimate depth at (sure we have numbers but you do need some talent).. but we will get a wr and two defensive players on day 1 in the draft (once again assuming we trade and pick up extra picks.

Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@Mar 30 2004, 05:03 PM

Chrebet is done and McCariens is unproven. If they pick up a quality WR in the first or second round it wouldn't be the worst move they could make. A back seven player would be better. Just no more DT's!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Why draft a WR at #12?

I'll give your FOUR possible reasons:

Mike Willims
    Roy Williams
    Larry Fitzgerald
    &
    Reggie Williams

Four top end WR's, all of which would be top 3 Material in any other draft class. WR's who are (potentially, like all draft picks) All-Pro Studs for years to come. Players who could solidify the #1 WR spot with the modern prototype WR, Tall, Fast, Strong.

Want more reasons? OK!

Santana Moss will NOT resign when his contract Expires (I'm calling it now&#33
    Wayne Chrebet has TWO YEARS left Max (and one down left minimum). Likely 2004 is it (sadly, I love Wayne).

That leaves us with J.McCareins, and unproven starter (who I think will be great btw) as our only WR of note. People who think J.Carter and Rambo are worthy #1 or #2 WR's smoke too much crack. They have potential to be solid #3's at best and fast food window workers at worst.

More? OK!

The Jets are solid (sort of) at most of the hole positions they had (CB/Safety/LB) thru FA. They are NOT looking for starters for 2004 in round #1, regardless of what WE here think. Wasting #12 on the O-line is simply foolish, since solid starter O-Linmen re more often found in rounds 3 thru 6 than round 1. If the Jets can't trade down and Hall (CB) is already gone and one of the top 4 WR's falls to #12......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, while I wouldn't cry if we picked any of those top 4 WR's (or even Rashaun Woods, he'll be great IMO), I think the JETS go TRADE DOWN, Pick Hall if he's availavle, Pick up Boulware in Round #2 (from the trade down) and then go Safety/O-Line in 3 and 4 (and more if needed).

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

i say draft defense first also but this is one draft where the blue chippers are so deep into the first round that @ 12 we might just not be able to pass on a reciever.....roy, mike and reggie williams could be studs....the best player and most important player on our team is chad pennington and if we have a chance to get him a blue chip reciever and make the reciever spot a power unit for us im all for it..... but only those 3 guys.....after them there isnt another offensive player worthy of 12 for us....all in all though they need defensive backs and linebackers for depth and possible future starters and the smart thing to do is trade down and still get a quality defender......

dont count out trading down and taking an offensive lineman

whatever the jets do whether its offense or defense in the first it cant hurt us cause we have our starters and we need depth everywhe

if we take a reciever in the first and he turns out to be a stud nobody will think back and say we really needed defense that yr.....ALL WE WANT IS THE PICK TO PAN OUT!!!!!!!!

Trade down and make a decision between Carey, Vilma, and Robinson

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Jets are going defense and they are going to address their back 7 on defense. They will go LB or CB.

If The Jets move down, I would consider a TE like Troupe or Watson but that's just me. I think that's the one missing ingredient on our offense.

It's really tempting to go and draft Mike Williams at 12 if he gets there. The Jets don't need him but I wouldn't get mad if they drafted him either.

I think The Jets are going to pick Jon Vilma and I think that DeAngelo Hall will be off the board by the 12th pick. He'll be gone by 10.

I say try to trade with San Francisco and draft Dunta Robinson, maybe Vilma

Undrafted Free Agent
    You can't help but imagine what Chad could do if we added one of the big 3-4 WRs to our current corps. I still hope against logic that Mike, Roy or Winslow fall to us and we keep him. But you have to face the facts:

1 - We ALREADY went WR with our 2nd round pick!
    2 - If one of thoses stud recievers falls to us that makes our #12 attractive to trade for.

We are not going OT at 12, start looking at defensive players. I realized this some time ago. My current guess is DJ Williams or Hall at 12 or a little lower down. It dosent excite me as much but if we can get the ball back to Chad sooner that's a major plus.

Veteran
    If Roy Williams falls to twelve (which I doubt) we should take him. If Kellen Winslow falls, again, you take him. Both are just too talented to pass up.

I don't think you take the other Williamses at twelve (unless Mike runs a 4.5 at his pro day work-out).

If Hall is gone, trading down is the way to go. And we do need to beef up the o-line in third round. This could actually be an interesting draft day.

By the way- Warfish, YJF, good. cogent football thoughts.

All Pro
    who will have more impact plays this year...Roy Williams or Jon Vilma..sorry defensive minds but Roy Williams will be more of a playmaker for the jets than Vilma..

Will Vilma make the jets a GReat Defense this year..NO
    Roy Williams CAN make the jets have a great offense THIS year...

Chrebet is finished! forget about him..
    Roy Williams might be the next RANDY Moss...
    all of a sudden we go from a pretty good offense to a potential St Louis rams Style offense from a few years back..both sides of the ball are shaky..Roy Williams can Make the jets offense Dominant..

All League
    When are people going to learn that the best teams draft according to best available player. Everyone treats this team as if they are the Eagles, meaning they have to draft for need.

This team is a solid team right now with soem holes. But replacing those holes with good players won't help as much as adding impact players. There are no postions, with the exception of quarterback and running back, where you can say this team is set.

JDM...you make the argument that the WR's are set, but are weak at corner? Where I agree we are weak at corner, our receiving core needs work as well. Moss has given us one good season, McCairens has never caught for more than 900 yards, and Carter had a few very good games last year. How is this team set at WR? There are as many question marks at WR as there is at corner.

Do I say we pick any WR? Hell no...but if the BAP is a WR, then that is the way the Jets must go. Personally, I want them to trade down because they need a 2nd round pick, and they could still get a very solid player later in the first round. I wouldnt mind picking Hall at 12, but I personally feel we could get a very good corner later in the first round. Matt Ware appeals to me because of the simple fact he can play either safety or corner. None of the guys the Jets draft will start (with the exception of Guard), so they must pick the player that they feel will help their team in the future the most. Roy Williams and Vince Wilfork will provide more for this team in the future then DeAngelo Hall.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by bman@Mar 30 2004, 06:15 PM
    who will have more impact plays this year...Roy Williams or Jon Vilma..sorry defensive minds but Roy Williams will be more of a playmaker for the jets than Vilma..

Will Vilma make the jets a GReat Defense this year..NO
    Roy Williams CAN make the jets have a great offense THIS year...

Chrebet is finished! forget about him..
    Roy Williams might be the next RANDY Moss...
    all of a sudden we go from a pretty good offense to a potential St Louis rams Style offense from a few years back..both sides of the ball are shaky..Roy Williams can Make the jets offense Dominant..
    Though I agree using BAP is the way to go and would take Roy W over just about anyone ho comes our way except for Sean Taylor, be careful what you are saying there.

WR's take time to develop. Roy would definately have a decent rookie season, but he likely ouldn't light it up. Only Moss and Boldin have really ever done that. Think of it this way: Who had the bigger impact to their team last year, Charlie Rogers or Nick Barnett?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Here is a great comparison:

Would you skip picking Jerry Rice or Randy Moss (by trading down or icking someone else) so you could draft Mo Lewis or Aaron Glenn?

The top 4 WR's in this years drats are the best WR prospects ina VERY long time. They have been compared to guys like R. Moss, Keyshaun (picked #1/#1 remember) and other top top WR's.

Do you give up the opportunity to have one of them to get what could turn out to be a middle of the road LB or CB? A solid, if unspectacular guy who may just fill a Starters spot for a few seasons till he is repalced with someone better?

These WR's have been heralded (by those who know WAY more than me) as potential SuperStars. The LB's we are looking at have not. Even CB Hall has not to the same degree.

Just food for thought.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by Warfish@Mar 30 2004, 06:32 PM
    Here is a great comparison:

Would you skip picking Jerry Rice or Randy Moss (by trading down or icking someone else) so you could draft Mo Lewis or Aaron Glenn?

The top 4 WR's in this years drats are the best WR prospects ina VERY long time. They have been compared to guys like R. Moss, Keyshaun (picked #1/#1 remember) and other top top WR's.

Do you give up the opportunity to have one of them to get what could turn out to be a middle of the road LB or CB? A solid, if unspectacular guy who may just fill a Starters spot for a few seasons till he is repalced with someone better?

These WR's have been heralded (by those who know WAY more than me) as potential SuperStars. The LB's we are looking at have not. Even CB Hall has not to the same degree.

Just food for thought.
    Warfish I will say the same thing I said to Brody. Be careful what you are claiming when you talk about these receivers. Yes they are extremely talented, but there have been many like them who were compared to Moss/Owens/Rice who were all taken very high. Here's a good list:

D Terrell-had tons of hype
    K Robinson-compared to Owens on draft day
    Peter Warrick-we all know about him
    P Burress-1 great year and a couple bad ones. Needs to get on track but he was thoroughly compared to R Moss.
    T Taylor
    Sylvester Morris
    R Jay Soward
    Troy Edwards
    Kevin Johnson
    Kevin Dyson
    Ike Hilliard
    Yatil Green
    Reidel Anthony

All of the above guys were touted as the next Rice/Owens/Moss. ALL OF THEM. Yet they all turned out to be dissapointments or downright colossal busts. Some may be able to turn it around but that remains to be seen.

having said all this, I still think Roy Williams is the right call at 12 if he is there, but be careful when you guarantee his greatness.

Veteran
    if they pass up on roy or reggie - they are making a mistake

build the team around ur star - chad. the WR arent as good as they seem if moss leaves and that is a very good possibility. Give Chad the big, quick target he needs - u wont see these many AMAZING WR at #12 in a long long long time. Passing up on them would b a mistake. Def is a concern but we're years away from the promise-land anyway so draft the guy who will b a stud, not the man who fills ur hole for this season.

All League
    agree