Thread: why the jets won't draft a WR in round 1

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Not only have we given up our 2nd round pick for a 25 yr old WR on the verge of breaking out and becoming a solid NFL wideout (and a 7 year contract), but we're renegotiating with Moss to keep him around for awhile (and you know he's getting top #10 wide out $$&#036

So that leaves the Jets at #12 with their two starting wideouts most likely both signed long term. So even if a Williams slips to them at #12 - what are the odds the Jets are going to give first round money to a player who's not going to be any higher than third on their depth chart, especially when we have other areas of need? I just don't see it happening - UNLESS we are willing to let Moss walk... well, then again, Bradway did draft Bryan Thomas.

TomShane
    I think letting Moss walk has to be a consideration. You're talking about an explosive #2 wide reciever whose agent is going to try and get "Coles money" for. There's no way they should pay Santana huge dough, IMO. This isn't an All-Pro.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by TomShane@Apr 1 2004, 12:44 PM
    I think letting Moss walk has to be a consideration. You're talking about an explosive #2 wide reciever whose agent is going to try and get "Coles money" for. There's no way they should pay Santana huge dough, IMO. This isn't an All-Pro.
    I agree and disagree with TomShane. If Moss is looking for big time Coles/Owens type of money, then I can't see us signing him. I disagree that Moss isn't all pro. He can and likely will be but he will depend heavily on McCareins to become an All Pro. If McCareins becomes a viable threat on the other side, then I think Moss will be great as he will not be facing constant double teams. If McCarein is another Curtis Conway, then Moss is gonna have a real hard time excelling at his position.

The only reason I think the Jets will not go WR is because they'd essentially have gone receiver in round 1 and 2 in the draft if you look at it that way.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    There is NO WAY S. Moss should get Top 5 WR money (or even Top 10 IMO), not now (after only one productive season) and likely not ever.

If Mike Willimas or Roy Williams drops to #12, we have no choice but to take him. The BAP value of either of these two WR's far outweights need when compared to the available LB's, O-Linemen (at that pick) or CB's/Safety's (again, at that pick), especially if CB Hall is gone at that pick (a possibillity) .

Signing Moss long term is fine (I still have my doubts it will happen, unless Moss has fears he won't repeat 2003 and wants to get the $$$ now instead of waiting for FA, and having to continue to prove himself till then).

But McCareins is unproven as a starter or as a #2 (he was the #3 at Tenn) and Wayne is almost done. The other WR's (Carter, Rambo, and others) and all 3rd or 4th tier talent at best. carter has a role as teh skinny depp threat burner, but that's about all (at least from what he has shown so far in his career).

After the three new WR's (Fitz, Williams and Willims), S.Moss will be arguable only the 15th or 16th best WR in the league, if that (and I think MUCH lower actually).

I still say that if Fitz, Willimas (Roy) or Williams (Mike) are still around at 12, we have to take them. Chad needs weapons and a killer O is something we do not have as of right now (solid maybe, but not killer in any way).

Practice Squad
    Regardless of what you may think, if either Mike or Roy somehow drop into our laps; you can quote me the jets will draft either of them, there is no chance they pass on them, these are both WR's that would possibly go #1 in most drafts. Your comments about Moss, if he is going to be asking for top 10 WR money, I don;t think we could possibly do that maybe a lower contract sure but with rosenhaus as his agent we should allready know that will not happen, so we either sing him to a reasonable contract or trade him so we don;t end with nothing in return , that's where a Williams comes in, if moss is let go or traded then that would leave Williams and JMAC on the other side and that would ensure Chad of having serious weapons

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

my thoughts about moss are based on the moss extention thread where his agent made a comment about the money he'll be getting - i think after the coles fiasco, they might overpay for moss.

IF, and i capitalize IF they give moss a big contract, they can't go WR in round 1 - unless they go to a 3 WR offense. J-Mac wasn't signed for 7 years to be a #3 WR (nor did we give up a #2 for a third stringer). i agree Roy and Mike Williams are solid guys, but i'm just thinking from the Jets perspective...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    my thoughts about moss are based on the moss extention thread where his agent made a comment about the money he'll be getting - i think after the coles fiasco, they might overpay for moss.

IF, and i capitalize IF they give moss a big contract, they can't go WR in round 1 - unless they go to a 3 WR offense. J-Mac wasn't signed for 7 years to be a #3 WR (nor did we give up a #2 for a third stringer). i agree Roy and Mike Williams are solid guys, but i'm just thinking from the Jets perspective...
    You make a great point Shuler. IF (big IF) Santana Moss IS resigned for Big $$$ BEFORE the draft, then it doesn't matter if ALL THREE Top Wr's fell to #12, we likely wouldn't pick them. I would be furious at that set of moves personally, but I think you are right on that point.

Of course, the JETS FO is also the one that drafted (in Round #1) Bryan Thomas when they had legitimate Stud DE's in Abraham and Ellis, so you never know with this FO......

All League
    I am someone who is for BAP all the way. However, some people have made some really good points regarding drafting Roy Williams or Mike Williams at 12. If the Jets did do that, it really is like them drafting a WR in round 1 and 2. If the Jets would've done that in any other draft, they would be ripped on by all Jet fans. So when you look at that way, it is really tough for them to pick them up.

However, they still shouldnt just settle for a cornerback or linebacker there. Instead, they have to use this pick as trade bait. If those guys are available there...they have to trade down and get more picks.

Will I be mad if they draft Roy Williams or Mike Williams? Hell no...but the likelihood of that happening is not too good.

All League
    Hmm, I'm thinking the Jets will probably trade their #12 for a #19 or #22, and recup their 2nd rounder. If that happens I would look for them to get the best CB or LB on the board, and take a WR in the second. And of course the best SF on the board in round 3...

If you can come out of the draft with 3 prospects, and one solid starter in the CB/LB position, I think you should go for it!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    roy williams won't drop - the real question is Mike Williams a Better BAP then Tommie Harris/Randy Starks or even Jake Grove?

Veteran
    If Mike Williams is there at no. 12, he'd be be the BAP. If we pick at no. 12, I would take him. He is a perfect West Coast weapon. For a QB who doesn't have the strongest arm, i believe he'd be extremely valuable at scoring TD's and moving the chains.

I'm not opposed to trading down.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    roy williams won't drop - the real question is Mike Williams a Better BAP then Tommie Harris/Randy Starks or even Jake Grove?
    Personally, I don't think it's even close. The only players I would take (If still realisticly available at #12) OVER Mike Willimas would be CB DeAngelo Hall (Stud, Speed, Multiple Uses (KR and CB) AND a Need position (Depthwise in 2004/Starter in 2005). Pretty much everyone else generally thought to be available ~ #12 would be a lesser prospect than Mike Williams.

The problem with the JETS in 2004 Draft is the McCareins trade. While I like McCareins, I think we would have been better off keeping our 2nd rounder. We could have taken Mike Willimas at #12 (if available) or DeAngelo Hall (again, if available) and then taken Boulware in Round #2 (or perhaps WR Rashaun Woods if we took Hall in Round #1).

Mike Williams/Peter Boulware VS. McCareins/Someone else at #12

or

DeAngelo Hall/Peter Boulware VS. McCareins/Someone else at #12

Hard to say which is better IMO. Perhaps the trade WAS the best choice. Only time will tell I suppose.

I still say, with all being what it is, that we should try to trade down and still Get DeAngelo Hall CB, Virginia Tech. He fills NEED while being a better BAP than alot of other possible picks. PLUS he can return Kicks (as well as Moss from what I've seen, i saw him return two in a row against Syracuse (I think)) freeing Moss to be JUST a Stud WR.

Lots of choices and opinions this year. And alot of them sound good either way. THAT is a cool place for the JETS to be, eh?

All League
    if roy is on the board at 12 we have to take him

Banned
    Originally posted by TomShane@Apr 1 2004, 12:44 PM
    Tomshane, your a duchebag, stop insulting Santana.

Why isn't he a #1? Because he's 5'10, tell me what is a number one reciever? Why the F*ck isn't Santana a number one?

Terrell Owens? Randy Moss? Marvin Harrison? Yeh sure they are all number one recievers, and so is Santana, this guy deserves more respect, he proved he can be a NUMBER ONE reciever in this offense.

Veteran
    im not changing my opinion even if you all complain

santana is not worth top 10 WR money anyway you look at it. He is worth the money based on his talent BUT IS NOT b/c of signing of JMac and the ability to draft a very, very. very talented WR at #12 who is bigger than moss. They are putting themselves in such a better position expecially for the future if thye draft the WR and save A TON of $$$$$ on santana. He is great put can be replaced.