Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local linebacker climbing the draft charts?

All League
    Helping Bitonti with his draft site, I noticed something askew from what most draft sites had: NFL teams seem pretty high on Syracuse middle linebacker Rich Scanlon, an Ordell, New Jersey native.

While few, if any, draft sites had the MVP of the Blue-Gray All Star game as "draftable", I was noticing several NFL teams were flying him into town for personal workouts--Scanlan visted Green Bay, Seattle and Denver last week, with more visits likely.

Today, NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported Scanlan should be among the top 10 linebackers selected in the draft, although he doesn't project a round for Scanlon.

Don't know what to make of this player. NFL fans sites have this player nowhere to be found, but NFL teams are flying him around the nation and connected Brandt has him in the top 10 linebackers!

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.asp?play...=187&roster=135

Veteran
    He's a good tackler... he's not THAT good in any one area... I doubt he'd be a starter anywhere.

TomShane
    I've seen him play alot. A good hustle guy, like a slower Teddy Bruschi.

All League
    is he realy Slow?

Banned
    Originally posted by TomShane@Apr 6 2004, 09:23 PM
    I've seen him play alot. A good hustle guy, like a slower Teddy Bruschi.
    There are a lot of really athletic practice squad and special teams players.

And there are a lot of 'hustle' guys who started for championship teams.

All League
    yah we know

All League
    Maybe, he's not as slow as some people expect? Maybe that's were the sudden, increased attention he's getting is due to?

His Syracuse Pro Days reveal a top run of 4.59 in the forty and all his other numbers are above average for his position.....

It's just strange, because none of the draft sites even metionm him. Then all of sudden, you see teams are flying him in for personal workouts, left and right* :o

By the way, Syracuse tackle Kevin Sampson is gaining big time attention too, recently: scheduled to make (or made) visits to the Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers and San Francisco 49ers.

*Teams only get 20 player visits.

TomShane
    I thought the best defensive player the Cuse had last year was Louis Gachelin, DT.

All League
    TS, what really made me take notice was Gil Brandt has him ranked in the top 10 LB's in the draft. People can say what they want about Gil, but he's connected to high degree with NFL scouts.

Actually, Brandt's ranking does make sense, considering the attention Scanlan's getting. Every season there is a player like Scanlon that gets zero attention from fans, but NFL teams like a lot. I'd say he wouldn't go higher than the forth round, but who knows?

Defensive tackle Christian Ferrara also made a trip to Seattle with Scanlan.

Honestly, I don't much about these Syracuse players, other than what's written about them.

Veteran
    Gachelin is the better prospect. He benchpressed 250 TWENTY-FIVE times in his workout. He's small (height-wise), but he'd make a good DL. Scanlon could never ever come close to that 40 time again.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Apr 6 2004, 11:13 PM
    TS, what really made me take notice was Gil Brandt has him ranked in the top 10 LB's in the draft. People can say what they want about Gil, but he's connected to high degree with NFL scouts.

Actually, Brandt's ranking does make sense, considering the attention Scanlan's getting. Every season there is a player like Scanlon that gets zero attention from fans, but NFL teams like a lot. I'd say he wouldn't go higher than the forth round, but who knows?

Defensive tackle Christian Ferrara also made a trip to Seattle with Scanlan.

Honestly, I don't much about these Syracuse players, other than what's written about them.
    Yeah Rigs, I hear ya. Scanlan is a nice player, but he doesn't really jump out at you when he's on the field. He seemed like he worked hard and played hard so it'd be nice to see a guy like that get drafted, but I'd have to see him run a 4.6 to believe he could pull it off.

All League
    Gil Brandt has Scanlon in his top 10 LBers overall......Brandt isn't someone who just studies tape all day in a small video room and doesn't know anybody.....He's friends with all the GM's in the the NFL and many scouts.

If he's claiming Scanlan is Syracuse'stop defensive prospect in the eyes of the NFL, that's good for me :blink:

Whether Scanlan goes as high, or projects as a quality NFL player is a different story.

Here's another reality: 90 percent of all players will never, ever run as fast as they do on Pro Day again.....Players spend 2 months, training for that event alone.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Apr 6 2004, 11:29 PM
    Gil Brandt has Scanlon in his top 10 LBers overall......Brandt isn't someone who just studies tape all day in a small video room and doesn't know anybody.....He's friends with all the GM's in the the NFL and many scouts.

If he's claiming Scanlan is Syracuse'stop defensive prospect in the eyes of the NFL, that's good for me :blink:

Whether Scanlan goes as high, or projects as a quality NFL player is a different story.

Here's another reality: 90 percent of all players will never, ever run as fast as they do on Pro Day again.....Players spend 2 months, training for that event alone.
    Rigs, I'm smart enough to never question you on player rankings and whatnot, all I'm doing is expressing my opinion on the player having seen him play in about 20 games in his career.

If Brandt says he's top-notch then I missed something, obviously. No big deal.

All League
    TS, like I said, I don't know much about him. When I did see him, he didn't really look that terrific either. However, I wonder if I was evaluting him fairly? You know, all the draft sites thought of him as a "non-prospect", so I assumed that was true.

I think I was just suprised to see him get so much attention last week, when I was looking up personal visits....Then to see Brandt praise him as a top 10 LB, was a shock :o

Kind of reminds me of Isiah Kachyvenski from Harvard. In 2000, all the "fan draft sites" had him as an undrafted player, while the Brandt's and Kiper's (connected draft folk) had him rising---He went in round four.

All League
    Rigs, I'm smart enough to never question you on player rankings and whatnot, all I'm doing is expressing my opinion on the player having seen him play in about 20 games in his career.

TS, thanks. However, all I'm doing is defering to Gil Brandt's opinion and all the NFL personal men flying him for personal workouts. Had I not known that, I'd be suprised too.

Here's the truth: I'm not even close to the draft guru around here, as my friend Green Jets & Ham is the man

According to Bitonti, Hammer really does check out players for rankings (got some film, ect.) . I, conversely, am a hack that steals from the connected folk (Brandt, Kirwan, Clayton, Kiper, ect)

Honestly, I do like endorsing players that put up great stats, have a great attitude, then prove in workouts they have athletic ability to boot. If your going to err on a player, you may as well do it with someone that will work hard to get better.

P.S: TS, I see Syracuse's QB is getting zero attention, even from Canada, and is begging NFL teams to try him at fullback.....That seems like a stretch

Brandt's ratings: http://nfl.com/draft/story/7234043

TomShane
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Apr 6 2004, 11:51 PM

TS, thanks. However, all I'm doing is defering to Gil Brandt's opinion and all the NFL personal men flying him for personal workouts. Had I not known that, I'd be suprised too.

Here's the truth: I'm not even close to the draft guru around here, as my friend Green Jets & Ham is the man

According to Bitonti, Hammer really does check out players for rankings (got some film, ect.) . I, conversely, am a hack that steals from the connected folk (Brandt, Kirwan, Clayton, Kiper, ect)

Honestly, I do like endorsing players that put up great stats, have a great attitude, then prove in workouts they have athletic ability to boot. If your going to err on a player, you may as well do it with someone that will work hard to get better.

P.S: TS, I see Syracuse's QB is getting zero attention, even from Canada, and is begging NFL teams to try him at fullback.....That seems like a stretch

Brandt's ratings: http://nfl.com/draft/story/7234043
    Crazy thing about RJ Anderson, he's not fast or particularly mobile, and his accuracy is terrible, but he throws a nice spiral. The SU QB situation is a black hole right now, as prospects are finding out just how committed (stupidly) to the option Pasqualoni is.

Next season they have a bunch of relatively unheralded recruits to pick from to play QB-- none of whom have ever thrown a collgiate pass. Just pitiful.

Practice Squad
    Gachelin is the better prospect. He benchpressed 250 TWENTY-FIVE times in his workout.
    Imagine how many he would have done if he used 225 pounds like all the other players did!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by TomShane+Apr 7 2004, 08:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Apr 7 2004, 08:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Riggins44@Apr 6 2004, 11:51 PM
    Rigs, I&#39;m smart enough to never question you on player rankings and whatnot, all I&#39;m doing is expressing my opinion on the player having seen him play in about 20 games in his career.

If Brandt says he&#39;s top-notch then I missed something, obviously. No big deal.
    TS, thanks. However, all I&#39;m doing is defering to Gil Brandt&#39;s opinion and all the NFL personal men flying him for personal workouts. Had I not known that, I&#39;d be suprised too.

Here&#39;s the truth: I&#39;m not even close to the draft guru around here, as my friend Green Jets & Ham is the man

P.S: TS, I see Syracuse&#39;s QB is getting zero attention, even from Canada, and is begging NFL teams to try him at fullback.....That seems like a stretch

Brandt&#39;s ratings: http://nfl.com/draft/story/7234043
    Crazy thing about RJ Anderson, he&#39;s not fast or particularly mobile, and his accuracy is terrible, but he throws a nice spiral. The SU QB situation is a black hole right now, as prospects are finding out just how committed (stupidly) to the option Pasqualoni is.

Next season they have a bunch of relatively unheralded recruits to pick from to play QB-- none of whom have ever thrown a collgiate pass. Just pitiful. [/b][/quote]
    TS-

The darndest thing was that in all the garbage time games Patterson got in, he never threw ONE pass.

I can only recall him dropping back once, and I think he pulled it down and ran for a no-gainer.

When your starting QB is a senior, how do you not let the back-up throw a pass or two.

Now we have a guy with two rebuilt knees and a dropback guy from Canada trying to run the option, or a true freshman who is probably best suited for the job.

Totally stupid.

Personally, I thought the best SU defender from an atheletic standpoint (not production and not in terms of maturity) was Dumas (and my opinion&#39;s probably skewed from what he did two years ago in one game).

TomShane
    Word. Jamel Dumas was one bad SOB before all of his injuries.

Veteran
    I agree with that. As for the QB situation, I&#39;m pulling for Joe Fields, the next McNabb. I met the guy once last year. He was walking through WAER getting a tour with his dad when he was a senior in HS. He said he had some broadcasting aspirations, but was being recruited for football. We all introduced ourselves, said we needed someone like him to come here. Seemed like a nice kid.